PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Section of a Boat Tail Punch

aaronraad
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Ever so slight misalignment of the projectile as I was pointing up. Lucky I ordered 6. Definitley hoping it was me and not the punch, or I've got five other duds waiting to fail.

Utah Shooter
04-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Uh oh! I wonder how a simple alignment issue with the projectile would cause this? Do you think the punch hit the die?

aaronraad
04-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Just a bit too quick on the ram and the didn't get the tail inside the punch. The boat tail is a nominal 7.8 deg so there isn't much meat to play with. They're pretty tight in the pointing die as well at 7.821mm diameter.

Second punch has survived so far.

Reload3006
04-18-2013, 07:01 AM
That is why both corbins went to rebated boat tails. not that they are better as Dave would have you believe but because they can make the punches stronger. both supposedly shoot equally well at long distances or there is negligible difference between the two when it comes to buffeting in transition from sonic to subsonic flight.

Smokin7mm
04-18-2013, 08:54 AM
I have 6.5mm & 7mm boattail dies and you do have to be careful as the punches come to a knife edge. I knicked one once, easy to do if you get out of rhythem or too quick on the handle. My dies are RCE and Richard doesn't do the standard BT anymore, only the rebated boattail. I have a couple of each punch but if I break these I guess I will have to find a friend with a lathe or ask Richard if he will make me another.

Bret

BT Sniper
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Ouch! Glad you got extras. Yep I would have thought that it would be the punch hitting the die but I too have found out the hard way that it is the base of the bullet that will cause problems when attempted to push the bullet into the die while it is out of alignment.

Good looking bullets, Swage On!

BT

Smokin7mm
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
What I have started doing is inserting the base of the bullet into the punch first then lowering it into the die. The top of the die is chamfered so it helps guide it in in the event everything is not perfect.
Bret