PDA

View Full Version : 32 Mag Revolver Loads

ordway
08-09-2005, 06:42 PM
What would be the high and low range of powder charge in 32 mag using Winchester WST powder with a 98 gr. SWC bullet?
Thanks. I'm at: www.ordway.intergate.com.

Buckshot
08-10-2005, 02:55 AM
...........Our current 32 Mag afficianado, Deputy Al should chime in here before too long. I know a couple other board members hame such peestols, too.

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
08-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Ordway--

I have never used WST powder in any application--shotshell or metallic. The 32 Magnum does good work with a pretty wide range of powder speeds, and is largely user-friendly in terms of fuels it will get along with.

I am reluctant to "extrapolate" loads from data presented for other calibers/other powders, and the WST powder is fairly new--there's not a lot of data out there for the fuel in handguns. The Winchester website lists it as usable in 45 ACP target loads, but that's not much to lean on. WW-231 does the same thing.

You may have a problem locating lab tested data for WST in the 32 Mag. The powder's newness in combination with the caliber's rather moribund status argues against a lot of research being done in that venue. A phone call or E-mail to Winchester might kick loose some info, and the bullet- or mold-maker might have some data. The rather outdated RCBS Cast Bullet Manual has a great deal of 32 Magnum data, and includes the now-obsolete Winchester 452-AA powder at 3.9 to 4.3 grains with the 98 grain SWC. I EMPHASIZE THAT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW 452-AA COMPARES WITH THE NEW WST POWDER--THIS IS INCLUDED ONLY FOR RESEARCH INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES. DO NOT use this information for the purpose of reloading cartridges!

So ends the attorney-proofing portion of our program. There may be someone here that has tried this out. If so, I'd be curious to know how it worked. I generally use WW-231 or Bullseye for light loads and the RCBS 98 SWC boolit, AA-7 for loads in the 900-1100 FPS range, and 2400 for 1100 FPS+ loads. For the jacketed bullets, AA-7 is THE powder in my experience.