PDA

View Full Version : My new piece, a Ruger SR9

Angus
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Having sold my only 9mm about a year ago I have found myself with something of a void in my life. I worked some OT and got to looking in a local classified. I spied this little number and called on it. It had been up for about 20 minutes and I bought it without even thinking about haggling on price. I picked it up yesterday along with 100 rounds of FMJs and took it to the range. It shot Remingtons very well, the WWB was horribly inconsistent.

Between the time I made the offer and picking it up yesterday I ordered some traction grip and a Ghost Ultimate trigger bar from Galloway Precision. The trigger was nothing of the gritty terrible thing I'd read about, but it is downright wonderful after making the swap. The traction grip is more for aesthetics to break up the OD, but it really does make a much better hold. I also removed the mag disconnect because it's a ludicrous idea. It came with two NY compliant 10 round magazines that I, of course, will never put more than 7 rounds into.

Now I just need to cast up some of my old reliable Lee 150-1rs and start banging away with it.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/DeathPenalty23/DSC_0782_zps182af17d.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/DeathPenalty23/media/DSC_0782_zps182af17d.jpg.html)

rintinglen
04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm very interested in your experience with this gun as I'm toying with buying one my ownself. I've handled them a couple of times, but never shot one. Please keep us posted.

Angus
04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
First range day was awesome. I can't wait to see how tight I can group with this new trigger and with the sights drifted where they need to be.

Kraschenbirn
04-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I've also been considering a Ruger 'SR' so please keep us updated as you continue to work with the piece.

Bill

revolvergeek
04-19-2013, 11:22 AM
I have been wondering about one of those myself, so I am eager to see how it works out for you.

Also, I am curious to read more about how you are loading those Lee 150 1Rs. Never thought about those for 9mmP reloading.

Angus
04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I passed on the 150s, but I used to load them under a starting load of titegroup for a 147gr condom. I'm going with the 125-RF since I had some casted and lubed already over 5.4 of power pistol. I'll send some down range tomorrow and see how they work.

35remington
04-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Interesting question........in the people's republic of New York, do they really expect you to only load 7 rounds in a ten round magazine? Especially if used for defensive purposes, say inside your home?

Sorry you have to put up with that nonsense. I wonder if they're going to limit the cops to 7 rounds in their 17 shot magazines since they don't have a justification for more ammo in their guns either? After all, nobody "needs" more than 7 rounds to defend themselves. Should apply to cops, too.

Angus
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Yes, I am expected to carry only 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. The cops were initially victim to the law, but an exemption was added as an amendment soon after its passage. There are several high profile suits working through the courts. I'm pretty hopeful it'll be going the way of the dinosaur. Every upstate county except Albany, Broome, and Tompkins have passed resolutions asking for the SAFE act to be repealed. On the bright side, I am sure there will be a LOT of freshman assemblymen and senators after the next election.

MtGun44
04-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Nice pistol. Sad, pathetic little magazines.
I am sorry about your fascist state law which blames inanimate objects
for crimes. :cry:

Bill

Angus
04-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I took it to the range with some 125-RFs over 5.4 of power pistol. It shot and cycles pretty well, seated so the crimp groove is completely exposed and sized to .358. I just cast up a bunch more, heading down to the bench to lube/size them in a bit.

rintinglen
04-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Is that the Lee 125 RF? I have that mold and have been working up 9mm loads with it.

boltons75
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Nice guns, I carry the sr40c, I also installed the ghost ultimate, makes a huge difference, just take your time while filing it to fit.

Angus
04-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Yea, the 358-125-rf mold from Lee. It's my favorite plinker in 38 special, and quickly becoming my favorite 9mm boolit.

Boltons75, I didn't have to do any fitting with mine. It dropped right in, and made for a MUCH nicer trigger.

jonp
04-23-2013, 04:41 AM
I had good luck with 4.2gr w231 and a 125gr boolit in a sr9

Sasquatch-1
04-23-2013, 07:37 AM
My daughter has the SR9C. It worked real well with factory ammo but when I tried running some reloads through it that were primed with CCI magnum primers it would not set them off. She returned the gun to Ruger and they replaced the firing pin assembly.

boltons75
04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Yea, the 358-125-rf mold from Lee. It's my favorite plinker in 38 special, and quickly becoming my favorite 9mm boolit.

Boltons75, I didn't have to do any fitting with mine. It dropped right in, and made for a MUCH nicer trigger.

My mistake, been awhile since I ordered mine, I got the rocket 3.5 lb, which requires fitting. It eliminates over travel also. The ultimate is a drop in.

Bodydoc447
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
I am new to the SR polymer family. I got one of the SR45 and it is amazing. The trigger was much, much better than I had anticipated. It seems to really like Mihec H&G 68 over Bullseye a lot. Just off the bat I got elbow rested, 2 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards which is really good for me. I think a SR9 might have to get a spaghetti sauce jar (how I save up $ for new guns).

Doc

Angus
04-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Mine had no issues with CCI SP primers, I haven't tried their magnums. The Federal magnums have always set off fine in my low-sprung S&W M60, so I shouldn't have a problem with the Ruger. If I do, I can just get a stiffer spring from Galloway, the same place I got my grip tape and Ghost bar.

Sasquatch-1
04-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Mine had no issues with CCI SP primers, I haven't tried their magnums. The Federal magnums have always set off fine in my low-sprung S&W M60, so I shouldn't have a problem with the Ruger. If I do, I can just get a stiffer spring from Galloway, the same place I got my grip tape and Ghost bar.

I think my daughter just had a weak or defective spring in it. When we got it back it seemed to be much better.

Potsy
04-25-2013, 09:01 AM
I've been tempted by the SR45.
The P series pistols never garnered a whole lot of respect around here. I was never wild about the way they felt, but I never shot one that didn't hit pretty close to where I thought I was pointing it.
My wife's old P-94DC .40 is a good shooter, if a little "top heavy" feeling and heavy in general.
Now that Ruger has worked in some far better ergronomics (did I spell that right?) I think they may really be on to something.
As far as magazines go; all I can tell you is, come to Tennessee! Where the state gov't doesn't really think it's any of it's business if a law abiding citizen crams a 50 round drum into the butt of his/her sidearm!!!

Angus
04-27-2013, 09:36 AM
So 250 rounds down the pipe so far with nary a hiccup. The gun is a bit jumpy but comes back down for the follow up very fast. Anyone considering getting an SR9, or any of the series most likely, would do well to pick one up.

My only gripe is that the barrel is ragged. I think I'll do my first fire lapping on it in a few weeks. Oh, and the slide release... I would much prefer a slide stop like my P89 that can be worked one handed. One can't get everything, I guess.

The accuracy is fair as it stands, although autos have never been my forte in the accuracy department. I can put 2 magazines into the middle of a paper plate in rapid succession from 15 yards. For a defensive pistol I think that is perfectly acceptable. When I slow down and take shots the way I do with my 357 I can group them at 2 1/2" from the same distance. A bullseye pistol it is not, but that was never the goal.

While the arched backstrap was very comfy from that start, I flipped it back to flat after adding the traction grip. The tape added just anough girth to keep me from getting a good bite on the grip. The filly adjustable sights are really nice to have, and so uncommon on a defensive pistol. With the myriad of loads I work through finding what feels right, it is noce having the option to adjust my sights to the load and not vice versa.

boltons75
04-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Look into the guide rod that galloway has, you can buy alternate spring weights, might help with the jump you mentioned.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/27/a3uzujyr.jpg

Here's my SR, I polished the take down pin also, don't like to hide stainless.

Angus
04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I think the jumpiness is just me settling back into an auto. It's been a couple year since I've shot one, having been in wheelgun land for a while.