PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkage

wvmanchu
04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I searched the forum for threads that concerned shrinking of cast boolits over long term storage, the results were to numerous to read more than a few. A good casting buddy says yes. I've seen no evidence to support this. What is the general consensus of the Casting community?

Finster101
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Wow, I thought it was a Seinfeld thread for a minute. Carry on!

cbrick
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
First you need to define "long term". Your life time?

It's possible that the percentages of the alloy could effect this, also heat treating but enough to really matter? I would think it's doubtful, I've used boolits cast 15+ years ago (is this long term?) and they were fine.

Similar questions have been asked here before but I think the time frame needed to do any serious measuring of a possible effect would eliminate most people from trying. It would me, I'm 64 and don't have enough time left in my casting career to finish such experiments.

Rick

DLCTEX
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
I've read here that they will grow for a while, but never that they shrink. In either case I would think the amount would be very small.

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
it shrinks when cooling in the mold, if it didn't we wouldn't be able to get the boolit out.

popper
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
If it did, cores would separate in jacketed.

41 mag fan
04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
First you need to define "long term". Your life time?

It's possible that the percentages of the alloy could effect this, also heat treating but enough to really matter? I would think it's doubtful, I've used boolits cast 15+ years ago (is this long term?) and they were fine.

Similar questions have been asked here before but I think the time frame needed to do any serious measuring of a possible effect would eliminate most people from trying. It would me, I'm 64 and don't have enough time left in my casting career to finish such experiments.

Rick

Rick,
FYI...64 is not that old!! You got 20 yrs on me, and at one time i thought 64 was old....not anymore!!