PDA

View Full Version : Who'd have cats?

JeffinNZ
04-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Trying to do the club newsletter is hard when a 8lb fluffy lump is lying your typing hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/IMG_20130422_200718_zpsfde6b909.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Other%20stuff/IMG_20130422_200718_zpsfde6b909.jpg.html)

I think Frodo is settling in OK.

LtFrankDrebbin
04-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Yep we gotta problem like that here. One four footed-fat-furry-feline that unfortunatly thinks she owns this house!

But yah would'nt swap em for quids [smilie=s:

cat223
04-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Yep! Now multiply that by five and you're at my house. I can't complain. They are good little friends.

garym1a2
04-22-2013, 06:45 AM
I got two if anyone needs another!

cbrick
04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Probably not a good idea, the dog has enough chew toys.

Rick

Down South
04-22-2013, 07:22 AM
I stay at an RV Park here in Houston. We are over run with feral cats. I've started trapping them in a live trap and giving them to a buddy who releases them at his barn out in the country. If someone wants a Kat, PM me. I'll hook you up. I like kats myself as long as they are kept up.
Every once in a while, I catch one that appears to be half way friendly. One of the last ones I captured was an old tom. He was mean as a snake. His ears were all chewed up and he had scars over the top of his head.

Doc Highwall
04-22-2013, 07:49 AM
What is a typing hand, do I need one and where can I get it?

I know all about the cats at my house I have three and Queen Jasmine is looking to change her title to Dictator Jasmine with the way she demands attention. She is next to me now and Precious is laying at my feet on here back with her large belly showing.

bob208
04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
we have nine in the house. feeding 5 more out side. we thought we were up on getting them fixed. but then some one droped off a pregnet one she had her kittens we have not found them yet.

thats the problem with a small farm. every one drops their unwanted cats.

oldred
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Yep! Now multiply that by five and you're at my house. I can't complain. They are good little friends.

Five? I have sixteen!

No I am not related to the crazy cat lady I live on a farm here in Tn and most of these were abandoned on an old logging road not far from here. They have all been "fixed" so they do not multiply and all get basic shots and flea/worm medicine, they have room to romp and not at all are they problem and in fact the only time it's obvious how many we have is at feeding time. Most are just mixed breed but we have 4 Himalayans, a Siamese and an Abyssinian, the Abby and a white flame point Himalayan are indoor cats. I was never much of a cat person until we got our first one for our daughter and it snowballed from there, it was a learning experience more than anything else and we quickly learned the darn things have a way of taking over! We did not set out to accumulate so many and have managed to find homes for some of them but some are older and/or not so attractive so no one wants them, I guess it all boils down to the question of how does a person say no to a hungry abandoned kitten?

Our latest addition is a VERY lovable longhair Calico that some IDIOT abandoned out in the boonies near our farm, she has a broken leg that had long since healed but left her crippled and unable to use it, she obviously could not hunt and was little more than skin and bones when she made her way up the hill to our place. It was all I could do to hold back tears when I first saw her condition after she came hopping into our yard on three legs when she heard us calling our cats to feed. I was not sure she would survive at first, her health had deteriorated badly and her eyes wet and matted which can be a sign of serious disease but it apparently was only due to her undernourished condition. Her eyes are now dry and bright and she eats like a little pig! She has gained a lot of weight and the vet says the leg should not be causing any pain, she gets around just fine on three legs and has taken up residence on our enclosed porch where she will be safe and she happily greets anyone who comes to the door where she DEMANDS attention!

It may be a bad thing to say but I hope that idiot who dumped her breaks their own leg and if I knew who it was I would be tempted to help such an accident occur!

missionary5155
04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Good morning
Here in Peru several cities have Festivals of the Cat. Starting on Friday through Sunday cat cooked in numerous forms is served. Biggest I have heard of is in northern Peru. About 50,000 people attend. It may have all started as a means to "eliminate" ferul cats. But it seems to keep the local population in check.
The village I go to on Tuesdays they eat whatever dies. Cat is OK. Dog far better. Burro and mule are real treats.
Mike in Peru

shaggist
04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Dogs think they are human--cats think they are God!

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I have 3, I love them all, just keep an eye on them when sorting brass or priming cases, I recently bumped my elbow while putting primers in my auto-prime, all 100 primers hit the tile floor and immediately the cats descended to play a game of primer hockey, I chased them off and spent the next half-hour on my hands and knees with tweezers picking up primers, but I found them all.

oldred
04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Well there is the pretty much proven fact that the ancient Egyptians treated their cats as gods and it's also quite obvious that cats have not forgotten that!

bruce drake
04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Excellent Jeff!

One of the first pets added to the retirement house this summer will be a rescue cat as well. As much as I love our Lab and tolerate the wife's ****zhu, I actually prefer cats.

Bruce

Swamp Man
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't care for cats but my pitbulls and chows love them.

Glock Junkie
04-22-2013, 12:55 PM

LMAO! The only cat allowed to live around my Pit is his best friend , my wife's cat lol !

oldred
04-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Somebody git a rope!! :evil:

Ajax
04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
my boxer pitbull mix loves our 2 cats, They all sleep together at the foot of the bed.

Abdy

garym1a2
04-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Cool Video of Cat and Pit bull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKsXVctYy40

376Steyr
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Trey45
04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't think I could have another cat. The last one I had spoiled me for any other cats, he set the bar pretty high.

km101
04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I have a 20 year old Maine Coon (mostly) who will be 21 in May. He has been around so long that he runs the place! If he decides that he wants to sit in your lap, he will follow you around meowing until you sit down for him. In his prime he weighted just over 22 lbs and was quite noticeable when he jumped into your lap. He loves children and when our grandkids are here he cant wait until nap time so he can cuddle up next to them. He is the king of the house.

oldred
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Main Coons are one of the most loving and good natured cats a person can own (or work for as the case may be!) and usually very smart also, big and lovable. We had a Ragdoll that went 26 lbs but unfortunately we lost him to Feline Leukemia even after having him vaccinated, the pre-vaccination test for that dreaded disease was negative but the vet said he had probably had it from birth anyway.

Duckiller
04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Only 8 lbs Jeff. We have two altered male that each go about 20 lbs. Last Thursday a rat made the mistake of trying to hide from train construction by coming in our house. Managed to hide for a while until the boys got his scent. Two 20 lb cats and a quick 35 lb dog, part terrier, are not something a rat wants to deal with. House keeper found it badly mangled friday morning. Big Cats Kill!

JeffinNZ
04-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Neither Frodo or Sam are full grown. They are between 1 and 2 years old. Been with us a week now. Griffin, the late, great, Griffin, was a good 16lb at his prime but his prime was a bit too 'cuddly' for his height.

Driver man
04-23-2013, 02:30 AM
My ginger has started to bring his catch home. The house is surrounded with small furry carcases neatly laid out for inspection, thats not so bad but he manages to climb through open windows with some of them and leave them where they can be found the next morning. Last creature of note gave a visitor a start when he thought he saw an enormous rat dart behind a bookcase, well it wasnt a rat but i admit with some trepidation ,i moved the bookcase to expose a timid rabbit cowering in the corner, it appeared to be uninjured and at my friends instigation released the rabbit into the forest bordering my place, my friend left and next day the carcase of the rabbit was laid out for inspection next to a headless rat. At other times he hangs about demanding attention food and stroking.
I really like this cat.

Multigunner
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Main Coons are one of the most loving and good natured cats a person can own (or work for as the case may be!) and usually very smart also, big and lovable. We had a Ragdoll that went 26 lbs but unfortunately we lost him to Feline Leukemia even after having him vaccinated, the pre-vaccination test for that dreaded disease was negative but the vet said he had probably had it from birth anyway.
My most recent kitty may be part Maine Coon. At six months she was as big as the rather large adult cats here, and now a few months later is a good deal larger and heavier. She still has a year or more to grow.
Very luxurious long gray fur, a fine looking cat, but a bit scrappy.
I ended up with her after the great grand niece who found her found she was alergic to cats and gave it to her teenage aunts (my grand nieces). The little devil clawed everyone up there so they asked if I'd take her. At the time she was about the size of a canary. Little did I know she'd start growing like a weed.

My Mau is around ten years old now, and has been shrinking in some manner for the last year or two but still feels as heavy as lead and is very strong. I've read these cats can live twenty five years. A cat we had many years ago was part mau and it lived to be over 24 yrs old.
This Mau is a male but his male parts never developed. Apparently that not uncommon for the Mau and some other Asian and Middle Eastern cats that descend from the Reed Cat or African Wildcat.
He also insists on wiggling his way into my arms while I'm at the PC or watching TV.
I have to lock him out when cleaning my rifles because he is jealous of the attention they get. He once kicked an SMLE off the middle of the bed onto the carpet.

Mumblypeg
04-23-2013, 03:43 AM
I have a tabby tom that was neutered early on. He is the best cat I have ever had. He's independent, comes and goes in and out of the house when he wants, doesn't bother you, does all his stuff outside, is the dog's best friend and gives just the right amount attention. Yep, he's my buddy. And he's not a whiner ...

oldred
04-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Our Ragdoll was only 4 years old when we lost him and a great loss it was. He was huge, and I mean huge! He not only weighed 26 pounds but he had very long silky fur that made him appear even bigger, deep blue eyes and chocolate point Siamese pattern coloring but the most unique thing about him was his lack of fear of anything. I don't mean fearless as in tough guy fearless I mean don't have a lick of sense kind of fearless! This trait in Ragdolls is thought by most people to be a myth but it is a fact for quite a few of them, gunfire that would send the other cats scurrying off in fear for their lives would do little more than annoy him, I have seen my wife shove him out of the way with the vacuum cleaner and he would not even look up! One day we were mowing the lawn and had taken a break, when we came back out Merlin had taken a nap on the bagger attached to the push mower so I told my wife "this will get his attention". I yanked the starter cord with the throttle wide open and all he did was look at me with those ears laid back as if to say "shut that noisy thing off stupid", we loved that cat dearly.

contender1
04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I fall into the cat lover group myself. We own 5 here,,, and all are fully indoor, well cared for & fixed etc. To cat haters,,, you have never taken the time to understand nor love a cat. Kinda like an anti-gunner who never takes the time to try shooting in a properly educated way.
Don't get me wrong,, I love dogs too. Our pets are what helps make a house a home.
Two of my cats are sleeping in baskets on part of my desk system as I type.
Great companions.

Jim
04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I've posted this photo before, but I thought it appropriate for this thread.

Mr. Bill, a rescued Maine Coon, is really a cool cat. He hangs out in the gun room with me and is always interested in what I'm doing at the bench. If I come home with a new firearm, he wants to check it out. When I receive packages, he hops up on the bench while I'm cutting a box open to see what's in it.

I had the door to my display cabinet open one day and he hopped right up in there.

jmort
04-23-2013, 10:38 AM
When we move in here there were two feral cats. They continued to live outside for over a year and then we "adopted" them. The are real good mousers and real sweet. Never had any cats before. More of a dog person, but will probably always have a cat or two from now on.

Dale in Louisiana
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Seven here. Two rescues. Two from ex-wife. Two from some people who were moving to a non-pet apartment (I think the guy didn't like cats and that was his excuse) and one that showed up and figured inside my house was a better deal that wandering around outside looking for handouts.

It's like having my own little version of the Wild Kingdom.

It wouldn't be fair (or easy) for a dog when I have to leave on overnight (and longer) jaunts for work, but I put out food and water and start out with a couple of clean litterboxes and they're good until I get back, and they have to figure out how to look aloof while trying to catch on the petting and scratching they missed while I was gone.

dale in Louisiana
(one step away from being 'that crazy guy with all those cats')

Poygan
04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys, I'm feeling more normal now. My wife and I had dogs in the early years - at one point three, a golden, a yellow lab and a golden/black lab mix. About nine years ago, we had a brown tabby living under a porch. Fed him for several months and decided to bring him inside when fall approached. We still had one yellow lab left and were concerned that they wouldn't get along. Wrong - cat loved the dog from the start. Dog was tolerant but not really enthused. Thus begins the slippery slope.
Second cat was a girl rescued by my daughter outside her apartment in February. She already had two cats and couldn't handle another. Cranky but also loving.
Third cat we adopted from a store that had cats from a local humane society where I volunteered. Loved to play and got along with all cats. A gentle soul.
Fourth cat came from a mom we had been feeding outside from January until April. Finally decided cat could be a girl and could be pregnant. Trapped her with the help of a friend. ten days later she had a litter of five. My bride decided we had to have one of the kittens. He was tiny and black and so cute... now he is over 13 pounds and starts to purr when you talk to him (or at feeding time which is one of his favorite times).
Cat number five was rescued by our friend outside of her work. He was 4.5 pounds, maybe 4-7 months old, starving, had parasites, and also toxoplasmosis. He also had seizures. He is now cured and is a very happy (and second heaviest) cat now. A good example of a free cat that was quite expensive.
What I've learned is this: cats aren't dogs and behave quite differently. But, if you adopt a GOOD cat, you have a great pet!
I also volunteer at a local no-kill shelter several mornings every week. Normally 30 cats in the building. In 4.5 years they have adopted out over 1600 cats, some dogs and an occasional bunny. May I suggest its a good project if you have the time and inclination to love cats (retired also helps).

shdwlkr
04-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Well I have had a cat with me since I was 3 weeks old, yep my folks decided that I needed a pet and so they got a cat for a 3 week old he was small like me and we got along great. He let mom know when I needed changed, fed and held. He was with me until I was 16.
I have had so many cat over the years, last year I had to put down a cat that had been with me for 20 years, miss he so.
I have currently two cats and a small dog they are get along.
I had a cat in the military also best pal you ask for, if something out of normal was going on that darn cat would purr in my ear until I woke up. Not like a dog that has to tell the whole world something is wrong. Sure messed up a lot of folks plans of ruining my day, really made my day way to many times. Don't remember what happened to that cat though.
I find cats interesting and for the matter my dog who has learned to copy some of the traits of the cats so she gets her fair share of attention and also keeping track of things.

oldred
04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I've posted this photo before, but I thought it appropriate for this thread

Mr Bill is a classy cat and his picture is always a welcome sight!

one step away from being 'that crazy guy with all those cats

I'm way past that point!

jlchucker
04-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Main Coons are one of the most loving and good natured cats a person can own (or work for as the case may be!) and usually very smart also, big and lovable. We had a Ragdoll that went 26 lbs but unfortunately we lost him to Feline Leukemia even after having him vaccinated, the pre-vaccination test for that dreaded disease was negative but the vet said he had probably had it from birth anyway. Ragdoll cats are bred-in gentle. A friend of mine got one, half-grown, from her relative. Later, she got a really hyper Golden Retreiver puppy that loves to play rought with this gentle cat, who will play but not fight. She brought her pup to my house, where the pup seemed to enjoy chasing my little black female cat. Little Gwenny moves like greased lightning, and ran behind a couch--where the pup couldn't get behind her or to either side of her. When the dog stuck his nose in, he found out very quickly the difference between his ragdoll, and Gwenny, who's ancestry is "cat-us Barn-us". Needless to say, the dog ran away to momma with an unexpected bloody nose. Tiny, sweet little Gwenny is quick, smart, and will use some sharp claws if she needs to.

cbrick
04-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Meet Mr Hyper Kat.

FISH4BUGS
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
We have five....my office is in the house, and the cats LOVE to come visit, and lay on the desk, the keyboard, my lap, and generally everywhere they should not be.
I go to YouTube and search on cat fights. Bring up a great loud one, turn up the volume and play it. It clears them out pretty quick.

oldred
04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
We have an Abyssinian female that lives indoors (I highly recommend that breed for an indoor pet!) who had two litters before we had her "fixed" but her reaction was the opposite to videos, she gets excited at youtube kitten videos. We first noticed when she sprang up and started searching when she heard some kittens making a crying sound on the video, she wouuld paw at the screen and even ran behind it to see if they were there. After a couple of times doing this we stopped because she was getting upset at not being able to find those kittens and it wasn't so funny after we realized that. When she sleeps sometimes it's quite clear by her reflex actions that she is dreaming of kittens because she is obviously nursing them in her dreams, she has a very contented look on her face when she does this. This cat was not surprisingly a very good mother and watching her care for her litter was heartwarming so I am kind of regretful of ending her kitten bearing as soon as we did, especially since her kittens were so easy to adopt out.

TXGunNut
04-27-2013, 12:59 PM
I was adopted by a cat several months ago. Very affectionate and good company, kept her on as a pest control contractor. She had kittens Thursday, haven't seen them yet but hope at least one survives, will keep it for a companion and will then neuter both. Miss Kitty is one tough cookie, I got home a very short time after the kittens were born and she got done she leapt up to the porch rail to be fed, just like any other time.

opos
04-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I was "instructed" to post these pictures by "His Nibs"...and I never say no to this one and you better not either....Pit bull..Ha!! Chows..Double Ha!!

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I have 3, I love them all, just keep an eye on them when sorting brass or priming cases, I recently bumped my elbow while putting primers in my auto-prime, all 100 primers hit the tile floor and immediately the cats descended to play a game of primer hockey, I chased them off and spent the next half-hour on my hands and knees with tweezers picking up primers, but I found them all.

Primer Hockey!

LMAO! I got an immediate picture. Now that is funny!

sav300
04-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Man,that's one pissed off cat! love the ugg boots and lion tail.
Cats are great,have my fourth cat here now.Three month old female tort.

Down South
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I was "instructed" to post these pictures by "His Nibs"...and I never say no to this one and you better not either....Pit bull..Ha!! Chows..Double Ha!!

What did you use to knock it out with? You either drugged it well or you are wearing a box of Band-Aids.

geargnasher
04-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Four kitties here. I picked the first one years ago when I was a bachelor and the next three picked my wife and me after we got married. I also have had to learn how to type with one hand, or with 10-20lbs across both arms.

Gear

opos
04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
What did you use to knock it out with? You either drugged it well or you are wearing a box of Band-Aids.

Just lathered him up and gave the Doberman the clippers and that was the result.

midnight
04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
I have one black cat named Bucky (short for Buckwheat). I'm too lazy to have a dog. He and I get along well and he even lets me live in his house.

Bob

greenmntranger
04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Got 3 cats and 2 dogs. the cats keep small vermin away and the dogd keep the bigger vermin away...job well done all around

drinks
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I support the mexican position, cats make good tamales!
I consider cats an alien, destructive invasive species, even worse than english sparrows, starlings, walking catfish and pythons.
And tied with wharf rats in damages.

altheating
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Only in Chinese food.

Beau Cassidy
04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
I am up to 7 after my latest acquisition on New Years Eve. That particular cat now named Daisy has at least doubled her weight. She is slowly learning she is safe and has a never ending full food bowl. One of my other recent ones- a fluffy black polydactile boy we named Scooby- is a heck of a hunter.

oldred
05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
I am up to 7 after my latest acquisition on New Years Eve. That particular cat now named Daisy has at least doubled her weight. She is slowly learning she is safe and has a never ending full food bowl. One of my other recent ones- a fluffy black polydactile boy we named Scooby- is a heck of a hunter.

When this thread started I remembered Eve (Daisy) and wondered what had become of her, sounds like she is doing well and getting fat! Good on ya man, people like you deserve good things in life!

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
How do you get yur cats to catch vermin ?
I think my two, Skunky and Windy, are vegans ?

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_2245reduced.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_2245reduced.jpg.html)

Kull
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I have two dogs. My wife has two cats. It's a tense environment.

opos
05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
How do you get yur cats to catch vermin ?

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_2245reduced.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_2245reduced.jpg.html)

Give them the "lion look" as in my prior post...with that they will kill anything the moves near them.

JeffinNZ
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=JonB_in_Glencoe;2196574]How do you get yur cats to catch vermin ?

Fordo and Sam appear to be Omnivores! They eat everything. I made a batch of bran muffins the other evening. A dozen to be exact. SWMBO ate one but in the morning there were only 10. Now when I went to school 12 minus 1 was 11. The only major variable was of the feline variety.

Shooter
05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=JonB_in_Glencoe;2196574]How do you get yur cats to catch vermin ?

Fordo and Sam appear to be Omnivores! They eat everything. I made a batch of bran muffins the other evening. A dozen to be exact. SWMBO ate one but in the morning there were only 10. Now when I went to school 12 minus 1 was 11. The only major variable was of the feline variety.

This reminds me of the old southern joke;
One hill man asks the other; "what do you feed your dogs?"
The other replies; "Turnip greens."
"My dogs won't eat turnip greens."
"Mine wouldn't either, the first month".
And so it goes.