PDA

View Full Version : These are zinkers ---and they don't say Zn either !!

Ohio Rusty
04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
The pic shows a few of the different size zinker WW's I picked out of my WW bucket. Most zinkers say Zn on them. These do not !! You can see a couple that were in my lead smelt and didn't melt yet. I got them out in time. They have that tell tale higher ridge that runs along the front/top of the wheelweight. The only markings on them is the gram weight. Another reason to be vigilant for zinkers !!
Ohio Rusty ><>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/zinkers_zps0550ed42.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/OhioRusty/media/zinkers_zps0550ed42.jpg.html)

bruce drake
04-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Another reason why I always nip the corners of my wheelweights with side-cut pliers. THere is a distinctive difference between the two when it comes to difficulty of marking a corner of the WW.

Defcon-One
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Those are the most common Zinc weights in my bucket. I see a lot of the 30s and 15s. I hand sort to get them out and always seem to miss one small one!

They do float before they melt and if you watch the temp closely, they won't melt at all, but that is risky.

They feel lighter for their size. They ring when dropped on the concrete floor and they are, like Bruce Drake said, harder to cut into if you can cut them at all.

plainsman456
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Anyone that cut a zinker with sidecutters,has one whale of a grip.

dbosman
04-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Thank you sir.
My opinion though, is that my nippers are sharper than yours.

Speaking of non-lead - I pulled a bunch of Fe marked floaters out of my smelting pot. Apparently they were plastic coated Fe, that I'd merely nipped the corner out of. My opinion of the inventor of that bit of .....design, is low.

dmclark523
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Yea no kidding. No matter how sharp your tool is, lead WW's cut like butter compared to the zinc.

OP, those must be pretty common in my area, because I have a lot of them as well in my reject pile.

Glock Junkie
04-18-2013, 08:14 PM
I myself am a Auto Tech so I deal with a lot of wheel weights and have sorted a lot of wheel weights. I have found that most non lead weights are more round in shape compared to lead weights that have a angle design to them. The only definite way to tell lead from non lead is but cutting them with side cutters. My hand has cramped up from test cutting wheel weights lol!

dbosman
04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I've decided that the solution for not sorting WWs is a PID.
How do I connect it to a fire?

Defcon-One
04-18-2013, 11:39 PM
How do I connect it to a fire?

It would require an expensive gas system, like in a water heater with a pilot light and all. Probably better to do an electric pot for a PID.

BACKTOSHOOTING
04-18-2013, 11:46 PM
[smilie=l:
How do I connect it to a fire

dbosman
04-19-2013, 01:50 PM
In any competition for lame jokes, I'm a viable participant.
BACKTOSHOOTING got the joke. ;-)

I've been accused of wry humor and why humor. Why as in why do I keep trying.

mold maker
04-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I guess not all comedians are funny. But we still listen to their material.

David2011
04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Guys, keep in mind that temp control to sort out zinc WW depends on already having a fluid base in the pot. If you get some zinc on the bottom and start melting, the zinc could be trapped and melt before the lead is all fluid and then the entire batch is ruined.

David

wrench man
04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Just more conformation for me to NOT fiddle with them itty bitty car weights!