PDA

View Full Version : Shooting glove for hard kickin' Single Action Ruger - 45 Colt

DougGuy
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Anybody have a favorite rt. handed glove for heavy recoiling SAAs? Piece of pipe insulation maybe?

I can do this in less than 30rds.. Short barreled OM Vaquero with 340gr hog boolits over hefty amounts of H110.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01461_zps6bfa5a9e.jpg

454PB
04-21-2013, 11:26 AM
That looks like a SBH knuckle. I use a pair of Uncle Mike's shooting gloves for the heavy kickers.

john hayslip
04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, Trail Boss, it makes them plumb fun to shoot and enjoy. Yes I know that I didn't really answer the question - i Just save the heavy hitters for when I need them - not practice or fun. John

DougGuy
04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, Trail Boss, it makes them plumb fun to shoot and enjoy. Yes I know that I didn't really answer the question - i Just save the heavy hitters for when I need them - not practice or fun. John

Perzacktly.. But, ya still gotta develop loads and sight in with them.. Then they can sit in their MTM boxes until required to dispense an unruly piggie or two.. Went to two LGS today, and neither one had any serious shooting gloves. Guess they all shoot .38 SPL or .45 ACP. Wonder if golf gloves will do the trick?

crabo
04-21-2013, 10:41 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-16633.html

DougGuy
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Hrmm.. 6yr old thread. The Uncle Mike's that have the longer and padded middle finger are discontinued, and their regular shooter's gloves and the PAST gloves don't have that middle finger protection. I'm thinking some duct tape and a leather work glove is better than nothing.

454PB
04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm a lefty, so I gave the right glove to my Son. If that hadn't happened, I'd send it to you.

metalbender
04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Why punish yourself with heavy loads. Lighten up for plinking, save a few heavy hitters for work. The holes are the same size in the end.

357maximum
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Look at "weight lifting gloves" .....Any MCSports type store carries them and they are not real spendy.

DougGuy
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Why punish yourself with heavy loads. Lighten up for plinking, save a few heavy hitters for work. The holes are the same size in the end.

One must first develop the heavy hitters in order to have any.. And then one must shoot said heavy hitters in one's own gun to know where point of impact is, relative to the sight picture.

454PB that is incredibly kind of you!

Look at "weight lifting gloves"

Yep, we have an REI store here that I might visit, they have about every kind of sporting equipment known to man I think, will check there too.

I don't have that much more shooting to do with these loads, they have performed quite well and group nicely right on top of the front sight blade at 50' which isn't a lot but it's most likely the range that shots will be taken during hunting. I do have a few more loads to test and then see what they look like at 50 and 70yds, a glove would still come in handy.

W.R.Buchanan
04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Doug: Google: "Hatch Gloves" They make motorcycle, shooting and tactical gloves (with hard kncukles!)

Most are available from LA Police Gear. I have a pair of MC and shooting gloves and they dampen the recoil a little.

A better fix if your gun is a Ruger SBH is to buy a Bisley grip frame and hammer kit from Brownells and convert the grip.

The Ruger Bisley grip is the most comfortable grip for a high power revolver that anyone has come up with. You will find most of the Custom Revolver Builders are using these guns as a basis for their hotrod hoglegs.

http://www.customsixguns.com/index.htm

This guy pretty much knows what he's doing. He makes guns that make our .44's &.45's look like BB guns!:Fire:

Randy

DougGuy
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Hehh here is a neat story about this gun.. Bisley comment made me have to tell it!

This gun went back to Ruger and got rebarreled in 1996, it still shot badly left, I got disgusted with it and threw it in a box where it laid for 17yrs. Finally I sent it back early this year, cause it wouldn't stay on a 10" paper plate at 25yds. I told them this whole 17yr long story about how disgusted I was with it and it had missed a buck at 20yds cause it shot so far to the left when I got it back the first time. They fixed it, and I had asked for a SBH hammer, and a birdshead grip frame, which I offered to pay for. Well, they didn't have any birdshead grip frames, they had been out for a week on the production floor, so (oh man, they yanked my chain SO hard over this too..) they said they fitted a Bisley grip frame to it. I says huh? I didn't ask for no Bisley! The tech says "yeah man, it's right here in the notes..." and then went on to tell me how lucky I was, they didn't do stuff like that for nobody, supervisor had said any such requests the customer was going to have to shell out for, oh he played it to the MAX!

I'm like Okay, okay, I'm not ********, and I offered to send them overnight the birdshead grip frame I bought the week before when they said they were out of them. "Oh no, that won't be necessary! They've already polished the Bisley frame..." Plays it some more of course..

Then a week later, girl calls and says they are shipping my gun back today, and I asked if it had a Bisley grip frame, she says yes, Bisley hammer, she says yes, Bisley trigger, she says yes.. Bout that time I am thinking to myself well sh*t if I had wanted a Bisley, I would have BOUGHT ONE!

Box comes, UPS guy leaves, I take it inside, and I must admit I had some reservations after I offered to send them the birdshead grip frame and the guy turned it down, I kinda figured something was up, anyway I open the box, and hollered. There they had fitted the Super Blackhawk hammer, birdshead grip frame, new cylinder with the black powder chamfer, they had mirror polished the whole gun even the flats on the hammer, it was totally custom how I had wanted it for years and years, easy packing big bore trail gun with a custom hammer and a rounded butt, and never charged me a nickel not even for shipping. And the gun shot exactly where the sights were pointed!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01393_zpsc0630c40.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01393_zpsc0630c40.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01382_zpsee3df5b6.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01382_zpsee3df5b6.jpg.html)

Nope, and I say that politely, ain't putting a Bisley grip frame on this one.. :)

I won't be shooting it a whole lot after I get my loads all straight for it, it will be used hunting and that's about it. Guess I gotta roll with the punches until then.

Edit: Hatch LR10 3/4 finger tactical gloves headed this way, if they leave that middle knuckle hanging out, I can send them back and get the full fingered gloves.

THANK YOU!

W.R.Buchanan
04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Seriously? you want to know what gloves to wear? Does your pinky finger even touch the grip?

I offered the Bisley grip idea because it has the most surface area to spread out the recoil. Your Birdshead grip is half the size of a Bisley grip. This gun is going to hurt you no matter what, and your cannon loads will only make the pain worse..

Nice looking gun! I love the way they yanked you around.

You might try some heavy welding gloves.

Randy

DougGuy
04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I took your advice on the Hatch gloves, some 3/4 finger gloves are coming. I won't need them except with the heaviest loads, and with those it don't take many to do your knuckle a job. I shot it today with some lesser loads and it was downright manageable with the little finger curled underneath the grip as previously posted. Today was the field outing for a new pair of Moose antler grips I made for it, they are a little thinner and take up less room than the black factory grips, they worked really good. I don't have small hands but shooting with little finger underneath the butt and the thinner grips put over 1/8" more clearance between my knuckle and the trigger guard so it's all good.

W.R.Buchanan
04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Hope those work out for you.

Did you go to Linebaugh's website and watch the video? That was a .500 Linebaugh shooting a 400 gr boolit at over 1500fps ,,,, One handed! Those guys are not messing around.

That's more powerful than a .45-70!

Randy

cowboy
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Howdy- PLEASE post up how those Hatch gloves work for ya! Just as a side note- I've owned several Bisley Rugers, and they just don't work for me- sort of like shooting a heavy recoiling hacksaw, and while they LOOK fine, the Bisley Hammer is, for me, NOT superior to the Super Blackhawk hammer, which allows for much more "natural" cocking of the action.
YES I have shot heavy .45 Colt loads, and have a Freedom Arms 83 in .454 . Like it better than the Bisley gripframe. Those folks know a thing or two about heavy loads in single actions, too.