PDA

View Full Version : Went to the range yesterday

shdwlkr
09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I went with the intentions of sighting in my scope on my 36 caliber well the scope has hex screws and wouldn't you know I forgot the tools.
so I just shot it the way it was and found out it will shoot that litlle 65 grain ball 200 yards and that was with 30 grains of 3F powder. With my messed up scope I off by about 2 inches but what great fun.
Now if I can just find a source for wonder rods so I can get a replacement one for my 32 caliber then I can go shoot it.

Underclocked
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Something like this? (http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/select_item.asp?item=18980)

Rattus58
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
The AllSeeingOne.... still travels from site to site... like a bee in a field of flowers... *grin* amazing... :):drinks:

shdwlkr
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Underclocked
thanks as that is one of the ones I am looking for the other is the replacement one that is 24 1/2 inches long I think. Will have to get intouch with those folks as I think that is where I got my first one.

fiberoptik
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Might have to grab me onea them meself. My .32's Xtra is plastic?? flaps in the wind, major pain trying to set a ball withit.

shdwlkr
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I also have a .32 caliber but have to wait until I can get a new ram rod before I can shoot it.
If my memory is working I think my little 32 liked 20-30 grains of powder best with round balls and with maxi-balls I think it was around 40 grains but not sure will have to wait until I get the ram rod and find out again.
I shot my 36 with 40 grains first then backed down to 30 and then backed down to 20's and it still shot great. Will have to really go and spend a day at the range and see just what is the best charge and leave it there. I put a scope on it because my eyesight isn't as good as it was 40+ years ago but the little 32 will never see a scope as I only use it for 25-75 yards and I can still see good that far.
My .36 caliber sure surprised me when I fired at the 100 yard target and with a screwup scope was only a little bit off. Then I fired at the two hundred yard target and almost hit that one.
I also shoot a black powder shotgun and pistols and other rifles. I like to shoot my black powder arms when I need to slow down and enjoy life. It takes me a few minutes to load any of them and that is fine with me as when I go shooting them it isn't speed that is on my mind.
A friend of mine got his 54 ready for elk season and just makes me wish I was going but not this year as to much going on at home.
Can't figure out why they are called short range firearms?? I don't think 200 yards as being short range but today I guess most feel if it won't shoot 500 dead center then it is just crap.
I have never taken a shot beyond 250 yards when hunting but in the military we used to shoot 600+ meters all the time and that was more or less just a safety thing.
Most of if not all my rifles will shoot out to 250 yards and that is far enough for me and my pistols I have been know to shoot at 350 yards targets for the fun of it and sometimes I actually hit the target but in real life they are limited to 50-100 yards or less.
One thing I have found is that I now live at 7000 feet and things don't act the same as they did when I was at only 1500 feet. I will have to learn things all over again and I will have to pull a lot of my loaded bullets as the charge at this elevation is just to hot.
As to a .40 caliber I wonder just how much better it is then a .36 caliber or .38 caliber??
I started shooting when I was 12 the legal age in the state I grew up in to start hunting and that was almost 50 years ago so this kid has learned a little and has a lot more to learn.
For me I will be staying with the ones I have as I don't need anymore firearms right now but the kids may change dad's mind on that one as I have an eleven year old boy and a 16 month old son and a 6 month old girl that just might want to shoot and dad doesn't loan his to anyone until I am finished using them then I will have to figure out who gets what. Makes it much easier if I give them the firearms they want now so when I am gone they can't fight over anything because dad's have all been spoken for along with what dad buys for them while they are in the house. I also have a son-in-law that likes firearms and is a county LEO who doesn't have funds to buy many firearms so he will get alot of mine because he is so good to the wife's daughter and kids.

swoter
09-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a traditions crockett in 32 and bought a brass rod for it, works well, and adds a little weight to the front. If I remember right, it came from Track of the Wolf.

testhop
09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I went with the intentions of sighting in my scope on my 36 caliber well the scope has hex screws and wouldn't you know I forgot the tools.
so I just shot it the way it was and found out it will shoot that litlle 65 grain ball 200 yards and that was with 30 grains of 3F powder. With my messed up scope I off by about 2 inches but what great fun.
Now if I can just find a source for wonder rods so I can get a replacement one for my 32 caliber then I can go shoot it.

OK I WILL PUT MY 2 CENTS IN FOR RAMRODS TRY DIXIEGUN WORKSIN MY 2000
CATALOG ON PADGE 273 THAY HAVE SUPERRODS ONE IS 32 CAL IT MAY BE TOO LONG BUT YOU CAN CUT IT DOWNTHERE PHONE #800-238-6785
ALSO MY FAVIORTE IS CAINS OUTDOOR INC PHONE #800-445-1776
IF THAY DONT HAVE WHAT YOU WANT THEY PROBBLY MAKE IT OR ODER IT

TOM (TESTHOP):castmine: :coffee:

shdwlkr
09-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Testhop
I did call cains outdoor Inc and they made me two one for the rifle and one as a range rod. Now to get some time to shoot.
The price they charged was great also.