PDA

View Full Version : Bore butter in cartridges?

jonk
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I recently tried Bore Butter in my Minie-shooting .58 muzzleloader for the first time and was quite impressed compared to other lubes I've used. So, the thought occured, how about putting this in BP cartridges? Specifically, if you isolate the powder column with a wad so as to prevent contamination- which I'm not sure would happen to any significant amount anyhow- and fill the base of a HB bullet, well- would this work or not?

montana_charlie
09-04-2007, 11:56 AM
well- would this work or not?
Usually, the base of a HB bullet doesn't need to be filled with anything in a BPCR load, and the lube in the bullet grooves does the fouling management job...unless the barrel is exceptionally long.

So...
What 'work' do you want the Bore Butter to do?
CM

38-55
09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Jonk,
I've messed with 'filled hollow bases' and bore butter... It' works but I didn't see any need for it as it worked about the same as just having the lube grooves filled.
Bullet was a lee 405 and the cartridge was 45-70 and the gun was a looong rolling block. I just lube with spg now as it's a little thicker and goes through my 450 lubri-sizer better... I still use bore butter for the front stuffer's though. My .58 likes the hollow base filled. I just lube the bullet and wrap it in plastic wrap and tie the base with thread. I then just shove the whole thing down the barrel and the plastic burns away and none of the powder get's contaminated.. YMMV
Calvin
PS I've used bore butter with the lyman postell bullet too and it works well...

Arnie
09-06-2007, 12:30 AM
I think the guys that make the bore butter do make a lube for grease groove cartridge bullets .Arnie

SharpsShooter
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Usually, the base of a HB bullet doesn't need to be filled with anything in a BPCR load, and the lube in the bullet grooves does the fouling management job...unless the barrel is exceptionally long.

So...
What 'work' do you want the Bore Butter to do?
CM

+1 for this answer. Lube in the hollow base is not needed.

SS

jonk
09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I just had it handy from lubing up some minies so thought I'd give it a whirl. It didn't lead so it DID do something, but accuracy was nothing to write home about.