PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question

Jpprescott
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Gentlemen,

I went into my reloading room today, and noticed that I left the powder dispenser on my Lee turret press about half full of Universal last time I did any reloading. It has been in the powder dispenser for about 3 mos. (last time I reloaded).
Since it wasn't stored in the can should I get rid of it and refill before I reload anything else?
Sorry if its a stupid question...

J.Prescott

Buzz64
04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Unless you have dripping humidity in your reloading room it will be fine. Load up and shoot.

Jpprescott
04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks Buzz64

Sensai
04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
I think Buzz64 is right. I've never considered "dripping humidity" as a rule, but as long as you don't have extreme temperature swings and "condensing" (is that the same thing ? :-? ) humidity the powder should be OK for a reasonable amount of time. The main reason that I don't leave powder in the measure between sessions is my poor memory. It will also stain the purty clear plastic! :shock:

SciFiJim
04-23-2013, 12:45 AM
To insure that you don't get a larger than normal load in the beginning of the reloading session due to possible settling of the powder, give the dispenser a shake or stir and then dump the first several loads back into the hopper.

Mk42gunner
04-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Having read several horror stories about powder left in measures, (maybe the same story recycled a whole lot), I would dump the powder and check to make sure there wasn't any kind of chemical reaction with the plastic in the measure.

If the measure looks good, then I would put the powder back in a load a few test rounds.

Robert

Lonegun1894
04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I use a piece of masking tape on my dispenser with a note identifying the powder to make sure I don't forget and accidentally load the wrong cartidge with the wrong powder and cause an accident. The tape comes off easily so I can always remove it and replace it with a different piece of tape anytime I switch powders.