PDA

View Full Version : Moving across the country, should I sell my lead?

nouseforaname1246
04-23-2013, 01:59 AM
So im moving from nevada to Pennsylvania at the end of the summer. I plan on loading everything I own in a trailer and pulling it behind my truck. The one dilemma im having is, what to do with all of my lead? I have right around 2000 lbs of lead and putting that in the trailer will probably put me over my towing capacity. Should I try towing it? Should I sell it all off locally and buy more when I get to Pennsylvania? Should I freight it to my new address? Just looking for some ideas of what to do.

gmsharps
04-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Check to see how much weight you have left on your truck and put what you can in it. If you can figure out what weight you have left for the trailer max it out. Just watch the weight distribution and not have to much on the tongue or the back end. I'm assuming you have it smelted already. No need in hauling metal clips or jackets you don't need besides the ignots stack better anyway. Lead is not getting any easier to get. The down side is will the reduction in fuel ecomomy be worth it. I don't think it would be much but that is a consideration. Depending on how much is left you could flat rate box some to your new location and use the postage as moving expenses on your taxes. Just some thoughts.

Sasquatch-1
04-23-2013, 07:56 AM
If you broke that down into 50 lb MFRB's and sold them for $65.00 each that would put right around $2000.00 after shipping in your pocket. Problem is you would have to pay $2600.00 to replace it at the same price when you get to PA. Do you have any friends in the area who would be willing to send you a MFRB every so often?

fishhawk
04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Here is another idea we do have members in PA you may be able to send MFRB of lead to all summer that they could store for you until you get there yourself and give them a box of lead or 2 for there trouble just a thought.

LeadRecycler
04-23-2013, 08:28 AM
What part of PA are you moving to?

Sasquatch-1
04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
What region of Pennsylvania are you moving to? PA. is a big state and as mentioned you might find that there is someone near where you are moving who would be more then willing to help out.

nagantguy
04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Here is another idea we do have members in PA you may be able to send MFRB of lead to all summer that they could store for you until you get there yourself and give them a box of lead or 2 for there trouble just a thought.
That is the best idea yet. Helping out and being helped all at once. We all need to look out for one another.

Pmc
04-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Another idea is to rent a larger uhaul and a dolly and tow your truck.

OR

Split the difference. Load 1000 lbs and sell 1000 lbs

Love Life
04-23-2013, 08:45 AM
I would take it with you if you can.

If you decide to sell I live 2 hours from you in Wellington and I would like to buy some. I'd drive to you...

Jon
04-23-2013, 08:47 AM
I would say, try to sell it locally, and then replace it when you get to PA. Moving that much across country will be expensive and hard on your truck. Keep 100lbs or so to get you started. You may be able to replace it without losing too much $.

obssd1958
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Figure out how much you can put in the trailer without being over weight, and then bring some to NCBS.
Or if you can't go to NCBS, I will be in Reno in June and maybe we can work something out then.

Defcon-One
04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
I'd keep some of the best, like 250 lbs., and take it along. I'd sell the rest locally, to avoid the shipping costs, and then use that money later to rebuild your stash when you get to PA.

The 250 lbs. will be a good supply to get you started and it will keep you from going solo with no lead at all. In PA they still have lead wheel weights, so it won't take too long to accumulate some lead. Besides, the collection process will help you get to know the area and your new neighbors in PA.

Half the fun of this smelting/hoarding process is the exploring for treasure (Lead). You have an opportunity to do it all over again on new ground. Hauling 2,000 pound of anything clear across country is a real PITA. For Gold, I would do it. For lead, not me!

cajun shooter
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Having a large stash of a known alloy is almost priceless. Good lead is not becoming any easier to find for the same price that you probably paid for yours. I have purchased lead from several sources and sometimes it's not close to what it was said to be.
If you can find a way to hold on to it then that would be the top choice.
fishhawk gave you a great suggestion. I would do that with a proven member.
As I said,if it was me I would do all that I could to keep the lead. Later David

cbrick
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
A year ago I moved from CA to Arkansas and brought all of my lead with me. I rented a U-Haul box truck & car trailer & towed the car, about half the lead was in the truck. A friend towed my cargo trailer with his F-450 which had the other half of the lead in it.

I doubt in this day & age I could replace what I have now at least not very easily, I suggest you keep what you have. Might be a hassle to move it but once the move is done your lead supply won't be.

Rick

NewbieDave007
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
How about looking for a member near where you are moving to that is willing to sell lead, finding out what price they want, and selling your current stash for the same price you would be paying the PA member? Ideally, you would sell yours locally (reno) and buy it locally (PA) so that there isn't a shipping cost. 2000 lbs sold in Reno + 2000 lbs bought in PA + no shipping = [smilie=w:

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
this is me being me so take it for what it's worth.
i'd look into crating and freighting it with a trucking company like yellow or something.
it might cost you 250.00 to ship it to yourself.
but that would be cheaper than replacing it, and a lot easier than hauling it.
2,000 lbs on a cross country trip is a lot of weight wearing on tires and fuel mileage.
you might be able to work a deal with a member for 100 lbs or something to have him ship it a week after you leave so you are there to unload it.

I try to keep as many boolits made up in buckets and such as possible, as that is easier for me to justify moving a lot easier than 3 square feet of ingots is.

btroj
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I would investigate all options on shipping before I sold it. Getting lead in the new place may not be easy.

Run, those aren't bullets. Those are just bore sized ingots.....

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
once they are lube/sized they become components, and are thus part of the reloading room...

nouseforaname1246
04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok so im going ro be moving to blairesville, about 30 min east of Pittsburg. Anybody out there selling lead? I do like the idea of bringing it to the nvcbs since im planning on being there anyways. I will probably sell off all but about 200 lbs. I am g lad to hear pa has lead wheelweights still. They are few and far between here in reno.

nouseforaname1246
04-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I could also go buy a bigger truck instead lol that f350 turbodiesel lariat has been eyeing me everytime I drive past it. We could call that a moving expense :D

FredBuddy
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
In today's politcal environment, do whatever you can to keep it !

Hickory
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
How much does your wife weigh?
Never mind, it was just a thought.

John Allen
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
So im moving from nevada to Pennsylvania at the end of the summer. I plan on loading everything I own in a trailer and pulling it behind my truck. The one dilemma im having is, what to do with all of my lead? I have right around 2000 lbs of lead and putting that in the trailer will probably put me over my towing capacity. Should I try towing it? Should I sell it all off locally and buy more when I get to Pennsylvania? Should I freight it to my new address? Just looking for some ideas of what to do.

Where in PA Are you moving to? My business is in Norristown, PA If you need some lead stored and are close just let me know I can help you out. John

fecmech
04-23-2013, 09:01 PM
When I though I was moving to Missouri I brought about 1200 lbs of lead on a small trailer behind my Camry when we came to visit relatives. It was in ingot form and took up next to no room on the little trailer. I didn't even notice the additional weight except when accelerating or stopping and then not much. It only knocked about 1 mpg off my Camry's usual average so I would say take it with you. BTW we didn't move to Mo. and I hauled it back 2 years later. I'll bet it didn't cost me $20 to haul that lead 2000 miles!

frkelly74
04-24-2013, 05:28 AM
I hate to say it but lead goes for $2 a pound on ebay and you could make more money out of it that way. That does no one here any good but might help you not to get into a deficit spending situation if you can replace your supply at non ebay prices.

winelover
04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
I have to agree with run5run. Before I moved from Detroit to Arkansas, I turned almost all of my alloy into components. I had at least a five gallon bucket of every caliber I load for. While I was building the new house, every time I came down, I brought as much of my reloading gear my full size 3/4 ton van would carry. Twice, the wife and I, each drove loaded vans (I own two) for 13 1/2 hours straight thru. I looked into renting a U-haul type vehicle but only the largest in their fleet have cruise control. Between the poorer gas mileage and driver fatigue, I figured I'd be better off driving the two vans. Wouldn't have to stop for the night and possibly become a victim of theft. By the way, you can't legally transport powder or primers in rental trucks.

Winelover

cbrick
04-24-2013, 08:11 AM
By the way, you can't legally transport powder or primers in rental trucks. Winelover

Really?

Hhmmm . . .Good thing I didn't know that when I moved to Arkansas huh, all of mine came with me.

BTW, the mid size U-Haul (box/van) I used did have cruise control.

Rick

garym1a2
04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Mail all the lead to yourself in flat rate boxes, this will cost about $400.
[

bobthenailer
04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
I would not sell your satsh ! ony as a last resort ! i live in Charleroi PA about 1 hour from Blairsville,
you could send me some and pick it up from me at a later date!
I do go through Blairsville about 3 times times a year and could drop some off to you then about 400lbs at a time

Please send a PM if intrested !

338RemUltraMag
04-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok so im going ro be moving to blairesville, about 30 min east of Pittsburg. Anybody out there selling lead? I do like the idea of bringing it to the nvcbs since im planning on being there anyways. I will probably sell off all but about 200 lbs. I am g lad to hear pa has lead wheelweights still. They are few and far between here in reno.

I am in Bedford, PA if you freighted it up here I could hold it for you. Blairsville is less than an hour away by 22 East then 99 south, I even have a spot where tractor trailers can pull in to unload.

There are a few people on here that can vouch for my character and I will not screw you over. Just a thought!
Try R+L carriers, Yellow, Pitt Ohio, and even UPS freight

Josh

beagle
04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I had that dilemma about 6 years ago but mine was a short move so I moved it. I had more than you did and moved it about 300 pounds at a whack in multiple shipments. Lead is a bear to haul as it shifts on you unless in flat boxes.

Think I'd convert it into $$$ by selling ingots in Swappin and Sellin and procure in PA when I got moved./beagle

stinjie
04-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Welcome to PA,neighbor!I get to travel through Blairsville on summer weekends,on our way to Yellow Creek Lake for some pontooning.Can you sell just enough to cover shipping costs of the remainder?There are some scapyards around,and a gang of small tire service shops around the area.

lightman
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I would not want to get rid of my stash. It took too long to scrounge it up. and sort it! and smelt it! I would either move it or ship it to one of the members who offered to help. By the way, its good to see you guys stick together! Good on Ya for trying to help a fella! Lightman

popper
05-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Haul it yourself, some in the trailer, some in the truck, keep tongue weight under the rating for the hitch, use the ingots to balance the trailer. Make sure the trailer has working brakes. I used to haul a 2000# camper behind a VW bus through the mountains of Co and never had a problem, actually would forget it was back there on I-70 @ 80 mph. Won't make any difference in gas mileage.

fishboy747
05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
I would look at a site called u-ship and see what someone might bid to haul it for. I had a boat hauled from nor cal to seattle for 265.00 it might be worth a try.

lightman
05-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Now thats an Idea! Shipping wars! Lightman

JIMinPHX
05-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I had the same dilemma about a year & a half ago. If I had it all to do over again (& I hope that I never do), I would mail myself 3 large flat rate boxes full of my best alloy & sell the rest, then buy new after the move.

JIMinPHX
05-14-2013, 10:36 PM
By the way, you can't legally transport powder or primers in rental trucks.

Winelover

Do you have an original source on that info? I'd like to learn more.

dilly
05-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I think you ought to look into the PODS system. They let you fill it, they pick it up and deliver it, and you get to unload it. You could of course put a lot of y our other items in there with it to make the move easier. I don't know what it costs though.

Oreo
05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Any idea what a solid block of lead the size of a PODS container interior weighs?

Larry D.
05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
We did the Pod thing when we moved last time.
That's an awesome way to do it.
You get a week to decide what you want in there and load it.

375RUGER
05-15-2013, 12:04 AM
By the way, you can't legally transport powder or primers in rental trucks.

Winelover

Who's transporting powder and primers? You must mean those barrels of black pepper and ice cream sprinkles.

GLL
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Palletize and ship !

Jerry

winelover
05-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Do you have an original source on that info? I'd like to learn more.

Just the horses mouth. Went to both U-Haul and Budget, interviewed them and picked up their brochures.

Winelover

winelover
05-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Who's transporting powder and primers? You must mean those barrels of black pepper and ice cream sprinkles.

Just don't get caught. If and when a problem arises, you can count on an investigation. BTW, your car insurance doesn't cover rental trucks. You must purchase from them, or so I've been told.

Winelover

cbrick
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
I used a U-Haul box van & car trailer to move a bit over a year ago. Had all my powder & all my primers in it. I didn't ask them if it was alright if I kept my bought & paid for property and they didn't mention anything about transporting such things. Also saw nothing in any of their paper work to say it was a no-no.

With things as they are today it's a mighty good thing I kept it all, can't replace it now.

Rick

winelover
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
We did the Pod thing when we moved last time.
That's an awesome way to do it.
You get a week to decide what you want in there and load it.

We looked int the POD thing. The problem was they wouldn't drop off at my Detroit address ( which is ludicrous) nor would they deliver to my new address. Closest delivery was Springfield Mo. about two hours north of me.

Winelover

cbrick
05-15-2013, 07:24 AM
I looked into the POD thing also and while I could get one dropped off at my old address, like Winelover my two choices were Springfield, MO or New Orleans. What good is that and they were quite pricey.

Rick

winelover
05-15-2013, 07:27 AM
I used a U-Haul box van & car trailer to move a bit over a year ago. Had all my powder & all my primers in it. I didn't ask them if it was alright if I kept my bought & paid for property and they didn't mention anything about transporting such things. Also saw nothing in any of their paper work to say it was a no-no.

With things as they are today it's a mighty good thing I kept it all, can't replace it now.

Rick

IIRC, I specifically asked. Probably not about primers and powder, per se, but rather loaded ammunition which would be safer to transport. IMO.

JIMinPHX
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Any idea what a solid block of lead the size of a PODS container interior weighs?

I think that lead is roughly 700 pounds per cubic foot, just off the top of my head. That POD is a lot of cubic feet. I'm pretty sure that if you filed it, you would be over the 72,000 pound freight truck highway weight limit.

dilly
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I think that lead is roughly 700 pounds per cubic foot, just off the top of my head. That POD is a lot of cubic feet. I'm pretty sure that if you filed it, you would be over the 72,000 pound freight truck highway weight limit.

Haha, the full pod would be outrageously heavy. But I'm willing to bet a pod with 1 ton of lead and some other stuff would weigh about what 1 ton, plus the weight of the pod, and the weight of the other stuff comes out to.

badbob454
05-17-2013, 02:13 AM
2000, pounds is 40 medium flat rate boxes 50 pound each 40 x $12.50=$500.00, SELL ALL BUT 200 POUNDS AND SHIP THAT WITH YOU ,( SORRY CAPLOCK ON) then aquire new sources after the move .

handyman25
05-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Look into shipping your lead by rail. Shipping by rail in the past was cheap. It is not fast but if cheap enough who cares.

Chilmonty
05-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Sell everything else you own, and just take the lead and your guns!
Thats all you really need in life anyway. :kidding:

mold maker
05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't count on replacing your lead in Pa or else where. It is disappearing at an alarming rate. Most is scrapped and sold overseas. no new cars with lead WWs, and most car wheels now require stick on which don't include lead.
Having a stash is money in the bank.
Spend what it takes to ship it to Pa.

powderburnerr
05-20-2013, 04:26 PM
there is at least one foundry close to Cabot Pa, you may be able to get lead from, I have no particulars other than that.

Lance Boyle
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd have to go with Jon, keep some to use so you're not completely out. Sell the rest and start collecting when you settle down.

My main concern is the 2000 lbs going cross country. That's a lot of driving and I wouldn't want you to deal with truck and transmission issues or heaven forbid some kind of vehicle accident exacerbated by being overloaded.

I would say, try to sell it locally, and then replace it when you get to PA. Moving that much across country will be expensive and hard on your truck. Keep 100lbs or so to get you started. You may be able to replace it without losing too much $.

freebullet
05-23-2013, 03:54 AM
I have strict no lead left behind rule. Throw it on evenly distributed and slow down to compensate. Id sell other belongings before the lead.

sparkz
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I would look at a cost to Palatalize it or Crate it and send it freight, I would take costs and divide per pound and if it was not to bad (and I bet 2000Lbs) is very doable, Ship it to a freight terminal or friends place with a dock,, Truth is Once you do sel it, you will find other places to spend that money and will be years before you see volume like you have again, and you will have to pay a premium on it as costs are up to boot,, so all costs the same keep what you have now

(I moved our house and most of our company 500 miles one truck at a time, And I am Glad I did)
Patrick