PDA

View Full Version : lube question

bigted
04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
well I just got my feet under me concerning bp boolit lube. my choice for now is SPG as it works very well and got me outta my bp slump so am questioning everything concerning boolit lube and bp.

question I have today for ya is thusly...will the Lee allox lube included in the Lee size dies for boolit sizing work with black powder?

my quest is with the button loads I have been playin with...they include the .490 pure lead balls for my .50 MLer and I size em down to .460 inch then loaded with either unique or trail boss powder for very fun loads with my various 45-70's... I tumble lube em with Lee allox and allow to dry before loading and they do very well with no leading and very accurate at short ramge... but I want to use them with a case full of black powder and see what they will do...BUT...they are slick with no lube grooves and I don't want to lubricate my bore with tar if that is what the Lee allox will do.

so has anybody used the Lee tumble lube with black powder ? ...[smilie=s:

John Boy
04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
No but if you want to do the shake and dry routine, Liquid Red Rooster Lube does the trick with BP reloads. Sad story, the company no longer makes its. Bought a good supply from BACO who had the last of it. Use it for the little bullets & PP's

country gent
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Instead of lubing the bullet use a grease cookie of spg 1/8" - 3/16" thick under the bullet. Powder charge card wad grease cookie card wad and seat bulet. Place SPG on wax paper a couple spacers of the thickness you want another sheet of wax paper and use a rolling pin to roll it out to the spacers. Charge cases place first wad with a dowel and any compression you want cut cookie with case mouth seat card with dowel then your round ball.

bigted
04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
thought about the cookie but guess ill have to prep the barrel with a bit before the first shot so its not just lead against my barrel huh?

country gent
04-20-2013, 01:00 AM
With the /490 ball sized down to .460 the driving band isnt going to be super wide. Soft lead over black powder should swell to seal the bore very well. The another concern is keeping the black powder fouling soft. You can "season" the bore by working a little spg into a patch and running that thru the bore leaving a very tin film, but this may also affect first shot accuracy.

bigted
04-20-2013, 01:15 AM
sounds like a heck of a go...ill give it a try soon...thanks!

cajun shooter
04-20-2013, 02:18 PM
To make it easier to load; why not just seat the lead ball with a lubed wad under it just like in C&B guns and MZ rifles. It would also be the same as using lubed wads in shotgun loading. Just a idea, Later David