PDA

View Full Version : Goex, Swiss or Schuetzen Black Powder - preferences?

John Allen
04-18-2013, 10:28 PM
I have always used Goex as that is what was available locally. Does anyone have an opinion on either? I have to put an order in for some more.

Thanks John

semtav
04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Depends on what you are using it for. I had real good results with Goex in my 40-65 at lower speeds. I have real good results with Swiss in my LR loads. Some are having real good results with KIK

Don McDowell
04-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Started shooting Goex when it was still DuPont. Then the magazine rags were full of how great Curtis&Harvey was, got to shoot some , and it was over hyped according to my rifles. Then along came Elephant and it could be made to shoot accurate, but was filthy stuff. Tried some Swiss, found it not enough better than Goex for my needs to justify the expense. Tried some Schuetzen and once I figured out their 2f was about the same size as Goex 3f hit upon a good load in the 45-70 with it. Then got all hooked on Goex Express and Cartridge, then they went away, so migrated to KIK and it shoots great. Now have fumbled with the Olde Eynsford and find it interesting and if I can get some of the accuracy that it has shown a want to do, to repeat itself I'll be getting a case of it to play with. But plan to keep enough KIK on hand at all times to get thru at least the better half of a shooting season.
Forgot to add the only powder my 44-77 has shown an honest revultion for is Schuetzen 1f. gun said if I loaded anymore of that in it, it was just going to lay down and die...

NickSS
04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
I have used GOEX, GOEX Cartrdge, Shutzen, Swiss, KiK, and Elephant as well as some Chinese powder and some Pyrodex in my rifles. I have managed to get good accurate loads with all of them in various calibers. A lot of my friends are sold on Swiss and it is a nice powder but aside from higher velocities and a little less fouling I did not find it enough better to warrant the extra cost. If I was a better shooter maybe but my peak is long past so I have to settle for what works and everything I have tried works about like everything else for me. One more thing, I would not use pyrodex unless that is the only stuff you can get and even then I would rather use smokeless powder.

John Allen
04-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks All, I have always shot goex but might have to look at KIK. I was going to do a large order to cover me for a couple of years and figured I would ask before ordering my old standby goex.

John Boy
04-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I have to put an order in for some more.John, fast forward past the other powders ... Call Jerry Dean at Powder Inc. Order a split case of KIK and this new Olde E'. IMO, KIK FFg shoots better than the 1.5Fg grade (velocity & foul control), read the tests I did on KIK ... https://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0
This new Olde E' is getting good reviews from BPCR shooters that are starting to use it. Plus go over to the Shiloh forum or here and read the tests that I did on what's inside the cans

Don McDowell
04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
John you can always order a half case or so of your regular Goex, then have them fill the rest of the case with a can or two of the other brands. That way you have your known load to fall back on, but you also have plenty of other powders to try. That will give you trigger time and keep your eye and fingers sharp, and expand your shooting horizons along the way. Heck who knows you might find something in that process you like 10 times better than your regular powder. You might not find anything either, but the unopened cans of powder are always welcomed by shoot orginizers as prize donations...

cajun shooter
04-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Like many others here I started with Dupont and then Goex for many years. I shoot SASS matches for the most part and fool with BP LR when my health allows. About two years or so ago I tried KIK and it was so good I even preferred it over my beloved Goex Cartridge. Swiss is a good powder but you are paying for the name. If you do a search on KIK you will find some of our early postings on how well it performs. I have a ample supply of the 3910 lot.
Don McMcDowell gave you some good advice for buying your powder. Most of us use Powder Inc to purchase our BP. Jerry will let you mix different powders and grades for a case order. They have increased the price on KiK but it is still a best buy. I purchased my first order for about $10.65 a pound. Later David

M-Tecs
04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't know how much more of the 3910 lot Powder Inc has but the will be getting a new shipment and different lot next month.

John Allen
04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
John Boy, thanks I am going to order some of each to play with.

John, fast forward past the other powders ... Call Jerry Dean at Powder Inc. Order a split case of KIK and this new Olde E'. IMO, KIK FFg shoots better than the 1.5Fg grade (velocity & foul control), read the tests I did on KIK ... https://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0
This new Olde E' is getting good reviews from BPCR shooters that are starting to use it. Plus go over to the Shiloh forum or here and read the tests that I did on what's inside the cans

lkydvl
04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Try KIK

joec
04-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I have and use Goes, Kik, Swiss and Schuetzen all in FFg in both my 45 Colts and 45-70. They all work good however Swiss is probably the cleanest while Goex is the dirtiest of the bunch. I thankfully finish off the pound of Pyrodex RS a while ago and will never use it again.

bigted
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
I still have a couple containers of pyroshtuff and every once inna while I load some but as it shoots ok I really do regret using it when it comes to cleaning. my real bp cleans up with 3 patch's...2 ballistol and 1 dry...then oil and put away,,,...,,,the pyro takes a minimum of 5 patch's of ballistol and then several oiled patch's to get a complete clean patch...then I have to go back inna day to wallow thru several more patch's trying to get a clean one thru the bore...usually have to take butch's to the bore to get all outta there for a final cleanup...I don't get that but that is my experience...stuff shoots ok but boy I have not gotten the cleanup rite yet.

my cartridge...[I still have a few cans left]...cleans up so easy that after I do a pyro session I go back to my cartridge rifles that were shot with real bp to ensure that they are really clean and always smile when I run a patch thru their bore when it comes out sparkling clean except for the oil deposited on the patch which is also CLEAN!!!

I don't have any problem with the other aftermarket bp except for what it threatens to do to my rifles. I would rather do a ballistol cleanup instead of the harsher chemicals in my pristine black powder barrels. just my 2 cents worth.

I also cant wait to try the KIK as a replacement for the cartridge powder.

runfiverun
04-29-2013, 09:29 PM
I have been using the sheutzen powder that stuff shoots clean and is low smoke.
I rarely have any kind of powder fouling to contend with, it's more like a little grey ash.