PDA

View Full Version : Every time I do this, I wonder why--HUNTING AGAIN

Ivantherussian03
09-02-2007, 04:06 AM
This does not happen often. Moose season opened today.

Every time I do this, I wonder why--HUNTING AGAIN

We sat through the light rain. We watched and called. The hours passed, the weather calmed. The meadow looked moosee to me, it was big, with grass, and water in the mddle. A 7 point bull popped out on the far side. I called and he made his way to the pond, still 250 yds. I called more and he would not come. I thought it must still be early for moose calls that get the fast response, another 15 days. We used the land to hide, a small rise we could walk and duck behind. 80 yards was it. My buddy and I fired, a 300 mag and 30.06, and the moose staggard. Two hits, the moose stood there and fell down. Hand shakes and high fives. It pretty rare to get a moose on the 1 st day.

Now for the work. This is when I wonder why:roll:

Onlymenotu
09-02-2007, 10:57 AM
he he yup all up to pull'n the trigger is the fun part.... then the work begins.... Congads on the opening day moose..... pic's?

RugerFan
09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow, good job! Got any pics?

Ivantherussian03
09-03-2007, 12:50 AM
We shot it at about 930 pm the previous night. We started cutting it up, but went when the darkness hit at 1030, we headed home.

We got back out there 11 am this morning. It actually went pretty fast, considering the 400 plus yd packing distance. At 330 pm we were done, with the moose in the boat. The most valuable piece of equipment today was a couple 5 dallor children snow sleds used to pull moose parts to the boat.

Then we got it up the house, got the meat hung, and cleaned some. It was basically 8 hrs works.

The moose it self was a brute, 10 pts in all. It was still in velvet. That is big even around here. I remembered why we hunt when I got home: family, and friends. The meat will feed our families, and our friends families. Everybody helps, and everyone come around to see your moose. Despite the bone crushing work, it is worth it!:-D It makes a guy feel content with to know his friends will help him, even if their is work involved.:drinks:

Right now, I am enjoying a dinner with those friends and family, and I am going to rest soon.
Every bone,and muscles hurts in my body. Thanks be to God; I dont have to work tomorrow!

Pictures to follow soon.

cartridge load data too

JDL
09-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Ivan, The same thing goes through my mind on my elk hunts, especially when I'm lucky? enough to have one on the ground. It's all fun up until this point, then it's all muscle numbing, joint stiffening work. Ahh, but I can't wait for another hunt! :-) -JDL

Scrounger
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Guys, solved that problem years ago. Hunt only varmints, shoot 'em, leave them for the hawks and coyotes, and home for a nice dinner and beer.

Ivantherussian03
09-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Wow, what a job. I am still cutting moose meat, but most of it is done. My freezer is full, and that is a good feeling. I am not even really sore. Hell, it looked like I knew what I was doing!!:-D :drinks:

I found my bullets in the shattered front leg and shoulder. Two of them, flatten out, blobs of metal. I will take some pictures and post; they are jacketed bullets. Sorry, no cast one. I am curious; what does a hunter want from his bullet. Do you want it to stay in tact, morphing into a misshapened blob, or breaking a part. What is ideal bullet performance for a big game hunter.

JDL
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice moose Ivan, thanks for sharing!
As to your question about bullets, I don't want mine to break up like a varmint bullet but, expand and penetrate both sides of the animal. I have heard that one which breaks up will (most times) give spectacular kills on smaller deer with broadside shots but, will sooner or later let you down. -JDL

MT Gianni
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Nice moose, Ivan. I want my bullets to have a nose expansion of 50%, stay together through at least medium bone and penetrate both sides. Gianni.

9.3X62AL
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Ditto to Gianni's post--for game animals. In J-words, I am very fond of the Nosler Partition design, ESPECIALLY in smaller caliber rifles on deer (243, 250 Savage).

I have settled on the 9.3 x 62/scoped and the Win 73/irons as this year's deer rifles for the local season, using cast boolits. I hope to have enough time to do some soft-point casting per Bruce B's method for both calibers prior to the opener. One of the S&W N-frames will go along, too--in 41 Mag or 44 Special with castings aboard.

Art's text has some merit, for sure. As I get older, the work involved in getting the deer out and getting him dressed gets no easier. Which reminds me--gotta get a skinning knife, using a folding hunter with regular point last year was a PITA.

Ivantherussian03
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I just measured my horns. 41 inches wide, which is amazingly small width considered it was a triple tined monster.

NSP64
09-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Great shooting!! you want your bullets to do just like they did, drop your game quick.:drinks: