PDA

View Full Version : Identify and Value of an old Star Press

possom813
04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
A friend of mine got this from his father in law and wants to sell it.

He's asked me to sell it for him and I'll have it in my possession in a few days.

The big problem is that I have no clue as to what it's actually worth, or what to call it or what it really is.

Any insight would be appreciated, I haven't gotten to put my hands on it yet, so what do I need to look for and how do I make it function properly. All I know is there is a box of extra stuff with it, but he doesn't know what all of it is, and it's setup for .38spcl.

Kevin Rohrer
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
It is worth quite a bit. Check Ebay and you will get an idea.

There is an area here for Star; ask you questions there. And there is a site just for Stars.

GunWhoreDer
05-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Looks to be in nice shape with the optional Case Feeder system.
Negatives are the bent Primer Magazine, missing Case Feed Tube and missing Powder Measure Reservoir.
I would guess value at $450-$500 as is. Good Luck on your sale.
GunWhoreDer

wv109323
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
The press appears to be the "Progressive" model and not the more desirable "Universal" model. The Universal had a "Tab" that was adjustable at each station of the shell plate to compensate for the various diameters of different caliber sizes. The Progressive press did not and therefore could only load .38 Special or .357 Mag. ammo.
The powder slide appears to be the "O" size. IIRC the thickness of the "O" powder slide is 1/4". The thin powder slide limits the amount/weight of powder that can be thrown. Star had 3/8" thick powder slides that were called the "OO". They are more versatile. Also available were powder slides that were 1/2" thick for some of the larger calibers. Bent primer tube and no powder hopper or lid.
The person that buys it will be spending $100.00 to get it in working shape. Not that many people are loading .38 Special anymore. Most anyone that has a Star already has a set up for .38 Special so the dies are not that desirable.
I don't want to bust your bubble but I don't think it is worth as much as others have told you. You did not mention anything about additional powder slides, primer pickup tubes or other accessories. That would affect value also.
IIRC there was a Progressive that was complete on E-Bay and it went for around $300.00 about a month ago. Put it on E-bay and see what you can get.

Pertsev
06-03-2013, 10:13 AM
$250-300 is about right.
The progressive can be used also to load 38 S&W ,38ACP/38Super and with modification can load 9mm Para.
The mods to load 9mm Para will cost about $200-300,depending on where and what you buy and how much work is needed.
The old STAR machines are a joy to use.

JohnFreeman
06-30-2013, 08:52 AM
There's a few parts out of place on that picture but it looks like a nice press.