PDA

View Full Version : Question About An M24/47

FallRun
09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Just received an M24/47 from classic Arms. Rifle is in Really Nice Shape! My question is about the stock. Just behind the pistol grip on the stock, there is a wooden plug that goes all the way through to the other side. It has been sanded down and stained to match the stock (I guess at the armory?) I called Ben at classic to get some in-sight and he said that about 90% of M24/47s have that plug but he has no idea why. I would like to know what use to be there and perhaps put it back. Does anyone have any info. on this?

KCSO
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
probably a removed sling swivel. If it were the center of the butt that would be where the bolt stripping hole would be.

FallRun
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't think that's it. It already has 2 sling swivels on it. Besides it's a big dowel it measures 5/8 of an inch. But then again.... who knows, you could be right

Bladeswell
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi,
Your 24/47 is a re-arsenaled cavalry modle. The plug is where the saddle ring used to be. I wouldnt say that 80% of 24/47s have them, but maybe half do. Mine did not, but my son-in-law's did. Hope this was helpful, happy shooting.

Bladeswell

Bob S
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
It is unlikely that the rifle started out as a cavalry carbine. The majority of 24/47's were created from at least 3 separate models of short rifles ... the Serbian Model 24, and the FN Model 24 or Model 30 export rifles. All of these were "intermediate length" actions. The 24/52 started out as one of the many "standard length" action short rifles left in Yugoslavia at the end of WW II.

As-built, the Serbian Model 24 short rifle had a set of sling swivels ion the bottom, and a set on the side. See Balls "Military Mausers of the World", 1996 edition, page 210 for text description and photo that shows the retaining nut for the lower side swivel. When these were converted to 24/47 configuration, that lower sling swivel on the side was removed, and the hole was drilled out and plugged (on the left hand side of the buttstock, the "hole" was actually square). A new or modified lower band was installed that had the sling swivel only on the bottom. Why? I have one that still had the side swivel set-up ... and the lower side swivel is right in the wrong place, where the recoil is going to give you a chipped tooth, or at least a fat lip. Needless to say, I have removed it from that rifle.

The 24/47's that started out as FN's and retained their original stocks will not have the plugged holes, as they did not have the side swivels.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

P.S. The Serbian Model 24 Carbine did not have a saddle ring or sling swivels on the side: the sling was bottom mounted, and the bolt handle had a very unique and distintive curve. See Ball, P 211 for pix.

Bladeswell
09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi again,
Thanks for the correction. I dont remember where I read that bit about 24/47s and saddle rings, but apparently they were in error. Thanks again. always like to have my facts straight. :)
Bladeswell

KCSO
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Bob S has it agan, as I looked and the one I had had what looked like a sling swivel rather than a saddle ring.