PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea

Canadian reloader
04-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Why can they not make .410 die set like RCBS does for 12 gauge cowboy loads? I am going to e mail RCBS and ask. Anyone elses have any ideas?
:popcorn:

jmorris
04-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Need more information. Dies for what would normally be a metallic reloading press or a shot gun press?

Quick answer is that almost anything can be made but business are profit driven or they don't exist for very long.

texassako
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
If it is for brass cases, CH4D makes them and probably in stock at Buffalo Arms since they carry a lot of their dies. I don't know what I would do without CH dies, probably be a lot poorer getting custom dies.

kenyerian
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I think that they would sell very well. Great Idea.

429421Cowboy
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I have had that thought as well, and i would buy a set just with the cost of .410 shells and the fact that i am loading them without a press at the moment. If RCBS can make them for 12 that has to have the bushing removed and they still sell, why not make a set of regular dies for those if us who enjoy shooting or hunting with our sub bores but don't use them for skeet?

Canadian reloader
05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I have had that thought as well, and i would buy a set just with the cost of .410 shells and the fact that i am loading them without a press at the moment. If RCBS can make them for 12 that has to have the bushing removed and they still sell, why not make a set of regular dies for those if us who enjoy shooting or hunting with our sub bores but don't use them for skeet? You know what I am thinking to load regular .410

429421Cowboy
05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Do tell?

HollowPoint
05-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't really know the answer to the OP's question but, could it be because the .410 isn't as high on the list of popular calibers?

It most likely has something to do with "Demand." Generally speaking, "They" won't produce a product unless "They" think "They" can turn a profit by mass producing it.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it creates niche-markets; and this is where the smaller businesses can really shine for those seeking items that the larger companies don't want to mess with.

HollowPoint

05-11-2013, 11:51 AM
With reduced component needs, the .410 makes sense today. Besides, I love hunting with the .410. I'd go for a conventional die set for the .410.

Harter66
05-11-2013, 01:26 PM
460 SW for a sizer , add a start crimp for the belling die and a finish crimp in the seater.

country gent
05-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Many years ago I made a 410 die set and shell holder for a buddies rochchucker press worked pretty good but was a long process. Sizer die was easy as you only have to size the base ring normally. Powder was dropped with an rcbs rotary measure. a wad seating die. we slightly flared the existing crimp slightly to aid wad insertion/ seating. shot was a diper operation. remove "flare rolling case between fingers and then thru a crimp die. I made a 7/8 14 die body and used a crimp form from a mec ( i believe) press.Made very useable 410 shells for his boys. The shell holder was unique in that it overhug the rams dia. You had to deprime seperaty with a hand tool ( they used a punch and ring) sice primers wont go thru the ram. Had to prime by hand also. Yet they loaded 1000s of 410s on that rock chucker. Every hunting season He would come in the shop and tell me dont bring lunch tomorow, then the next day I would have a rabbit or pheasant dinner delivered from his wife that the boys took hunting with those shells. [smilie=w: They actually wore out an extractor on the ones shotgun with these rounds. I made the replacement for that also.

W.R.Buchanan
05-17-2013, 12:08 AM
A Lee Loader in .410
Paco Kelly's .410 dies. www.pacotools.com
There are several others. check the casting for shotguns forum.

Randy

jmorris
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Search here for 410 loads using 444 marlin brass.