PDA

View Full Version : Prefered dies for 32 h&r mag?

downwind
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Have some once fired Starline brass

Have heard that this brass is on the thick side and people have had problems with RCBS dies because of it.

Has anyone here had that problem?

Have a used set of RCBS dies on the way and am hoping it won't be an issue.

Any experience good or bad?

THANKS
DOWNWIND[smilie=s:

Hickory
04-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I have the RCBS Cowboy dies, and have had no problems.

Guesser
04-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I have used RCBS steel sizing die, Lyman "M" die and Lee seater, worked fine. I eventually purchased a 3 die set of Lee carbide 32 Long dies and I use them for Long, Magnum and 327. Works really good.

chsparkman
04-21-2013, 09:19 PM
I have used RCBS carbide 3-die set for the past 15 years. I've seen no reason to change, but I have added a separate crimp die, both a Lee FCD and a Redding Profile (for cast).

Mk42gunner
04-21-2013, 10:24 PM
I have used a set of Lee dies to load both the .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum for the last several years. The only thing that I don't like is how the powder thru expander die has to be jerked off the case.

Last year I bought a set of Lyman carbide dies (mainly for the M-die), and like the set a lot better. The carbide sizing ring seems smoother, and takes less effort to size the cases.

If I would have started with either Lyman or RCBS, I never would have changed.

Robert

MTtimberline
04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
I also have RCBS Cowboy dies for .32 H&R and have had really good luck. They are very nice dies to work with and very satisfied with them. I was mainly after the .32 dies but got .45 LC and .32-20 also. I got the three sets together for $20.00 each even though I don't own guns for them all. You never know what you need later when a deal can be made in a group purchase. I couldn't see where any of them had any previous use.

44Vaquero
04-27-2013, 02:02 AM
I am currently using a set of Hornady dies mounted on a Tru-line jr and a Lee powder thru expanding die w/autodisk. Mixing and matching is ok! I prefer the Hornady TIN sizing and crimp dies and like the convenience of the powder thu-expanding die.

In response to the case jerking off the expander die issue, I polished the expander to remove the rough finish. It's a trial and error kind of thing, just enough to ease the case off the expander.

Mk42gunner
04-28-2013, 12:55 AM
I am currently using a set of Hornady dies mounted on a Tru-line jr and a Lee powder thru expanding die w/autodisk. Mixing and matching is ok! I prefer the Hornady TIN sizing and crimp dies and like the convenience of the powder thu-expanding die.

In response to the case jerking off the expander die issue, I polished the expander to remove the rough finish. It's a trial and error kind of thing, just enough to ease the case off the expander.

Truthfully, the .32 cal expander didn't stick nearly as much as the one I had for .45 Colt. That one I cured by finding a set of RCBS Carbide dies for $20.00 in Cabela's bargain cave one time. The .32 set I bought at an estate auction for $15.00, plus I can use the M-die for several other .30-.31 calibers I load for.

I am a firm believer in mixing and matching, even modifying, dies to get done what I want to accomplish. For but one example, I use dies meant for both the 6.5x55 and 7x57 to resize and load for an Arisaka in 6.5x.257 Roberts. A bit more trouble than ordering a set of non standard dies; but no more than I shoot the old gun, it is worth it to me.

Robert