PDA

View Full Version : Fast revolver shooting

jaystuw
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
There is a you tube video of a guy shooting a double action revolver very fast (machine gun fast!) that is really impressive. That kind of skill must be rare, but is it unique? I was wondering If anyone here has tried shooting that fast and might of gotten good at it? jay

rintinglen
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM
It is not unique, but darned hard.
Back in 76 I got a copy of McGivern's book and got the itch to duplicate his feet of 5 shots in 9/20's of a second. Never happened. I did get to where I could get 5 shots in .9 seconds (once) but the one second mark was a barrier I could not break. I knew a Border Patrolman who said he could hit the .75 second mark, but I never saw him perform it--he was however lightning fast on the draw. From a Hume Border Patrol Style Holster un snapped, he could break the half second mark on demand, and with decent hits too.

MtGun44
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Probably Mikulich (spelled wrong). I think you have to be
wired right at the factory for that kind of speed. Not a dealer
installed option. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

imashooter2
04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Jerry Miculek is the best action revolver shooter in the world. An incredible thing to watch live. I regularly shoot USPSA and ICORE with Grand Masters Josh Lentz and David Olhasso. They're pretty fast too. I'm a "C" shooter in both sports and it is humbling to think you really nailed a stage and then watch one of the pros shoot it 50 - 75% faster with a perfect score. I once edged Josh on a single stage at a local USPSA match. I wasn't on his squad, so I'm not sure what disaster befell him. He must have had to run back to his car for more ammo. :)

waksupi
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
All it takes, is a couple millions rounds of practice. I would bet that Jerry Miculek has hands strong enough to crush a billiard ball. Most people's hands don't have the strength to pull it off, and tie up the gun by short stroking.

44man
04-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Practice, practice and more and more.
I did a lot of stuff when young but no more. You can't stop for a day and a month will take it all away.
Face facts. You work for a living and get to shoot once in a while. Many need to drive a long way to a range. You are normal shooters. I am now just a normal shooter.
I admire good shooters and fast shooters but it is no longer important.
It takes both money and time.

imashooter2
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Practice, practice and more and more.
I did a lot of stuff when young but no more. You can't stop for a day and a month will take it all away.
Face facts. You work for a living and get to shoot once in a while. Many need to drive a long way to a range. You are normal shooters. I am now just a normal shooter.
I admire good shooters and fast shooters but it is no longer important.
It takes both money and time.

It's still cheaper than drag racing. :)

Those guys didn't start off as pros. They got that good while they worked for a living just like us.

Tatume
04-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Probably Mikulich (spelled wrong). I think you have to be
wired right at the factory for that kind of speed. Not a dealer
installed option. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Miculek

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764931_-1_757894___ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

S&W has a Model 625 he endorsed.

Dale53
04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Yep! Here's mine (and NO, I do not match Jerry's speed - NO ONE DOES:veryconfu.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/SW625-8JMSpecial-3351.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/SW625-8JMSpecial-3351.jpg.html)

I will say that this ranks with the best revolver I've ever used. It has become my most shot revolver...

Dale53

Tatume
04-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Hi Dale,

What make and model of scope base do you have?

Thanks, Tom

44man
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I could match Jerry's speed if I hooked a gun to a machine! [smilie=s:
Now I heard a bulk box of .22's going for $43, same as I used to pay $8 for.
We are getting priced out of shooting.

DeanWinchester
04-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I've always loved Jerry, he's incredible.
I wanna see him star in a zombie movie. ....it wouldn't actaully be a movie, more like a short film.

Dale53
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Tatume;
That particular scope base is no longer offered. However, Jack Weigand offers excellent bases for decent prices. They have solid recoil lugs so that they don't shift from recoil (design of a handgun scope mount is critical and Weigand does it well). I have used them on a number of handguns and they work very well. Keep in mind that the shorter barrels (like the 4" pictured) can interfere with the front sight. You need to check that out (a quick phone call will do that). The particular mount shown required relieving to give clearance between mount base and front sight (not really a problem to do, but something you ought to know:razz:):

http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

Dale53

Sax.45
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I'll agree with Dale53. Weigand mounts are excellent. No drilling or tapping required. I have used them on a few different handguns.
I can hop in my car and be at his shop in about 30 minutes.[smilie=s:. They are great people to deal with...

fecmech
04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Weigand mounts are excellent. No drilling or tapping required.
Not necessarily so, depends on the gun. Older S&W's and Rugers not D&T'd.

KCSO
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
If you want to do this stuff you need a gun set up properly. First it needs to be slick and second it needs strong springs and like Waksupi said you need strong hands. When I was active in PPC I would carry hand exercisers with me and do 50 squeezes and hour while on patrol, night after night. I shot 30,000 rounds of live ammo a year and probably twice that many primers in Speer Target 38's. My fastest time for 6 shots was .85 seconds with all shots in the head of a B27 at 7 yards. If I were to try that today I would need a new gun and a couple months of practice to get back in the groove as I now shoot mostly a M/L pistol. If you want to get started on this load up wax loads for your 38, put in a 15 pound return spring or more and start shooting. A good hand with a revolver can dump 6 rounds into a taget FASTER than a 1911.

BCRider
04-22-2013, 04:15 PM
It's amazing what lots of practice can do for a good shooter's final rise to record performances. Jerry Miculek is likely the top of the double action crew. But there's some amazing single action speed shooters as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8bJ3TLEbZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8DESEWH_QQ

Every so often someone posts about the viability of using a SAA style side arm as a self defense weapon. There are immediately lots of negative replies related to slow rates of follow up fire. But in the back of my mind is the thought "which side of the gun would I like to be on with guys like these two?"

454PB
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I watched Jerry on a shooting show a while back where he was saying he had to take some time off to let his hand heal. He said the soreness was caused by his hand constantly slapping his holster.

Jack Stanley
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
.....and that is an INFRINGEMENT on our right to keep and bear arms.

I want my free stuff. Where's my free stuff? ;)

Yeah that , I want my free ammo !! where do I sign up for my obamammo[smilie=s:

Just for giggles , ya oughta watch Jerry shoot the M1Garand :shock:

Jack

44man
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
What hurts me bad is the loss of Bob Munden. Another one of the greats.
I read a lot about McGivern and how he had physical problems and overcame them. I seen a lot of his shooting but only on film.
We have many today that are great and they deserve our praise.
They are also good people, something about shooting that no other sport can bring out in a person. The best will bend over backwards to help anyone.
In any sport, the worst were those that thought they were great, seen archers smash a bow on a tree, IHMSA shooters cuss a blue streak. But never the best that would help.
Only a few of course but they are there. Hunters are the same, some think they are best because they lucked into a big buck. I don't like trophy hunters.
The best are humble and would be great neighbors and friends. They would come and help if you needed it, even with a mower.
When I watch the best shoot, if they lose they will show true colors and true sportsmanship. They don't crawl in a hole, they are real men or women.
They laugh for real and show humor that is not fake.
Yes, I know a few that know everything and can't be disputed, it is sad.
Many times I would be tied for a shoot off with a guy. I said to give my friend the trophy. I felt good and my friend felt good. I made a friend, better then a hunk of metal.
I don't know Jerry but will bet he is a normal person, no head in the clouds.

Tatume
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
When I was shooting High Power at Quantico a fellow took me under his wing and taught me more about rifle shooting in about three years than I had learned previously in my entire life. His name was Alex Arieta, and (although I didn't know it at the time) he was the National Champion. Great guy, and I wish I could locate him now to say thanks again.

Take care, Tom

44man
04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
When I was shooting High Power at Quantico a fellow took me under his wing and taught me more about rifle shooting in about three years than I had learned previously in my entire life. His name was Alex Arieta, and (although I didn't know it at the time) he was the National Champion. Great guy, and I wish I could locate him now to say thanks again.

Take care, Tom
You have seen what I said. Super great people. The best are the best in any walk of life. Pass it on.