PDA

View Full Version : New 45 Colt and a question

jonp
04-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I just got the newest member of my family home and I'm pretty tickled. 45 Colt Blackhawk (New Model) 7.5in barrel. This is my first 45 Colt so I was wondering if everyone had a good place to start with a boolit. I was thinking 250gr and work my way out from there. Any opinions? Ok, bad question. Any comments and suggestions? All kind of good loads on this site due to great reloaders here with a ton of experience with this caliber.

RobS
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
The RCBS 45-270-SAA is a good design that I used for a long while and with the right loads it was very accurate. I now prefer LFN style designs I've put together through custom mold makers as they are easier to find accuracy with and there are more powder combinations that work. My designs do not have quite as long of noses as a true LFN and they have a bit wider of a meplat with a tangent nose profile.

If you are wanting to go production mold then the Lee 452-255-RF is a good choice in the 250 grain area and has been an easier design to work with for many people. If you can find an older Lyman 452424 or 454424 mold that is another decent Keith design at 255 to 260 grains. Should you end up going the custom mold route there are many great choices or you can design your own.

jmort
04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
First two things I would do is send the cylinder off to the Cylinder man and even if it is in spec, it would be worth the $30.00 plus shipping. Next I would get an good action job and Belt Mountain pin. Then I would give it a go. 45-270-SAA suggestion is a very good one.

jonp
04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
First two things I would do is send the cylinder off to the Cylinder man and even if it is in spec, it would be worth the $30.00 plus shipping. Next I would get an good action job and Belt Mountain pin. Then I would give it a go. 45-270-SAA suggestion is a very good one.

why a new pin?

jmort
04-21-2013, 05:22 PM
This explains it better than I ever could
http://www.realguns.com/archives/008.htm

Dale53
04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I have both the NOE version of the Lyman 454424 and the Mihec version of the 45-270-SAA. The 270 is now my bullet of choice (in both solid and hollow point) for the .45 Colt. It works well in standard loads as well as "Ruger Only" loads. There is nothing wrong with the NOE bullet (my bullet of choice for a heavy load in the .45 Auto Rim) but I prefer the heavier weight (actually weighs 285 grs in my alloy) for the .45 Colt.

FWIW
Dale53

44man
04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
why a new pin?
My same question. I don't need to read about it. The pin is as important as side cylinder play to allow cylinder alignment from the boolit. Too tight can be bad. It can result in an immediate accuracy loss and wear to the throats, forcing cone and rifling.

jonp
04-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Ok, a new pin from Bear Mountain it is and I think I will get one for my 357 Blackhawk while I am at it. Any suggestions on the style? Seems they have several to choose from.
also, 270gr seems to be the consensus so that sounds good to me.
Thanks for the help

pmer
04-22-2013, 04:36 PM
I just got the newest member of my family home and I'm pretty tickled. 45 Colt Blackhawk (New Model) 7.5in barrel. This is my first 45 Colt so I was wondering if everyone had a good place to start with a boolit. I was thinking 250gr and work my way out from there. Any opinions? Ok, bad question. Any comments and suggestions? All kind of good loads on this site due to great reloaders here with a ton of experience with this caliber.

I think the classic load to start with would be Lyman SWC with Red Dot or Unique. Mine likes 8.0 of Unique with the 452424. Had to work the chamber throats so they would push through and never bought a after market cylinder pin though.

jonp
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I read on a different thread about substituting 20/28 for Unique and getting equal results. Using about .2-.3grains less. I have already switched from Red Dot to Promo and had great luck as well as saving some money in the process. I was worried about top velocities without 2400 or something like that but I'm pretty happy so far.
Anyone tried 20/28?