PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find.......

redhawk44
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
A source of cast .22 cal gas check bullets.

I had 100 of them (source unknown) and now I am out just as I got them to shooting well.

StarMetal
08-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Redhawk

Try Midway, Grafs, Mid South Shooters, or Widners.

Joe

carpetman
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Redhawk44---I take it you don't cast your own?????? Hmmmmm. Many here might tell you otherwise,but it really aint rocket science,or even as complicated as simple brain surgery. The RCBS 58 grain gas checked mold is a good one. You wont have to spend as much time scrounging wheel weights etc as some here do---you'll be getting 120.69 bullets per pound. Some shoot ballasts that only produce 12.727 per pound (they don't shoot groups of 12 though--their shoulder doesn't allow it). That darn .69 bullet will ofcourse be a flyer so limit your groups to 120 to keep them one holers. That .69 bullet will give you a ready built in excuse urr uhh reason for any errant shot you might make---you can say any shot you want was the .69 bullet and unless someone goes and tracks that bullet down they can't disprove your story.

45nut
08-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Bullshop is also a purveyer of cast .22's
There is a link below,,,

redhawk44
08-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Redhawk44---I take it you don't cast your own?????? .

Years ago, when I had more time than money, I used to cast bullets. It is an ancient and honorable passtime.

Now, at the age of 68 and with my money problems solved, I have more money than time. (not trying to brag here, but that is just the way it is)

Also since I don't want to get involved to the point of developing alloys, chilling proceedures, heat treatments etc, I am content to leave all of that to someone who enjoys that sort of thing. I just want to shoot someone's bullets in an old Savage 22 Hornet that is also about 68 years old.

I had about 100 cast bullets, lyman #225415, I think it is and they show promise. If I can buy more of them, I will shoot this old gun a lot more.

I have tried Midway and all the other sources of supply that I use for pistol bullets, but alas, to no avail, so I found this cast bullet forum and figgured you guys would know........

redhawk44
08-09-2005, 04:37 PM
OK, I found the web site for this bullshop guy and it looks very much like he can help me out on this.

Thanks for the help.

carpetman
08-10-2005, 03:30 AM
Redhawk44---Doesn't matter since you will not be casting,but the mold I mentioned would probably make too heavy a bullet for a Hornet.

Willbird
08-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Something else I remembered Redhawk44 is that North American Arms sells a SWAGED lead 22 bullet for use in their mini cap and ball revolvers, they may not be worth a hoot, and may be in fact .222 dia. But I always figuired that a swaged 22 bullet would be good.

Bill

redhawk44
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Something else I remembered Redhawk44 is that North American Arms sells a SWAGED lead 22 bullet for use in their mini cap and ball revolvers, they may not be worth a hoot, and may be in fact .222 dia. But I always figuired that a swaged 22 bullet would be good.

Bill

Do yhey indeed? That sounds interesting, I will check it out.

buck1
08-11-2005, 12:07 AM
If I needed some ,Bullshop would get my order! My .02 ....Buck

Buckshot
08-11-2005, 03:41 AM
............I have a buddy with a Win M54 in 22 Hornet. It may surprise you, or maybe you've even done this yourself, but he get really good results shooting pulled 22RF slugs and 22 cal pelletgun pellets. He harvests crows and sparrows in his suburban back yard with the pellet load.

For the 22RF boolits he'd been given a couple bricks of old 22LR that had set somewhere long enough, and hot enough for something to affect the priming (or something) as ignition was apparently problematic. I think he uses a tiny bit of the 22RF powder in the Hornet under those slugs. For the pellets it's like 1/2gr of Bullseye I believe.

..............Buckshot

redhawk44
08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
I made a connection with Bullshop and have some bullets on order.

Thanks to all for your interest.