PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys do it?

mrblue
04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
i would like to try and work up my own loads with a powder that doesn't have anyload data. Just wondering how you guys start to do it. Do you look at similar powders and work from there or how do you start. And just for reference. I want to use varget with a 200grn lee boolit in 30/06. Thanks

454PB
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Hodgdon shows two loads for Varget and a 200 gr. jacketed bullet on their web site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Start load is 42 grains for jacketed, personally, I'd probably try 40 grains as a start point.

Larry Gibson
04-21-2013, 04:25 PM
That "wheel" has already been invented. In your '06 start at 28 gr Varget with a 3/4 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1/2 gr increments to 34-36 gr using 10 shot groups at 100 yards. The group size will tell you where the best accuracy is in that range. A chronograph would also be useful because when the ES gets under 75 fps (50 fps preferably) that tells you the Varget is igniting and burning efficiently. Also the best accuracy will be in the 1800 - 1950 fps range with that bullet if cast well of a good alloy.

Larry Gibson

DrCaveman
04-21-2013, 05:09 PM
The premise 'start low and work up' really applies well to your situation. Of course that should be tempered with the fact that some powders do not do well when loaded low, with some terrible consequences...so ive heard.

Ive done a lot of what your asking about, since i dont always want to drop what i am doing and run to the store because recipe XX called for imr4350 instead of h4350, or maybe the recipe calls for a lyman 311299 boolit instead of the Lee 200 gr. One must realize the common features between substitute components, and adjust accordingly. Or at least, humbly accept that you are walking uncharted territory and tread cautiously.

As larry says, filler will help maintain accuracy and safety with a lot of powders loaded low. And you might as well go ahead with his suggested charges, he's obviously done it before.

As a general practice (and i am no expert, but ive never blown up or damaged a gun) i try to use load data for a boolit a bit heavier than i am loading for. Since jacketed bullet load data is so plentiful, this is usually what i use. For instance jacketed 220 gr load data for 30-06 should be in the ballpark for the boolit you are talking about. This aught to keep you from damaging anything.

Leading and accuracy, well that is a different subject, and one for which i have been whipped many times. My take is: first get a safe, reasonably accurate load, THEN suss out my boolit fit and lube and give or take half a grain to dial it in. I may do it different in 15 years, but i am pretty new and this makes sense to me.