PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit Steel Targets

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-19-2013, 06:03 PM
I am trying to gauge interest in steel targets for cast boolits. The material will NOT be hardened steel, but rather hot rolled and most likely 3/8". I have a friend that works for a steel company in their laser cutting division and they are looking for some more work. I would like to know what size and shape of targets you would be interested in. As far as liability goes, I will not be selling these fully assembled. I am looking to make the target and cut some holes in them for mounting purposes. So that would be another aspect I would like some feedback on too (how many holes for mounting, etc).

And as most of you know, cold and hot rolled steel is not safe for high velocity bullets at close range. It will crater the targets and send bullet fragments back at you.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

rmatchell
04-21-2013, 02:39 AM
I might be interested depending on the price, as long as the wife doesnt kill me. Also your close enough to pick up in person.

NSB
04-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Ten years ago I shot Sportsman Team Challenge matches all over the country. In order to practice for these matches we built a complete set of targets to use set at distances of 25yds to 100yds. We only shot 22lr std velocity at these targets. The targets were 3/8 steel plates 2'x4' with the holes cut out for the gates/backer swing away targets. After one season the large steel plates were concave just from being repeatedly hit by 22lr ammo. Hard to believe but it's true. We ended up welding steel angle iron onto the back of the plates to keep them from bending. I know for a fact that any centerfire ammo, even low velocity cast, will only be worse than the std. velocity 22 ammo we were shooting. I admire your idea but believe me, you really need to choose your material based on what is required, not what is easily available. We choose "easily available" and it wasn't what was really needed.

castalott
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I might be interested... I'm not that far from you and could pick them up in person...I already have most of a set of 1/2 size silhouette targets ( the kids I was going to help learn to shoot took one of each for their very own , I believe) and now I have nine of each. More info such as prices, type of steel , etc would help... Thanks, Dale

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I could see a large 2'x4' steel plate being concave, but how would smaller circle targets hold up...say 1' in diameter? Or even smaller??

Also, how many rounds do you think you shot at that target?

Looks like i have some testing to do.

Some people may not want to pay for AR500 steel, or may not even need it for thier shooting needs.

Echd
04-21-2013, 12:33 PM
You may want to check out Wideners' website. They have some inexpensive silhouette and gong ar500 targets I've been eyeballing.

You definitely don't want to cut corners with your target material.

BD
04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
I have a set of 8" round steel targets I made years ago that have survived many thousands of .45 acp rounds. The 3/8" steel was cut outs for I-beam penetrations so I'm sure it is not hardened, but it may be a little higher quality than common cold rolled plate. The trick is to hang them so they slant toward the shooter. This deflects a lot of the energy, and all of the splatter, down into the ground, protecting the target as well as the shooter. Some I put bolts through to hang from chains so they swing, and some I welded short bits of pipe to the back so I can hang them on very simple rebar supports. The surface is a little rough, but they are still as flat as ever. The only real damage I've done to them was from HydroShocks, which do leave a small dent and a mark from the pin. I shoot H&G #68s at these plates by the thousands every year with no apparent damage.

Echd
04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Could you show us a picture of how you are mounting yours?

Finster101
04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
I think you could sell a few of these if you made them up. Just the plates would work as most of us could get the hitch part done locally.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139853-Hitch-cover&highlight=hitch

waksupi
04-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I would beef up the steel, or put a caliber limitation on it. My .358 Win with the heavy boolits punch right through 5/8" steel.

Love Life
04-22-2013, 03:34 AM
RCBS 125-RN over 4.4 gr of 231 from a Glock 26 has bowed in 2 el-cheapo 3/8 inch steel targets. IMHO I would get a better steel.

Somethings you just should not go cheap on. Steel targets being one of those.

BruceB
04-22-2013, 09:12 AM
A friend cut me a full-size IPSC silhouette (the old style, with the politically-incorrect "head") from 3/8" AR500. This makes a very practical long-range rifle target, which also serves its original function for up-close, fast handgun work.

After working-up my nerve for a bit, I fired JACKETED full-power 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds at this target from 100 yards. Result: NO damage except for removing some of the black paint. For something a tad over $100, I have what amounts to a lifetime target, given reasonable care (such as NO full-power .416 Rigby or .404!). I *estimate* the weight of this target to be around 60 pounds.

We have also used 12-gauge buck and slugs on it.... again, no damage, bending or other bad effects.

Comments here are correct. USE GOOD MATERIAL.

Love Life
04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
As you can see 3/8 inch steel (Ivan target) is no match for the 308 winchester firing 175 gr SMK at 2,600 FPS and impacting at 400 yards. I have 2 other Ivan targets that are bowed in the center from my above listed 9mm load at 25 yards.

My AR500 Marine Corps Echo target has eaten 308 winchester and 300 winmag and laughed at it.

The AR500 target weighs 60 lbs, and is water jet cut (no heat issues). It is a life time investment. The same company also makes smaller targets and poppers for reasonable prices.

357Wheelgunner
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I would be interested only if they were made out of AR500. HR or CR for targets is a waste of money and potentially dangerous. My preference would be 5 or 6 inch dueling plates.