PDA

View Full Version : Lubes and Powder Deterioration

akennyd
04-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Hello All,

Great Site!!! I've learned a lot lurking around here!!!

I have searched some on this but couldn't find anything so forgive me if I'm missing something.

I have just started casting boolits and have just made my own boolit lube...my question is this: No matter what process you use to lube your boolits, chances are that you will get some lube in your case with your powder. Does this break down (deteriorate) the powder over time?

I have always made sure that my powder and primers were kept well away from any petroleum products...just makes me wonder a little as most bullet lubes have some sort of petroleum product, oil or grease as an ingredient. Petroleum Jelly for example.

Thanks,

Kenny <>(

btroj
04-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Over time I am sure some degradation does occur. Key is this, how long is too long to store loaded ammo with cast bullets?

Heat is a key player. If the ammo gets hot enough for the lube to soften them the likelihood of powder contamination goes up. Keep the ammo cool and the lube will stay where it belongs.

I have shot ammo that was loaded with cast 10 years ago, no issues. It was stored in a cool place. I am sure others have shot ammo stored far longer than that with no issues.

Lubes with a lower melt point are more likely to be an issue.

I suppose the real answer is to not leave ammo intended for critical use lying around for long periods of time.

Case Stuffer
04-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Some use a rag/pad to remove lube from the base of thier boolits others do not. Some use soft lubes,some hard and some use tumble lubes of different blends. THre only boolits I ever cleaned lube from were ones lubed in Lyman or RCBC sizer/libers which had massive quanities of lube on their bases.

I have ammo loaded over 30 years ago with Lee Alox lubed boolits which has been stored mostly in non climate controlled shop /shed and it still fires just fine. I pulled a few rounds down and checked the boolits and the lube was still all in place and the powder was not lumpy.

cajun shooter
04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
If you do a search in the lube section under making your own lubes you will find over 200 receipes on different lubes. There is a ton of information if you do the correct searches. There are probably more than 150 postings on the very thing you ask. Members have been discussing this since I came on board. Later David

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 12:25 PM
think about it like the candles sitting on the shelf.
some of those candles melt pretty easily when it gets hot, and some don't.
unfortunately that is not the only criteria you need to look at when it comes to boolit lube.
anyway keep the lube in the lube groove and keep the lube groove sealed by the case.
this keeps things separated and lessons the chances of contamination.

shooter93
04-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Rounds I loaded in 1976 have shown no signs of deterioration. Velocity and accuracy is the same as when they were first loaded.

exdxgxe4life
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
While I can't speak specifically to your situation, I can't imagine you're doing any harm. If you let it sit for a decade or two, I would maybe, repeat, maybe be worried, but I would think temperature variations would do more damage then your lube.