PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt Earp's Shoulderstocked Colt with "Ned" Deeply Engraved in Butt

Silver Jack Hammer
04-23-2013, 09:34 AM
B.J. McCutcheon's Peacemaker serial no. 67,074 has his name neatly gang stamped on the butt of the walnut grips and has holes for the attachment of carbine stock. The work was clearly aftermarket and no factory records of Colt would produce a record these alterations on the gun when it left the factory. Pics of this Peacemaker are on page 55 of Keith Cochran's "Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedia." The first volume.

Recently I came across one of those articles which so clearly proved that Wyatt Earp did not have one of those what we now call "Buntline Specials" with the elevator rear sights and skeleton shoulder stock that were produced by the Colt factory ranging in serial number 28,800 to 28,830. Those guns were not even called Buntline Specials back then, they were called Revolver Carbines.

No where is it recorded that Wyatt Earp ever had a revolver with an elevator rear sight, he describes his long barreled Colt as having a wood detachable stock, not a skeleton stock and a long barrel, and Ned deeply engraved in the butt. These articles are great at disproving something Wyatt Earp never said.

B.J. McCutcheon's Colt does match very closely aftermarket work similar to what Wyatt Earp describes as having been done on his gun which he said he received along with other peace officers from E.Z.C. Judson. B.J. McCutcheon's Colt has a 7 1/2" barrel, Stuart Lake's notes document Wyatt Earp saying the Colt's he received had a 10, not a 12 inch barrel.

Stewart Lake mailed communications to Earp's associates in Alaska asking about the whereabouts of Earp's long barreled gun, and I read on the internet that when E.Z.C. Judson was found deceased a long barreled Colt was found among his possessions, so that must be true.

MtGun44
04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Earp said he lost the gun in a boating mishap in an Alaskan creek. Somehow
I take this sort of thing at face value when written by the actual lead character.
Plus there was no 16" requirement then, so a "long barrel" could be anything over
the std military 7.5", even a 10" would be long.

Bill