PDA

View Full Version : Laser sighted Rossi....

Gun-adian
04-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Laserlyte sight on my Rossi Ranch Hand. I wasn't having much luck with the factory sight set-up. I thought this might be fun to play with. Kind of "cowboy tactical" :)

It sticks up a little bit, but not as bad as I thought it would. Slides into the Voodoo scabbard no problem.

Now to find time for a test run.....

jh45gun
04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
Having messed with lazers before not sure how well that is going to work in the sun light I doubt you will see much since it is a red one you would have been better going with green. In fact as long as you went through that much trouble you would have been better I think mounting a small dot sight on it. I had to send my Ranch Hand in for some repair the screw was not staying in the cartridge guide. I told them while they had it to made sure it was hitting POA since I was shooting way to high on the lowest setting of the elevator on the rear sight. They sent me a test target back at 30 yards with a 2 inch group centered in the target with three in the black and two at 6:00 just out of the black. I will see how it shoots if it ever quits snowing here in WI LOL. Do keep us posted on how well it works. The idea would not work for me since in WI you cannot have a lazer on a hunting gun and I plan on using mine for that.

hightime
04-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I was told that someone makes a laser that goes in mag. tube. I might like that.

NVScouter
04-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Ya try a laser at 50y in sunlight, much less the 150y most brag about. This combo is a fun stunt rig no real purpose otherwise, a glock 45 with HICAP mag is more practical. Too heavy/long/awkward as a pistol, no stock as a rifle. Sites arent worth didly either, and the lever still has to be worked top that with a short magazine tube for less ammo. You get around 8-10 45LCs in that or the Glock can get you 10-15 in a practical shootable "tactical" package.

Now the full size 16-20" would be a great practical/tactical piece. More rounds, still small, plenty of punch, easy to cycle.

jh45gun
04-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Ya try a laser at 50y in sunlight, much less the 150y most brag about. This combo is a fun stunt rig no real purpose otherwise, a glock 45 with HICAP mag is more practical. Too heavy/long/awkward as a pistol, no stock as a rifle. Sites arent worth didly either, and the lever still has to be worked top that with a short magazine tube for less ammo. You get around 8-10 45LCs in that or the Glock can get you 10-15 in a practical shootable "tactical" package. Now the full size 16-20" would be a great practical/tactical piece. More rounds, still small, plenty of punch, easy to cycle.

If I want a defensive gun I would not use this anyway I bought mine for a fun gun and something that is not as common or ordinary as a plastic Glock. LOL I have two 1911s and a Snub 38 for defensive purposes. This is my fun gun. The factory said they regulated the sights on mine I will see but if they did not aftermarket sights are available. I can shoot mine quite well like a rifle even though it is a pistol. Folks just add on a small lace on butt pad that is legal since it is not fixed to the gun. Just like you would add a rubber sleeve or new grips to a handgun. Of course a long full stock size one would not be legal but adding couple of inches is no problem. This has been checked on. I shoot mine either way as a pistol like a rifle. There is no law saying how you have to hold a handgun.

jh45gun
04-21-2013, 04:03 AM
We do agree however that lazers at least red ones are not worth beans in the sunlight. Never tried a green one so cannot comment on how well they work. I should add I find my Ranch Hand no more awkward than when I had a 15 inch barrel on my Encore. Yea the straight grip gets some getting used to but it is not as much as a handicap as some think it is.

NVScouter
04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Figured thats why you bought it, I just see no practical use for it. And you called it a cowbody tactical.

I saw that lace up pad, no hot loads with that small surface area thats for sure. I thought I remembered the Legacy Sports Rifleman addition had a add on stock extention but I dont see it in the catalog now.

If I want a defensive gun I would not use this anyway I bought mine for a fun gun and something that is not as common or ordinary as a plastic Glock. LOL I have two 1911s and a Snub 38 for defensive purposes. This is my fun gun. The factory said they regulated the sights on mine I will see but if they did not aftermarket sights are available. I can shoot mine quite well like a rifle even though it is a pistol. Folks just add on a small lace on butt pad that is legal since it is not fixed to the gun. Just like you would add a rubber sleeve or new grips to a handgun. Of course a long full stock size one would not be legal but adding couple of inches is no problem. This has been checked on. I shoot mine either way as a pistol like a rifle. There is no law saying how you have to hold a handgun.

jh45gun
04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Figured thats why you bought it, I just see no practical use for it. And you called it a cowbody tactical.

I saw that lace up pad, no hot loads with that small surface area thats for sure. I thought I remembered the Legacy Sports Rifleman addition had a add on stock extention but I dont see it in the catalog now.

NO THE OP called it a cowboy tactical I never did. :) I shoot a standard 45 Colt load in mine 8 grains of Unique with a 252 grain Semi Wadcutter. It is very manageable.

NVScouter
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Sorry for the confusion. It'd still be fun to try out at the range.

jh45gun
04-23-2013, 12:31 AM
I like it and if you hold it out like a rifle even though the short butt is not against your shoulder you can be pretty stable with it and get good sight picture.

btroj
04-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Cowboy tactical? Really? Now we can have mall ninjas and cowboy ninjas. Great

NVScouter
04-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Cowboy tactical? Really? Now we can have mall ninjas and cowboy ninjas. Great

You
Misspelled it "Tacticool".....

Do we need to bring up the picture of the new tactical coach gun? I'm not bagging on fun guns but I won't give them any credit for actual practical purposes.

jh45gun
04-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Actually this Ranch Hand is practical for the applications I bought it for besides being a fun gun. I can actually shoot it more accurately than the Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt I used for a trade in to buy this gun. My old eyes could not see the top strap front sight picture near as well as I can with the sights on the Ranch Hand.