PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Nylon 66

Jack Stanley
04-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I've seen them before on gun show tables but never had the chance to use one untill yesterday . Although the rifle seemed to run fine I couldn't believe it because of all the crud I could see near the chamber area .

It's not my rifle so I don't want to fix it untill it breaks but how does one do a good cleaning and lubrication on one of these ?

Jack

Mk42gunner
04-21-2013, 10:44 PM
According to the pdf manual from Remington, you take the cover off and pull the ejector out then scrape and wipe the crud off. Little to no oil is recommended.

I took the cover and extractor off of one years ago and decided that was as far as I wanted to go.

Robert

elginrunner
04-22-2013, 12:17 AM
When I was in training at a gunshop, someone brought a nylon 66 in the door in a shoe box. It took me three days with an exploded view to put that thing together. I still hate those things. I swear some engineer got drunk with his co-workers and said, " how many parts can we put in a rifle and still make it worK?? ".

All joking aside, clean with a can of compressed air, and for goodness sake, leave the cover on! (unless your ready for an adventure!!)

repawn
04-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Boresnake, q-tips and compressed air. Took my father-in-laws apart to clean recently. First time since he bought it used in 1966 (it's a 1st model year - 1959) I will never do that again - what a pain. The receiver cover does come off easily enough though.

nwellons
04-22-2013, 08:42 AM
On a similar note, I use the Patchworm kit on the bore and Hoppes #9 soaked .30 cal patches bunched up and held by tweezers to get the crud out of the receiver area.

http://patchworm.com/patchworm.html

KCSO
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
DO NOT do more than advised unless you want to spen a LOT of time and energy trying to put the gun back together. Take off the top cover after emoving the cocking handle and and loosen the barrel retainer. Pull the barrel out the front and remove the barrel retaining ring and slide and lok hw they fit together it ONE WAY. Now you can remove the bolt assembly. Carefully cup your and around the hammer and reciol springs and pull the trigger to release the spring assembly. Hose out the rest of the action with a spray cleaner and DO NOT try and take anything else out as it needs special tools and three hands to put it back. Don't forget to put the stamped ejector plate back in when you are done. If this isn't clear enought PM me and I will send you Woods instructions from his manual on disassembly.

Jack Stanley
04-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks fellas , I mentioned to the owner the fun a detail cleaning would entail and he didn't seem to want to go to far with it . The brown nylon is the cruddiest looking one and the black one looks like it's rarely been fired . I'd just like to see the balck nylon rifle get some attention just to preserve it . It's in very good condition and I'd just hate to see it looking like it's partner .

If he brings them out again , I'll try and get some more crud out with Q-tips , a bore-snake and some Hornady one-shot if that won't eat the nylon or anything like that .

Jack

superior
04-27-2013, 03:21 PM
You can watch one being disassembled and reassembled on YouTube.
After I watched it, I did the same and cleaned mine for the first time in 20 years.
I have an Apache 77. ( a clip fed version )

birch
05-12-2013, 01:20 AM
I have had a few over the years, and think they are one of the best all around .22 lr ever made. I can say without a doubt: Do not lubricate the firing control group. The nylon is meant to be a natural lubricant and it does the job well. If you ever get a little too much crud in the mech., spray it out with a air compressor and call it good. If you lubricate this gun, it will jam.

Dutchman
05-12-2013, 03:56 AM
When I was in Kansas a couple years ago visiting my brother he brought out his Nylon 66 that he bought new.. must've been 1963-64 or so. I know I shot this an awful lot. So he says, "how do you take this thing apart to clean...?".

This below is IT. I once took it apart further than this and WILL NEVER do that again.

http://images20.fotki.com/v386/photos/4/28344/9895637/photo-vi.jpg

Dutch

Jack Stanley
05-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Dutch , that may be just what I was looking for . I can refer him to this picture and let him go from there . He is a jeweler by trade and I mention it should be easy for him to do , he quickly reminded me he was a jeweler NOT a watchmaker . I guess there is a difference huh?

Thanks , Jack

22lover
05-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I just did this a couple days ago to the extent shown in Dutchman's post. The youtube video was pretty easy to follow. I would not even attempt taking the trigger group apart!

Jack Stanley
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
The owner of the rifle is supposed to be coming over saturday for a little range time , perhaps I can let him read this thread .

Gee ................ it would be just to bad if he got hooked into cast bullets .

Jack

BAGTIC
05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I can not understand the problem. I bought my first 66 the year they were introduced. I have purchased two more since plus another two Brazilian clones made on the old recycled Remington tooling. I also have a 77. Love them. Utterly reliable and accurate. I think their original open sights were the best I have experienced on an inexpensive .22 LR. I wouldn't trade one 66 for two of the present Remington models.

Get a screwdriver, a fine wire bristle brush for loosening stuck on crud, and a spray can of carburetter cleaner. Have at it

454PB
05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I bought mine used at a gunshow many years ago. I found disassembly instructions in one of my gunbook collection. Using those directions, I took it apart and cleaned it up......and I don't recall it being all that difficult. I do recall that it had so much crud buildup, I'm amazed that it cycled. They are amazing little rifles.

fiberoptik
06-15-2013, 02:28 AM
I miss mine =8:^(

375RUGER
06-15-2013, 11:08 AM
here's a link
http://www.nylonrifles.com/NylonRifles/Documents.html

10 ga
06-16-2013, 09:41 PM
I bought a well used one in 1987 to use on the trapline. Mostly for in the boat. Yearly wash down with breakcleaner or carb/choke cleaner and blow out with compressed air. Still running and I can tell you it gets pretty funky when we're trapping from the boat. It looks pretty rough but is still spitting out the 40 grainers. Well worth the money.

10 ga

Jack Stanley
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
They do have pretty good sights on them , to bad my eyes are having a tough time using them properly .

Jack

repawn
06-17-2013, 10:19 AM
My wife just used a nylon 66 for an Appleseed this weekend - I cleaned it afterwords - second time cleaning it - much faster and easier than the first. I used a scoped bolt gun for the Appleseed - she out scored me on all qualifiers.

Changeling
06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I have owned 2, bought them when they first came out! In my opinion they functioned/recycled OK, however they were not what one would consider "accurate"!
The reciever mount for mounting a scope on was a complete joke and wouldn't hold it's settings through recoil or anything else because of flexing.

I don't mean to be harsh but this is the way they were ! Thats why they ended production on them.

I would rather have someone hollar at me than guys here buy them!!!