PDA

View Full Version : Truck WW vs Car WW

SpotHound
04-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Are truck WW likely to be the same alloy as car WW?

I got given 50 pounds of truck WW and not sure if I should keep em separate from the normal kind.

Probably gonna use them to make shot.

R.M.
04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I haven't found any difference, but I've only gotten 1 pail of truck weights.

HangFireW8
04-21-2013, 08:45 PM
I lucked into a bucket of old truck WW- hardest ingots and boolits ever. However it was so old the steel clips were rusting away.

SpotHound
04-22-2013, 04:11 AM
I got the weights turned out to be 50 Kilograms and all brand new, being removed from fire trucks that had new off road tyres fitted in the shop.

Some are raw lead and some are painted silver and look like zinc but cut like lead.

mold maker
04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
In times past, the larger truck weights seemed harder. I was told they had some copper in the alloy. I always kept them separate and used them for Mag pistol and rifle rounds.
Todays truck weights don't show being harder. I guess the high price of copper changed that. The only zinc truck weights I've found were marked zn.

pdawg_shooter
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
With truck weights you get way less clips per pound of alloy when you smelt. Much better when you are buying by the pound.

CountryBoy19
04-23-2013, 07:50 AM
With truck weights you get way less clips per pound of alloy when you smelt. Much better when you are buying by the pound.

My experience is that the clips are 3-4 times the weight as those are cars though. I think the percentage of clip weight to lead ingot weight is a bit higher on truck weights but the big benefit to me is that when hand-sorting it only takes a fraction of the time to sort the same weight of lead out. To offset the clip weight thing, I'm finding much fewer zinc weights in the truck weights though. So far I've acquired 3 buckets of truck weights. The largest weight I've seen was 14 oz. Nice to get almost a full pount of lead in a single weight.

Also from my experience, all zinc truck weights are marked Zn, zn, or with a z of some form. For example, there are a lot of truck weights that are marked "17" and the weight in oz/grams. I've found a few of the same style weight that were zinc. Those were marked "17Z". That seems to be a very popular marking method for truck weight. At least half the zinc weights I find look exactly like lead weights except the normal marking is followed up with a Z or Zn. I haven't found a single one that wasn't marked yet.

Jon
04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
The truck ones are heavier. Fewer clips to fish out.

Defcon-One
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
I see this question a lot!

Based on my experience, Truck weights are much bigger than car weights! Other than that, I believe that they are identical in composition to car weights. Larger stick-ons are near pure with a bit of Tin. Larger clip-ons are the same as car clip-ons.

I smelt them all together in two batches COWW and SOWW, car or truck is irrelevant!

Truck weights are much easier to sort and smelt since there is more lead and less clips and there are less (total numbers) to sort per 50 pound bucket.

Here's a couple of big ones!

SpotHound
04-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Gotta love the 340 gram ones ! I had about 20 of them :)

tuckerdog
04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
I get a bunch of truck ww from work. I work on semi's and sometimes drive local and get all the used wws when we balance tires. Most of what I get is stick on and they are close to pure. Watch your clipons some are not marked with a zn symbol but are bigger per ounce and hard. I mix 50-50 stickons and clipons for very accurate handgun loads at modest pressure, strait coww for stiffer loads