PDA

View Full Version : Had a tour of the Sturm Ruger pistol plant in Prescott, AZ

Hang Fire
04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Wife’s younger brother is the chief manufacturing engineer at the Sturm Ruger pistol plant in Prescott, AZ. He treated us to a tour of the plant, and I was most impressed.

He explained each step of the production process, the speed of the fully automated CNC tooling, which makes the pistol’s production possible, is amazing and something to behold. He led us through for just one pistol, whereas a completed gun is boxed for shipment every 30 seconds, and it was just one of the many different models made in the plant. All CF pistol barrel’s rifling is broach cut while fully submerged in an oil bath, and watching it was like zip, done. Watching round steel billets transformed into slides and barrels at such speed, was hard to follow.

They are months behind for filling outstanding orders, and have had to stop taking new orders for three months to fill existing orders. Every day over 40,000 rounds of ammunition is fired just for the proof testing of guns being shipped.

There are over 800 employees in the plant working two long shifts, and they are adding new space and machine tooling to increase production even further.

454PB
04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
As a stock holder and Ruger fan, this is great news.

jh45gun
04-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Sounds like they are getting it together because I have had some Rugers that if they test fired them they were not for accuracy! That said I know every factory can make some clunkers. In all fairness I have had good Rugers I should have never let go. It was the couple of bad ones that soured me on them. So that is the reason that when some one bad mouths other brands I can understand but most guns made today are decent. Those that bash other makes for rough internals I wonder if they are so critical of their favorites?

Vly
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Sounds like an interesting visit. I would love to take that tour. BIL getting you free samples??? :kidding:

KCSO
04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Given Ruger's past preformance in delivering products I remain sceptical. I have had a Ruger Scout Rifle on back order since May of 2012, a 1911 on B/O since June of 2012 and can not even get any MkIII standards. All this from Davidson'r supposedly the premier Ruger Distributor. I remember waiting 2 years to get P85's and over a year for Vaquero's when they came out. Ruger seems to want to make one or two of something for the gun magzines and then wait for 10,000 orders before they actually start production and the small dealers take the heat when we can't deliver.
Sorry but Ruger has left a bad taste in my mouth and it will be a long time going away.

BruceB
04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Regarding the remarks about the Scout Rifle, I was given my LEFT-HANDED Scout for Christmas of 2011. Every time I visit the Scheels store in Reno, I see at least several Scouts on their racks.... the last time, there were no less than SIX left-handed Scouts and several right-handers as well.

This store always has a good supply of virtually all Ruger models, and they seem to get the new products in a very timely manner.

KCSO
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Ah but Davidson's can't give me one at dealer cost for some reason. I'm sure if I called Ruger and said I needed a hundred of them I'd have some in the next big brown truck. Cabela's and Dunham's here have no problems either but Mom and Pop are SOL.

Hang Fire
04-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Sounds like your gripe should be with Davidson, not Ruger, perhaps for some reason Davidson has you way down on their totem pole.

warf73
04-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Given Ruger's past preformance in delivering products I remain sceptical. I have had a Ruger Scout Rifle on back order since May of 2012,.

Sorry to say but that hasn't anything to do with Ruger but with Davidson's there are over 20 of them for sale on GB right now.

Lefty SRH
04-23-2013, 05:17 AM
I bought a LH Scout rifle last april and still amazed and enjoy its accuracy. Time to look else where for the GSR, if you want one and your s has been on B/O for this amount of time you are wasting your time.

Bodydoc447
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
I just bought a gunsite off of Gunbroker three weeks ago. There were plenty to choose from. I had been on the waiting list for one at my local store for over a year. They order from Davidson's, too. Looking at the Davidson/Gallery of Guns website shows about everything Ruger to be out of stock or allocated. Which means even if Ruger is shipping like crazy, Davidson's isn't.
Doc

Hang Fire
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
I just bought a gunsite off of Gunbroker three weeks ago. There were plenty to choose from. I had been on the waiting list for one at my local store for over a year. They order from Davidson's, too. Looking at the Davidson/Gallery of Guns website shows about everything Ruger to be out of stock or allocated. Which means even if Ruger is shipping like crazy, Davidson's isn't.
Doc

LOL, maybe Davidson is selling their Rugers on GB and other auction sites, maximum profit dont't cha know.