PDA

View Full Version : lyman bullet sizing dies

dakota
04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I've had most of my dies stolen along with my new large RCBS pot and a couple of moulds. :cry: The only sizing die I have is for my 44 special and magnum. I'm going to need to buy more dies and top punches. I'm missing dies and top punches for the following calibers - .22, .244, .25, .264, .270, .284, .308, .313, .358, .458

The bullet sizing press is at least 60 years old.

I have a couple of questions.

Should I buy a new set up? (Grease leaks buy the seal as I force the grease into the grease grooves on the bullets.) If I do, what should I buy? Where should I buy it for the best price? (I'm trying to not upset my wife too much.) Is there a discount place for the Lyman dies? What pot should I buy?

The only pots that I have is an old small Lee pot and a cast Iron pot for stove top use.

The dies from Lyman are $30.96 ea., the dies alone are over $300 from Lyman. I'm not sure about the top punches.

I guess I sound cheap and I guess I am.

RickinTN
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Although like many places they are out of stock of many sizes Midsouth Shooters Supply seems to have pretty good prices on size dies. Their service is great and I buy most of my supplies from them. I'm thinking their Lyman size dies are in the $22 to $23 range.

Rick

Mk42gunner
04-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I hate thieves.

I like the RCBS Lubamatic better than the Lyman 450, I haven't used the LAM II or the 4500. Liek Rick said, Midsouth usually has the best prices on Lyman H&I dies.

If most of your boolits are flat nosed, I would use a 1/4" bolt with a dressed down head for a top punch.

If you're not in a real big hurry, you might get lucky down in the swapping and selling forum, and maybe placing a post in the want to buy section.

Robert

dakota
04-24-2013, 07:04 AM
I hate thieves.

I like the RCBS Lubamatic better than the Lyman 450, I haven't used the LAM II or the 4500. Liek Rick said, Midsouth usually has the best prices on Lyman H&I dies.

If most of your boolits are flat nosed, I would use a 1/4" bolt with a dressed down head for a top punch.

If you're not in a real big hurry, you might get lucky down in the swapping and selling forum, and maybe placing a post in the want to buy section.

Robert

I'll do that. I'm pretty sure who it was... A guy I paid to help me move. I'm in my 60's and overweight. My back won't handle moving as it used too.

imashooter2
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
If the press you have is a Lyman 45, you can fix the leaking by swapping in the pressure nut and O rings from the 450 / 4500 presses. The parts are currently available from Lyman for nominal cost.

dromia
04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Bummer, weren't you insured?

Tazman1602
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Bummer, weren't you insured?

I'll bet there's a deductable Dromia...............I just about pooped when I found out my homeowners insurance would only cover $xxx amount of guns and I have $xxxxxxx amount INTO guns. My insurance agent did NOT want to write me a rider for the policy but did awful quickly when I told her I'd just move ALL of my insurance to another provider.

To the OP I am SOOO sorry to hear that, I have found that flat-nose punches work best for what I load which is usually flat nose bullets, they also take care of any press misalignment issues you might have. Really sucks to trust someone and then have them screw you over..............

Art

dakota
04-24-2013, 04:00 PM
If the press you have is a Lyman 45, you can fix the leaking by swapping in the pressure nut and O rings from the 450 / 4500 presses. The parts are currently available from Lyman for nominal cost.

THANKS

And I'll check into the insurance thing.

sparky45
04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
There's a couple of guys on here that make Lyman/RCBS boolet dies, might give them a holler.

dakota
04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Insurance max's out at 1,000 unless I pay $2 per $100 worth of value per year (for guns and related equipment). Then I have $1,000 deductible so if I lose anything over $2,000 I get $1000 max.
My insurance agent told me of a guy in Iowa on a farm -- that was insured and had the following happen to him. He had a huge safe in the basement with >$60,000 worth of guns in it and when he was on vacation someone came with a vehicle put a long chain down to around his safe, pulled it up the stairs, ruining his stairs and walls and door ways and damaging his floors. They towed the stuff out of the house and loaded it up and hauled it off. That insured guy had similar insurance as mine.