PDA

View Full Version : Leveling the Lyman Spar-T

NVcurmudgeon
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Why Lyman saw fit to build the Spar-T with an approximate ten degree tilt away from the operator, will always be a mystery to me. Maybe it was designed to help sell the accessory shim block to correct the tilt. In the tilted position cases in the shellholder can move slightly, often requiring jiggling to allow the case to enter the die. If a powder measure with a sliding bar is used, the bar tends to move when the turret is moved, causing the operator to have doubts. In the years since I bought the Spar-T nary a Lyman shim has crossed my path.

A friend of mine knew a "friend of a friend" with very sophisticated tools who could handle the job, if I could design what I needed. Thanks to graph paper and a selection of drill bits for shim-shims I managed to make a crude model that made the Spar-T perfectly level. The FOAF made an elegant shim from walnut which is now a great upgrade to my loading bench. Life is easier with less case jiggling and no movement from the powder measure. The dimensions of the finished block are length 5", width 3 3/4", height at edge of bench 3/4", and height at the other end 1.65". Two holes or slots for the bolts will finish the job.

1hole
04-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Most presses from the '40s to about the mid '70s were tilted to make it easier to use when working on benches that were too low.

Dropped charges straight from a measure are inconsistant at best, mounting the measure on a jiggely press only makes it worse.