PDA

View Full Version : Aggrevations with the Post Office

Phoenix
04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
I have had so many things lost over the years by the post office.

I ship SFRBs with 25-27lbs of lead in them. Much easier to handle than MFRBs with lead in them. The boxes stay together because the entire box is filled with lead. And the box is fully reinforced with tape. There is no room for movement, the lead fills the entire box making the box just a skin instead of a container. out of 15 SFRBs of lead mailed thursday. I have 5 that have not moved beyond the sort facility. I have lead that was delivered in florida today. I had sent 4 boxes to a town here in montana 200 miles away priority mail that took 5 days to be delivered spread out over 3 days. I just dont know how to deal with this. I may start insuring them just to see if it corrects the problem.

Aggravated

338RemUltraMag
04-20-2013, 01:22 PM
The post office is a bunch of goons, I am glad they have DC on them now as less of my packages have been "lost" I now deal with small bubble mailers and the "is it first class or parcel post" issue. I now only go to one PO because they know what the hell they are doing.

Sorry for your troubles but I feel ya!
Josh

Phoenix
04-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Some of my bigger clients actually send my checks via fedex (on my acct#) because the post office cannot be trusted to not lose them. I sent someone cash a few weeks ago for a purchase per their request because the PO was closed. The cash was stolen and they got an empty envelope. I know you are not supposed to send cash but it still says something about the organization.

JeffinNZ
04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I suspect that dead weight boxes of lead are not considered priority mail. It's hardly perishable. [smilie=s:

Our mail is delivered by a 'postie' on a bike. I'd pay good money to see him with a couple of those boxes.

firefly1957
04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
I read an interview with a insider that was stealing from the P.O. were he worked he stole always the insured boxes as he figured they had the most value! However if you insure figure the maximum possible for value just in case they scoff at a loss you may need to justify it.

km101
04-20-2013, 06:00 PM
The PO usually finds a way to decline insurance claims. I have filed claims in the past and they have been denied because I did not have an "Original Receipt". This was for a custom belt that I was shipping to a customer! Another claim was denied because they said that "the box was not adequately secured." The box had been cut open, and the contents removed! So I have not found insurance to be much help. It's just luck-of-the-draw whether it gets there or not.

Phoenix
04-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I was only going to insure it to see if the postal workers did their jobs better when the box was insured. Yes actually all carriers will look for way to decline a claim. I really think it is the sort facility here. Dont seem to have trouble when it doesnt go through this sort facility. But to get in a juristiction that uses a different one if 150 miles.

leadman
04-20-2013, 06:08 PM
I was shipping alot of MFRB for awhile that weighted close to the #70 limit. Had no problems at all. I printed out the label at home and paid for shipping on-line.

dakotashooter2
04-20-2013, 09:11 PM
How does one "LOSE" a 25 lb box of lead?......................... They tend to stay where they are put........

They are not exactly something you accidentally kick off the truck........

Blacksmith
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
The local PO won't deliver heavy boxes I have to go pick them up, nearly 70 and you can't park close. If It Fits It Ships BUT THEY DON"T DELIVER.

Rant Off!

semtav
04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't blame them. They are really not set up like UPS most places.
We don't have home delivery here for anything. everything is PO Box. Just take a Dolly with you when you go. PO lends me theirs, but its only 20 feet to the car.

mpmarty
04-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Postal employees seem to be the laziest most misbegotten SOBs in the country.

oneokie
04-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Not all fit that description.

04-20-2013, 09:54 PM
A while back, on a Monday, I shipped four small flat rate boxes of lead, each weighing approximately 25-pounds, and all to the same address. Two were delivered on the fourth day, one on the fifth, and the last on the sixth day. So much for their claim of delivery within three business days.

tg32-20
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I live out in the country where mail is delivered by truck.

My mail lady delivered a 65# box of lead the other day and picked it up out of her truck and brought it to my front door.
She is not a big person.

I keep telling her I will pick it up at he PO, but she always says "no problem".

They are not all bad.

jcwit
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
For the number of pieces they ship & deliver on a daily basis I think they do an unbelievable job. I'm more than sure its beyond most everyones capability here.

Not so with my small local Post Office. I needed to mail around 200 packages a week or so ago, they opened an hour early for me, took all the packages, processed them, I returned later that day and paid for the postage.

Little to complain about with that system.

HangFireW8
04-20-2013, 10:07 PM
My local PO is awesome. Stuff gets delivered.

Heavy or signature only UPS packages, I get a notice slapped on the door that they "missed me" and no knock or door ring, then I chase them with no package in their hand back to their running truck parked nose out and they drive away as I'm shouting at their heels. The nearest UPS center for me to pick up is almost an hour away.

Light UPS packages without signature required seem to be no problem for them, though.

So who is lazier? It all depends on your local USPS or UPS office. You can't paint them all with the same brush.

HF

elginrunner
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Since I started a month ago, I've gotten about two hundred pounds delivered no problem.... Then today, I get a card that says I must pick up at facility due to "damaged package"..... wonder if I just have a box and label....

TreeKiller
04-21-2013, 12:41 AM
They lost a 3# package of honey bees for me a few years ago. The only scan was the insurance scan from where I sent it. Filed a clam and got the $150.00 insurance check in about 2 weeks. The replacement package went through fine. Always wondered how you could loose a pkg of bugs.

elginrunner
04-21-2013, 01:17 AM
They lost a 3# package of honey bees for me a few years ago. The only scan was the insurance scan from where I sent it. Filed a clam and got the $150.00 insurance check in about 2 weeks. The replacement package went through fine. Always wondered how you could loose a pkg of bugs.

I bet they know exactly where it happened!! just look for the swollen postal worker :razz:

Love Life
04-21-2013, 01:32 AM
My mail lady delivers all my packages to my porch. All the lead boxes I get she sticks at the gate for me. I also hook her up with gift cards on holidays....

Moving right along. I had issues with the Post Office. It seemed (at the height of the reloading equipment panic) as if they were tearing small holes in the boxes to check what was inside, and then pilfering what they could. I was tired of it. I took pictures of my boxes I packed, and I had customers take pictures of the boxes when they got to them. Pictures were emailed to me.

Before and after pictures of my package were printed out on an awesome photo printer. I sent thoe pictures along with written descriptions of the damage, an amount of money I spent on shipping every month, and an angry letter to the Post Master and my representative. No packages have been lost since, and it seems that my Nevada post office no longer uses my boxes for batting practice.

skeet1
04-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I highly suspect that the problem with the Post Office is a local one. Our local Post Office and employees are wonderful, great attitude, service and friendly. The prices are very competitive and their service is quick.

Ken

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I use two local post offices, one near where I work, another near home. Counter folks are great at both, the postmaster at the one near home is a jerk but it seems he's just following directives. I've found that using the online complaint form really gets a response.

dragon813gt
04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
"Package delivered w/out contents"
That's all you need to know about the USPS. How they think it's ok to slap that stamp on a box and deliver it is beyond me. Their tracking system is garbage. I had a short lived experiment w/ them. Two red stamped boxes out of ten so I stopper using them. UPS is convenient for me so it's who I use. Now if I could just get them to let me use the free flat rate boxes from the USPS I'd be happy.

Anytime I have lead delivered to me I end up having to file formal complaints to get it delivered. My PO opens two hours after I leave for work. And they close an hour before I get home. I pay to have a package delivered to my house. Not to have it delivered to the PO so I can pick it up. I'm patiently waiting for their complete failure.

I have never har a claim denied by UPS or FedEx. They're always handled promptly and w/ professionalism. The claims process at the USPS is an exercise in futility.

Bill*
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
My experiences with USPS have been mostly positive. Maybe because of old memories. Our old postman (back in the 60s-70s) was Emerson Tuffle, also known on our street as the pied piper. He always had a big bag of tootsie roll lollypops and all the kids would watch for him for their daily treat. Also, my father was a ship pilot/captain for Mobil Oil and his paycheck came in the mail from Texas. Emerson would swing by on Saturdays as he started his route and drop off my fathers paycheck, saying he thought my mother would like it before the bank closed. I don't expect that happens much anymore. Thanks for letting me reminisce!

Phoenix
04-21-2013, 02:29 PM
All my older experiences are good. (pre 1980) The last 20 years has been a nightmare. One battle after another. The local counter people at the post office I goto are great. Its the people behind the scenes that are the issue. I have had it out with more than one postmaster and won every time because they were wrong. No I have not made any waves here. YET!!

I am really far less inclined to start trouble now than I was 10 years ago. I just want my packages delivered, My checks to not get lost, My product not stolen, The contents not destroyed. Tracking has gotten better but it is still a joke. If someone at fedex or UPS didnt do their jobs they would get fired, union or not. Apparently being a postal worker makes you immune to such punishment for not doing your job. Come to think of it there seems to be a trend there with all government (and pseudo government) workers.

Harter66
04-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Last year I had some issues w/recieving *** ,1 of which lead to a request to deadbeat me here because both *** dropped the ball. After a few polite words w/the Postmasters husband ,no more issues here , yes it's that small a town.

This week has been intresting . The FEDEX red lable package just left No Salt Lake while the SMFRB arrived yesterday from the same place same day into the system.

plmitch
04-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Did you mean Home Depot workers?