PDA

View Full Version : 10 gr unique/.38-55/case density/filler?

samwithacolt
04-19-2013, 12:43 AM
You get the idea. If I put 10 gr unique in a .38-55 case with a 250 gr bullet, do I need a filler? If the case density is lower than 50% is it unsafe?
I hope to be making my 1st loads for this cartridge this weekend, and the only other high density powder I have is Trail Boss. Can I go 10 gr or lower with unique safely, without a filler? I can pick up some Dacron if I need to.

samwithacolt
04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Never mind, just found the same question with answer somewhere else. Search function does'nt seem to work.

rbertalotto
04-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Unique is UNIQUE in that fillers are not necessary. I did extensive tests over a chronograph using 38-55 and 45-70, with and without various fillers and could see zero difference.

Unique under a 250g bullet in the 38-55 is simply amazing. Accurate, Light recoil, Inexpensive to shoot...........What more do you want!

YunGun
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't have a chronograph for actual velocity comparisons however, in my admittedly limited experience, a positioning wad *seemed* to help with more consistent results on paper at lower (at or near start charge) weights that result in less than 50% case fill (I've only used it in a 30/30 & 30/06 so far, so this may not translate to your application, but even 15gr of Unique in a 30-06 case leaves plenty of empty space). I have the utmost respect for many of the veteran boolit casters/reloaders and the experience they bring to the discussion so would never outright disagree with the repeated claims that Unique is NOT position sensitive, however after reading everything I could find about case fillers, etc. it seems plausible to me that the same characteristics that make a filler useful for a 'position-sensitive' powder would have, at the very least, a small effect on a 'non-position-sensitive' powder as well, just in that it would ensure a more consistent ignition/pressure curve from one round to the next. It may very well be so small as to be practically insignificant, but wouldn't the principle still be the same? After many months of soaking up everything I've read here & elsewhere it seems that the only 'RULES' are: "Fit is King" & "let YOUR firearm(s) tell you what they like" so I'd suggest trying it to see how it works for you. Anyone have any other thoughts, or able to point out flaws in my logic?

Chill Wills
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
YunGun, My experience agrees with yours. I find that in my 38-55 Winchester 1894 (first full year production 118 years ago) Unique is much more accurate for 50 meter and 100 meter lever silhouette shooting, by raising the muzzle before shooting. My bench testing on paper shows this is clearly the way to go. Opinions go each way as to if adding Dacron poly fiber to this kind of load is sensible. So with out going to that extra step you can test it by at least getting most of the powder to the rear of the case and see how it works in your rifle.

I shoot the OLD West 265 grain cast bullet for silhouette. I have found that not 10 grains but 8 to 9 grains of Unique to be the most accurate in my rifles and even the lighter loads takes down the 100 meter pigs every time. I use a different powder/bullet for the longer distance Turkeys and Rams.

samwithacolt
04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys, I would like to experiment with this but my biggest concern was safety with a big space in the case. This does'nt seem to be an issue, so I'll start off without filler. Maybe even go less than 10 gr too.

358wcf
06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Feel perfectly safe to use 10.0 gr Unique in either 30wcf or 38-55 with any std boolit weight without filler. Excellent accuracy, no noise, no recoil, just a safe, friendly round that is easy on the shoulder and pocketbook to shoot. Experience shows this is a winner!
358wcf

fecmech
06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
This may ease your mind a bit Sam. I've been playing with plain base bullets in the 30-30 and using some Herco which is one step slower than Unique. The load that seems to be working very well is 8.5 grs of Herco/31141(180 gr)/and a CCI large pistol primer. This is giving me 1262 FPS avg, 39 fps extreme spread and SD of 11 fps for a 10 shot string. No attempt was made to position powder in the case prior to firing. Rounds were taken from a ziploc bag on the bench and placed in the gun. Load groups less than 2"@100 yds out of my peep sighted 340 Savage. It's basically a 180 gr .22 rifle!

trk
06-25-2013, 08:32 PM
You get the idea. If I put 10 gr unique in a .38-55 case with a 250 gr bullet, do I need a filler? If the case density is lower than 50% is it unsafe?
I hope to be making my 1st loads for this cartridge this weekend, and the only other high density powder I have is Trail Boss. Can I go 10 gr or lower with unique safely, without a filler? I can pick up some Dacron if I need to.

I use Unique (about 10 gr) in the .405 Winchester behind a 40-300 rcbs bullet.
To ensure consistent ignition AND CLEAN burning I use a 3/4" square of paper towel pushed 1/2 way between bullet and powder. Adjust for smaller case.

buggybuilder
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but would 10 gr. of Unique behind a Hoch 310 gr. breechseated bullet be safe?

MT Chambers
06-27-2013, 05:47 PM
My most accurate 38/55 loads use a case full of Swiss BP. and soft lead bullets, breach seated or fixed.