PDA

View Full Version : Books to get, help?

cooterdog
04-22-2013, 12:38 PM
So I bit the bullet and bought a Shiloh Sharps 45-70. Now I plan on using Black Powder in it. I have lots of muzzle loader knowledge, I own a very early addition Hatfield. What I need to know, are there any good books on reloading black powder cartridge? I have a bunch of Paul A Matthews on order, but there must be others worth mentioning and getting.

Don McDowell
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
To be quite honest and straightforward, there really are no books that are needed.
To load the 45-70 with blackpowder all one needs to do is dump 70 grs of 2f into a Remington case primed with your favored brand of large rifle primer. Compress the powder to let a 480-500 gr bullet sized to .458 lubed with any decent bp lube,sit on top of a .030 fiber wad seat to the driving band, no more crimp than is necessary than to remove the flare in the case mouth.
All in all done..

cooterdog
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
To be quite honest and straightforward, there really are no books that are needed.
To load the 45-70 with blackpowder all one needs to do is dump 70 grs of 2f into a Remington case primed with your favored brand of large rifle primer. Compress the powder to let a 480-500 gr bullet sized to .458 lubed with any decent bp lube,sit on top of a .030 fiber wad seat to the driving band, no more crimp than is necessary than to remove the flare in the case mouth.
All in all done..

I do agree Don,
But should I want to shoot other weights like 405 or use light loads with filler and stuff. I would like more insight. Books help sometimes.

country gent
04-22-2013, 01:00 PM
SPG has a manual by Mike Venturo and Steve Garb that gives data and instructions. Randolph Wrights Loading and shooting Paper Patched bullets is good gives you hows and also why. Paul Matthews has several Books out. Mike Venturo has several also. Ask questions here also, Alot of good information to be had for the asking.

cooterdog
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
SPG has a manual by Mike Venturo and Steve Garb that gives data and instructions. Randolph Wrights Loading and shooting Paper Patched bullets is good gives you hows and also why. Paul Matthews has several Books out. Mike Venturo has several also. Ask questions here also, Alot of good information to be had for the asking.

Thanks Country Gent
I ordered the "SPG has a manual by Mike Venturo and Steve Garb". I have almost all of Paul Matthews. Every google search brings me to cast boolits one way or another.

Gunlaker
04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Do a search for Introduction to Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Loading". There is a nice document you'll find that will get you started.

Chris.

kokomokid
04-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I think Don gave you good advise although I would say 500-530 gr bullet, this is a sharps. The black powder cartridge silhouette handbook by Croft Barker is a good book although I strongly disagree with his front sight inserts. LB

Lead pot
04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
People make these blk powder cartridge rifle loads to complicated. Take that money you plan on spending on books and put it in powder and see what works best. Every one can tell you what works but it really comes down to what will work in your rifle.
The load Don suggested is a good starting load and from there you van add or subtract a grain to tweak it up.

Don McDowell
04-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I do agree Don,
But should I want to shoot other weights like 405 or use light loads with filler and stuff. I would like more insight. Books help sometimes.
Then you don't compress the powder quite as much and seat your 405 gr bullet. Grab a clue from history,,, they called it the 45-70 for a reason....

Gunlaker
04-22-2013, 07:57 PM
The one thing you will learn from the books is that conceptually, loading black powder is very simple.

What the books won't show is how to manage the rifle to make it shoot up to it's potential, or how to get the most accuracy from your loads :-). That stuff comes from lots of practice, and getting the occasional bit of good advice from the experienced guys here, and on the Shiloh site.

Chris.