PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1892 44 WCF outing.

missionary5155
04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Greetings
Each Tuesday I head to a mountain village for our weekly services. About halfway there is an open area just before a steep climb into the next valley. I normally stop there to drink some water and eat a tangerine. Usually I am on the Kawasaki KDX but yesterday I had the Suzuki "Sammy" as I was hauling some clothing up to the village also.
So at the "lunch break" I pulled out the 92 SRC #509xxx and fired off my 10 round ration for the month. The area is surrounded by high peaks and every shot could be heard echoing for a long time. It is basicly open desert so any visible rock can be engaged. I prefer rocks about 3-4 inches in diameter. My basic load is 8 grains Unique with a 220 Saeco 443... a 220 grain PB RFN that drops at .432. Shoots rather well in this fat throated old levergun. Lobbing a couple boolits out to 200 yards into a hillside covered with loose "beachsand" is very entertaining. Makes for a very enjoyable lunch break.
Mike in Peru

Reg
04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
AAhhhh, the roadside potshot !!!! Gotta be careful where you do it nowdays but it sounds like you are sure more than safe enough.
Only ten rounds a MONTH ??

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
look where he is.

mike.
I have pretty much settled on 8.5gr unique and the magma 200 rnfp swage bumped to just over 430 in mine.
I have to seat the boolit in my 45 colt seat die but it works great.

missionary5155
04-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Greetings
Have tried smaller diameters but the .432 shoots the best. Tried up to 10 grains Unique and settled on 8 as it is the most accurate with this boolit.
The place I was shooting is uninhabited and has never had a population. There is no water for miles. Only living matter is some very dried out cactus and scorpions.
Mike in Peru

runfiverun
04-18-2013, 10:45 PM
I hope your stuff up north is in good dry shape.
Chicago and it's surroundings is getting flooded, seems like it's your wet year.

missionary5155
04-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Good morning
Items of interest are in wheeled boxes in a basement of an old home built on top of a hill. Was designed as a defensive position many years ago. Thank fully never needed.
Why ten rounds a month. Well down here loaded ammo is very expensive to the tune of near $3 a round for 44 WCF. Needless to say I do not pay that. Primers are the tough one. I buy 45 ACP at $1 a round for the primer. Load the powder into my 38 specials. Keep the "J" thangs to bring back north along with the brass for future swap material.
Right now I am loading the last of my Unique or 3F BP which so far is still available.
Mike in Peru

KirkD
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Wow! That is expensive. It almost makes a fellow start thinking about making his own primers. I've bumped into a couple of fellows who do it just because, but it is a bit tedious work.

BCRider
04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Stripping down .45acp just for the primers? Now this is what I call dedicated! ! ! !

If I were faced with the same situation I think I'd likely just shoot a flintlock a lot more often.... :D