PDA

View Full Version : 32 special article in American Rifleman

Nobade
04-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Not a bad article, except he didn't give the cast boolits a fair chance. Sized them too small and loaded them with fast burning gunpowder and complained they weren't accurate and hit low. I kept thinking if he would just leave them unsized and used the same 4064 loads as he did with the jacketed ones he would have a lot better results. But of course then he couldn't justify buying the factory made ones and folks might realize some of what you can do with boolits. To his credit he did at least shoot SOME cast through them. Really would have been a hoot if he had shot those rifles with some paper patched ammo though...

-Nobade

superbee
04-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Pretty much my thoughts, as well. I was a little surprised to see IMR 4064 as one of his powder choices, although it seemed to work pretty well. Not usually one of the commonly recommended powders for 32 WS.

runfiverun
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
it is too bad he didn't do things right.
the 32 win is fully capable of matching jaxketed loads in velocity and accuracy.
mine does right well with .324 boolits.

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Never gave serious thought to j-words in my 32WS. Just didn't seem right. Today a magazine article must not only sell magazines but it must also keep the advertisers happy. I'm surprised they mentioned CB's at all. Which issue is that?

6pt-sika
04-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with the article .

When my membership in the NRA runs out next year I won't reup !

kudoo
04-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Come on now ! If it weren't for the NRA we all wouldn't be having all this FUN !

rbertalotto
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....reconsider. Strength in numbers! Most of us don't agree with everything the NRA does and we all hate the junk mail.....but the huge numbers of members does influence the way the politicians vote.

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with the article .

My membership expires when I do. I generally find an article or two that I enjoy but many times I never bother to read it. Too bad, many of the historic articles seem to be well written.
I also hope you'll reconsider leaving the NRA. The NRA-ILA fights for everyone's gun rights every day and far too few gun owners support them. I agree that they have on occasion come up short but I'll continue to support them.

waksupi
04-22-2013, 12:44 AM
I've really been liking the historical articles. This months piece on Market Garden was very interesting.

6pt-sika
04-22-2013, 12:50 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....reconsider. Strength in numbers! Most of us don't agree with everything the NRA does and we all hate the junk mail.....but the huge numbers of members does influence the way the politicians vote.

I don't actually believe they have any idea how to conserve the money they get !

What they waste on mailers , telemarketers etc trying to get more money out of me each year certainly costs more then I paid !

I was at a gunshow in Chantilly Virginia one year and they had their booth set up with the Great Whitetails or something like that . Anyway they had a bunch of the nicer whitetail heads on display that were P&Y as well as B&C . The clown working that booth would not leave me alone long enough for me to enjoy his display . After that I made up my mind the next time I had to renew forget it !

And actually I did , but to run the lever silhouette matches at out club I needed to reup which I did for 5 years ! It runs out in about a year and when it does I am done with them PERIOD !

gandydancer
04-22-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't like a lot of what they do sometimes.some of the long timers working there should retire post haste. time for some new & younger faces.

Jon K
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Too bad this post got side-tracked....and even sadder that anyone would make the anti-gunners happy, dropping out of the NRA.

Jon

oldred
04-22-2013, 07:59 PM
I hardly look at the magazine anymore, or any magazine for that matter but are you saying you are not going to re-up because the magazine sucks? The NRA is a heck of a lot more than that cheap book!

Like someone else said, my membership will expire when I do.

Chill Wills
04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
:hijack::hijack::hijack::hijack:

Yup, hijacked for sure
here is some more too

6pt-sika,
I get the part about NRA oversight on the $$$$
I am sure the power lunch budget is only the tip is the iceberg.

But, that aside, The 2nd need all the friends it can get especially just about now. Some days I think the majority of our citizenry has lost all connection with how we got here and what it will take to stay free.

I do not see any other org doing a better job of holding our elected representatives feet to the fire than the NRA. I pay for other people's welfare, food stamps, medical bills and bribes to other countries to pretend they like us. Now it looks like the rest of us will be paying your way to support and defend the 2nd too. Well, no problem. Enjoy and keep exercising your rights. We've got you covered.

BTW- 28gr R-7 RCBS GC Shoots great!

-Michael Rix

uscra112
04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Haven't received my copy yet. Maybe I won't. I didn't renew on time, for many of the reasons others have mentioned. I finally did, because they are still the strongest lobbying organization in Washington. What whets my edge is how they took credit for the landmark lawsuit successes that the Second Amendment Foundation (Alan Gura) actually did the work to accomplish. Did you know they actually opposed the Heller suit?

6pt-sika
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Too bad this post got side-tracked....and even sadder that anyone would make the anti-gunners happy, dropping out of the NRA.

Jon

You wanna pay my dues feel free !

6pt-sika
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Incidently FWIW , I thought Layne Simpson's article on the anniversary of the 7mm STW to be a far more enjoyable article to read !

nekshot
04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Wow, are we a cranky old lot or what? OK, they might have alot of problems but are any of us influencing society as much as they are? And today as I read the 32 article I also thought they cut casting off short but we don't need the groubies finding out the truth of casting do we? I am selfish at times!

Hyphenated
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
+1 on the RL-7....I'm using 23grs and a 170 or 175gr boolit.

izzyjoe
04-23-2013, 08:52 PM
4064 is a great powder for the 30-30, and the 32.

pietro
04-23-2013, 09:03 PM

I'm sure Chill Wills said that if you quit the NRA, who's been fighting for YOUR gun rights, then all of us remaining NRA members will continue to pay them to do so - even though YOU'LL still reap from it:

"Now it looks like the rest of us will be paying your way to support and defend the 2nd too. Well, no problem. Enjoy and keep exercising your rights. We've got you covered."

waksupi
04-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Want a free cell phone with that?

6pt-sika
04-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Want a free cell phone with that?

Yes a new I Phone 5 to replace my old one would be nice but only if you give me an unlimited usage plan !

6pt-sika
04-23-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm sure Chill Wills said that if you quit the NRA, who's been fighting for YOUR gun rights, then all of us remaining NRA members will continue to pay them to do so - even though YOU'LL still reap from it:

"Now it looks like the rest of us will be paying your way to support and defend the 2nd too. Well, no problem. Enjoy and keep exercising your rights. We've got you covered."

Okay so who am I supposed to PM my mailing adress so they can send in my dues check ?

Just to make it easier pay me up for life membership . But I'll only accept it if you make sure they DO NOT call me , email me or send me useless junk in the mail !

6pt-sika
04-23-2013, 10:54 PM
All jokes aside when I was a kid I thought being a member of the NRA was the greatest thing in the world right there beside getting a hunting license every year !

But my thoughts on the organization and surely their methods have changed all that for me !

I see the gentleman they're grooming to be the next president of the NRA about once a month as he visits our shop . Also go to his place when he puts on his live military demonstration each year .

But it sounds as if you guys wanna take away one of my rights as well !

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

Chill Wills
04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
All jokes aside when I was a kid I thought being a member of the NRA was the greatest thing in the world right there beside getting a hunting license every year !

But my thoughts on the organization and surely their methods have changed all that for me !

I see the gentleman they're grooming to be the next president of the NRA about once a month as he visits our shop . Also go to his place when he puts on his live military demonstration each year .

But it sounds as if you guys wanna take away one of my rights as well !

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

WOW! Really?

Sometimes doing the right thing involves holding your nose while doing it!
Currently, the defeated left is regrouping with Bloomberg's help to specifically counter NRA influence. They will have a big influence in the future.

I think you are smart and have the means to afford to Help the fight and stand with us to make our numbers strong.

Buy you a membership? Ha, you intentionally missed the point to redirect. The membership I WILL be buying for someone is not you but for my 9 year old son! And I hope to raise him with some values - to NOT be a whiner, have a thick skin and support a good cause for the long view even if some aspects of it are not perfect.

I would hope you too could look past the few slights imposed upon you by the NRA and see the good that comes from all of us standing together. -Michael Rix.

6pt-sika
04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
WOW! Really?

Sometimes doing the right thing involves holding your nose while doing it!
Currently, the defeated left is regrouping with Bloomberg's help to specifically counter NRA influence. They will have a big influence in the future.

I think you are smart and have the means to afford to Help the fight and stand with us to make our numbers strong.

Buy you a membership? Ha, you intentionally missed the point to redirect. The membership I WILL be buying for someone is not you but for my 9 year old son! And I hope to raise him with some values - to NOT be a whiner, have a thick skin and support a good cause for the long view even if some aspects of it are not perfect.

I would hope you too could look past the few slights imposed upon you by the NRA and see the good that comes from all of us standing together. -Michael Rix.

Since you say your son is 9 I "assume" you are 40 or less . And if thats the case I'd had an NRA mebership before you were born !

So looks like I was donating my 2 cents before you were born.

Quite frankly I've joined the NRA maybe 5 times in my life and been a member a combined 30 or so years .
It's great if a person willingly wants to be a member etc etc . And on the other hand if a person chooses to no longer be a member then folks should take it in stride .

sparky45
04-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Amen Brother; free country, at least for a while longer.

Chill Wills
04-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Since you say your son is 9 I "assume" you are 40 or less . And if thats the case I'd had an NRA mebership before you were born !

So looks like I was donating my 2 cents before you were born.
You have assumed wrong. More distraction and redirection. I think I have said enough. I gave you more credit. You can have the last word.

Quite frankly I've joined the NRA maybe 5 times in my life and been a member a combined 30 or so years .
It's great if a person willingly wants to be a member etc etc . And on the other hand if a person chooses to no longer be a member then folks should take it in stride .

Sorry all - hijack over from me.[smilie=b:

helice
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I wasn't impressed with the article and especially with the cast portion.
Like Hyphenated I was please to see Re-Loder 7 represented.

sparky45
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
I gotta tell ya, I got the latest issue of American Rifleman downloaded to my iPad and I was really impressed with the video content that went along with the issue. If you don't have the NRA App for the iPad I strongly recommend you get it; it was a joy reading in that format. BTW, the NRA App is free.

W.R.Buchanan
04-26-2013, 12:12 AM
I wasn't impressed with the article either. However John Haviland writes for Rifle and Handloader as well. He is a relatively interesting read usually and is pretty knowledgable overall.

He has done several articles on cast boolits. None were that technically useful, and anyone could get more info on loading the 32 WS with cast or jwords here in one hour than in his articles. But in the broader sense he is a good writer. I don't think that the average AR reader is as technically oriented as we are here.

He really needs to bone up on his technique here before he writes another article on this subject however.

6pt-sika: Just write the damn check and be done with it. $35 ain't gonna kill you. You can opt out of the magazine, and just have your wife trash all the mail so you don't see it.

We all need to stick together, and you know it. [smilie=s:

Randy

6pt-sika
04-26-2013, 02:13 PM
6pt-sika: Just write the damn check and be done with it. $35 ain't gonna kill you.
We all need to stick together, and you know it. [smilie=s:

Randy

My membership expires in 14 months I think .
They've gotten their last red cent from me .

akmac
04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok all, I have a question for all you 32 Special casters/shooters. I inherited an early 40s vintage Winchester in .32 Special and would like to know what would be a good mold to use? Looking at some of the mold makers there doesn't seem to be very much selection out there for this caliber. I would use this for black bear and deer hunting.

Chill Wills
04-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Lyman has a few mould designs and can be found used but the RCBS is a good bet. It is the only one I have used. My 1940's vintage carbine really likes it. Up to Full loads of reloader #7 and most any large rifle primer can be used and if you water drop your ww-alloy or cast some scrap alloy that will harden up for you it really does not take much to make it work well. For the faster velocity loads use a good lube. There are many to choose from but my old standard has been LBT Blue. The RCBS 170FN cast with a two part-soft nose works well if the target is meat.

akmac
04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks C.W.
I was looking at the RCBS 170FN for a meat getter.

GabbyM
04-27-2013, 03:00 PM
As far as I know the RCBS 170 grain is about the max weight limit for the slow twist in the 32 Special. Its also about the right weight for achieving fast velocities.

Saw 4064 mentioned. Supposed IMR 4064. I like the AA 4064. It’s a shorter stick that actually meters. Slower than IMR 4064. Closer to H-Varget. It may be to slow in a 32 Special for max velocity before running out of case capacity. I very much like RL7 in my 30-30 under the light 150 grain boolits. Very clean burning and low recoil. I’ve been loading 26.0 grains as a reduced from max loading. Plenty of reach for an iron sighted gun. Easy on brass! Have heavier bullets to load over H-LeverEvelotion if I want the Winny 94 to roar.

Philngruvy
04-27-2013, 07:26 PM
The NRA-ILA fights for everyone's gun rights every day and far too few gun owners support them. I agree that they have on occasion come up short but I'll continue to support them.
Take the NRA out of the ring, then who do you have left? The NRA may not send you a magazine that you think is worthwile but the magazine is a perk that they give you for your support. Like a little icing on the cake. Again, take them out of the ring and look in either direction and see who is standing next to you. I say when the going gets rough, any help is better than no help. BTW, this thread reminds me that I need to re-up.

Canuck Bob
05-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to hear they at least advocated cast bullets. I chose the 32 Special over the 30-30 when I decided to add a Winchester 94 to my stable. It went well with my 444 and 32-20.

It is a real advantage to have the slow twist for a cast shooter. I learned about that here.

TXGunNut
05-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Finally got around to reading the article, sounds like the "old" rifle's bore needs to be relined or just doesn't like boolits. Nice to see a couple of old rifles getting a little TLC and some range time. Not often we see an article mentioning CB's and the 32WS. As most of you know editors closely control the focus of articles so we'll probably never see a comprehensive article on loading CB's in the 32WS or any other cartridge. Most readers would have no interest in it. All things considered it was a nice article IMHO but that's probably because I like old leverguns. May just read the rest of the magazine!

40-82
05-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Without the NRA we're lost, but we're in an uphill battle fighting the mainstream media. The amazing thing the NRA has managed to do is that everybody has heard of us. A few years ago I met this young portrait artist in a private residence in Philadelphia. Assuming he had an interest in art, I showed him the engraved Purdy of the people I was visiting. Of course I asked permission first. He barely glanced at the shotgun, but he whispered to me almost in shock, "Are you in the NRA?" I could feel from the tone of his voice that he didn't know that the NRA and the KKK weren't the same thing. This kid would have been less indoctrinated if he had been a loud anti-second ammendment screamer. He had no idea that I could be for the 2nd ammendment and also the first, that he could disagree with me in complete safety. We're in a hole in terms of public relations, but the only thing that could be worse for us would be if nobody had ever heard of the NRA.

By the way, I think the 32 Winchester Special with jacketed bullets is an adequate close range deer rifle for broadside chest shots. If you try to reach the killing zone from an angle, you'll either get a lot of blackened meat or a lost deer. With cast bullets it is at least as accurate, can be loaded to the same velocity, and bullet performance is dramatically superior.

W.R.Buchanan
05-26-2013, 08:48 PM
TXGN: your point about most readers not having any interest is where I take exception. I have heard the same thing from many Mag editors when I'm telling them about things I'd like to see that would make their mag stand out. Some listen and some don't.

I realize that the purpose of magazines is to sell stuff for sponsors, but really in a magazine like "Handloader" why wouldn't an article on Cast Boolits in the 32 Special be something of interest. I mean really if you are going to reload then it would seem to me that the only real reason to do it would be to use Cast boolits. Simply because you could never shoot enough jacketed bullets to make it worth while to reload in the first place. Realistically a box of Factory ammo would last you for many hunting seasons, and I doubt that you are going to load any jacketed bullet any better than a factory load for that caliber.

Point of my post is that the ONLY reason to reload that caliber is to shoot cast boolits so you can shoot the gun more so as to practice for hunting season. It would be way too costly to load jacketed bullets at $35-40/100 just to go shoot at paper targets, rocks or cans. But all of us would load boolits for the exact same purposes with not a second thought.

When a mag editor tells me that his readers have no interest in what I'm pitching him I politely tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about!

At first none of the Jeep mag editors wanted the story of the build of my Scratch Built Diesel Powered Jeep Scrambler, because thier readers wouldn't be interested in it..

Then I direct them to my build thread at 4BTSWAPS.com with nearly 70,000 views! and all of a sudden thier readers are very interested, and now all of them want it!

When an editor says that thier readers are not interested, the direct translation is "He,,, is not interested in "you" getting any sponsorship help with your project, that would take away from his getting stuff for free!"

This is how they suppliment thier meager incomes. They get great deals on guns from factories as well.

With the gun mags, and I have friends in that busness as well. If you want to get them to publish an article, chances are you will get rejected because thier readers are not interested but the article will miraculously get assigned to one of thier staff writers. Had it happen several times.

Shame cuz mine would have been more informative and I would have done it for free!

So you can see why I take exception?

Randy

TXGunNut
05-26-2013, 11:31 PM
TXGN: your point about most readers not having any interest is where I take exception. I have heard the same thing from many Mag editors when I'm telling them about things I'd like to see that would make their mag stand out. Some listen and some don't.

I realize that the purpose of magazines is to sell stuff for sponsors, but really in a magazine like "Handloader" why wouldn't an article on Cast Boolits in the 32 Special be something of interest........

So you can see why I take exception?

Randy

I agree, to a point, Randy. I could definitely enjoy an expanded, more detailed version of this artricle in a magazine marketed to handloaders. I'm pretty sure you or I would have tried a .323 boolit in the "old" gun, but that's a moot point. That's an article I could really enjoy, just don't feel most AR readers would have. At most, the average shooter has only a passing interest in reloading and knows little or nothing about casting. I don't understand it, I just accept it. These magazine editors understand it, or at least think they do. As casters and reloaders we have the freedom to cast boolits and load cartridges for guns that the mainstream shooter will likely never fire or even know much about. I know dozens of shooters but only a few reloaders outside of forum members.
I enjoyed reading about your Scrambler but most folks are stuck with production models with a few bolt-ons to personalize it. I deal with folks on a regular basis who think a performance chip and big wheels & tires will make their air hauler into a supertruck. We both know it takes more than that but the average person doesn't want to put out the effort to do it right or even figure out how it works.
I understand why you take exception but I also see what happened to the supply chain when more folks took an interest in shooting and reloading. The average gun owner doesn't have the interest or aptitude to reload or cast boolits, and I'm OK with that.

W.R.Buchanan
05-27-2013, 03:59 AM
Actually I'm ok with it too. More for us.

Sometimes I just wish more people gave a ship about what they do.

The disinvolvement of people in our society extends to any subject, and the fact that so few have a clue whats going on is really the reason our counrtry is in it's current state.

People are more interested in Dancing with the Stars than who's the vice pres. It's pretty sad when more people know who Kelly Pickler is than Joe Biden!

As a result we get more useful technical information from this site than the premier Handloading magazine.

Randy

Sixgun Symphony
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't actually believe they have any idea how to conserve the money they get !

What they waste on mailers , telemarketers etc trying to get more money out of me each year certainly costs more then I paid !

I was at a gunshow in Chantilly Virginia one year and they had their booth set up with the Great Whitetails or something like that . Anyway they had a bunch of the nicer whitetail heads on display that were P&Y as well as B&C . The clown working that booth would not leave me alone long enough for me to enjoy his display . After that I made up my mind the next time I had to renew forget it !

And actually I did , but to run the lever silhouette matches at out club I needed to reup which I did for 5 years ! It runs out in about a year and when it does I am done with them PERIOD !

Those mailers are for the NRA-ILA, it's money used for lobbying efforts on capitol hill. Those battles require money!

Your annual dues pay for cost of registration, the magazine subscription, and the "free" hat.