PDA

View Full Version : The official Cast Boolits hillbilly rifle rest!

Jim
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I like to shoot one of my 22s in the afternoons out on my little 50 yard range. I got tired of hauling my Caldwell Lead Sled out there, so I built a hillbilly rifle rest.

It's got four heights and is suitable for right or wrong handed shooters. I can leave it out there 24/7 and not have to worry about haulin' anything out there except my narrow butt, a rifle and a pocket full of 22s.

Call now! Operators are standing by! And you get to keep your old phone number!

historicfirearms
04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
That's a great idea. I'm gonna build something like that for my backyard range too.

wvmanchu
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Love it, we have a bench at the cabin but hauling the lead sled back and froth is a PIA. Can you give me some dimensions.

Smitty's Retired
04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
That is very nicely thought out. Do you guarantee it not to rust, bust, collect dust or eat small children?

Jim
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Love it, we have a bench at the cabin but hauling the lead sled back and froth is a PIA. Can you give me some dimensions.

I'll draw it up and post it.

jeepyj
04-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Nice idea. Thank you for sharing. I love to keep the wheels turning with new ideas to enhance the hobby.
Jeepyj

JeffinNZ
04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Is there a sweetener on the deal? How about a free set of steak knives? :-)

kodiak1
04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Is this one of those WE CAN'T DO THIS ALL DAY SO THE FIRST 50 WE WILL DOUBLE YOUR ORDER?
That is a great idea and so simple.

Ken.

Love Life
04-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Great idea and very well thought out!!! I would like one (as long as you can promis that it doesn't eat small children).

LatheRunner
04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Nice! Is the rifle included.

Jim
04-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Is there a sweetener on the deal? How about a free set of steak knives? :-)

Hey, no problem!! If you'll give me your address, I'll hand deliver it! :bigsmyl2:

**oneshot**
04-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Nifty idea! I now know where Janet's shelves went to. I wont tell her though.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I thought it was going to be an old milk can. You just shove the lid down more or less to get your elevation.

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
looks like a righty and the other 16% could both use it at the same time.

Jim
04-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Nifty idea! I now know where Janet's shelves went to. I wont tell her though.

OH, thanks for blowin' my cover there, buddy! [smilie=b: Like promisin' you won't tell her is gonna do any good! She signs on every evenin' and reads all the posts! :groner:

:kidding:

scottiemom
04-17-2013, 08:11 PM
now I understand why I only got 5 shelves instead of the promised 6. Well, we all know what they say about payback.....:shock:

Wayne Smith
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Naah, way to nice to be hillbilly. That's got to be some contraption of unpeeled sticks, at least one with leaves hanging off!

Good idea, though, Jim. Got to cut those half through cuts close, though, or it won't be stable.

Circuit Rider
04-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Jim, Just read post #16. You better keep a close eye on what there is of your skinny backside! CR

Ed Barrett
04-17-2013, 08:37 PM
If you set targets in four different directions, you could have four shooters use it at the same time.

oneokie
04-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Great idea and very well thought out!!! I would like one (as long as you can promis that it doesn't eat small children).

I would be more concerned about small children eating the rest unless they are very well fed.

Jim
04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
now I understand why I only got 5 shelves instead of the promised 6. Well, we all know what they say about payback.....:shock:

.....and I said "But Janet, it's just a short piece of a left over board!"

williamwaco
04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
BUT WAIT ! ! !

If I call right now will you double the offer ( pay shipping twice )?

xs11jack
04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I was surely hopin' for a toaster oven, like the banks usta give out for us givin' them gobs of money. And colors, sky blue pink would be nice!
Jack

BSalty
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
That is great. I have a pressure treated board that just may grow into that. Thanks!

TXGunNut
04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
I like it. I saw a big block made of glued together ground up tires and recently and tried it. Same idea with varied elevations. Seems only right to shoot recycled WW's over recycled tires.

429421Cowboy
04-17-2013, 11:48 PM
If thats what the hillbillies in your area use i think you have a higher class of folk, more what i would term "Mountain Williams"!:kidding:

That is a very neat rest though Jim, i wouldn't have thought to put varied elevations on each side!
I don't think she can stay too mad at you for that, but you may have to share! Heck, are you two opposite handed? Might have to change it from the "Hillbilly Rest" to the "His 'n Hers"!

Idaho Mule
04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Very nice Jim, well thought out and built. Now, gimme back my 22, and how did you get in my safe?? JW

smoked turkey
04-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Jim in order to be in step with other ads I think you should also add "not sold in stores". On second thought you might want to market this.

GaryN
04-18-2013, 12:40 AM
What about the ginsu fishing knife and the smokeless ashtray?

Jim
04-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Y'all are terrible, ya' know that? Toaster ovens in deco spa colors and smokeless ash trays......Jeeesh! :groner:

Weather forecast is predicting a beautiful day here today.[smilie=w: One of my plans is to disassemble the rest, measure it, draw it up and photograph it. I'll try hard to get all that done and posted by supper time.

Later, guys! [smilie=s:

linotype
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Clever, very clever.
I'd be careful about direct sales. With lawyers and produce liability all wonky out there, a bad splinter could bankrupt the Floyd Corporation. ;)

shdwlkr
04-18-2013, 09:19 AM
All right Jim its Later and no pictures or drawings
Did Janet make you replace that missing shelf? Did you end up in the wood shed and have to make Janet a nice switch so you stay in line?
By the way I noticed you commented on the cheap 22 LR ammo that is currently available, here in Boise there is this place that has a brick for $90 and its seems he sells a few and has most still on the shelf.

runfiverun
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
how's about a DE-Luxe version with some pipe insulation foam stuff glued over the edges of the wood.

Jim
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I wrote up an article on the rest (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/a-hillbilly-rifle-rest/)on my site and assigned it a page.

shdwlkr
04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
A nice drawing but how wide is the slot and how deep is the slot some might be interested in these two dimensions
Nice idea though

DeanWinchester
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Very clever my friend.

Btw, will this thing make Julian Fries, chop nuts and get cat hair off the couch????

tward
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Great project Jim, thanks for going the extra mile and posting dimensions. Like so many others on this forum the extra mile is the normal, proud to be a member! Tim

Ed Barrett
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
You could also have a "tactikool" version in camo for three times the price. It will appeal to a group shooters seen at some ranges.

repawn
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the write up and plans. I want to use it with my favorite tacticool rifle, my Wards Western Field .22.

Ohio Rusty
04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
What is really cool is 4 guys can shoot all at the same time !! <bg>
Ohio Rusty ><>

Jim
04-18-2013, 09:08 PM
A nice drawing but how wide is the slot and how deep is the slot some might be interested in these two dimensions
Nice idea though

It's very close to 3/4", the thickness of the board I used. I established the center, laid a section of the same material over the centerline and traced on each side. I cut inside the lines and then trim cut until I got a tight fit. The depth of the cut needs to be 1/2 the width of the board and another 1/8" or so. That will allow you to precisely fit one piece in the other.

TXGunNut
04-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Looks like exact dimensions are just a good starting point. Will be dependent on site conditions and dimensions of the boards. I'm thinking a package of door shims will cure the wobbles and compensate for atmospheric conditions.

Wayne Smith
04-19-2013, 07:48 AM
If you use dry wood, cut tight and knock them together you will never have "wobblies" unless you move to the desert! You may split the wood, but you won't have wobblies. Dry wood absorbs moisture and expands. This locks the pieces together.

shdwlkr
04-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Jim
thanks now when I get to my new digs I hope to have space to make me one

It's very close to 3/4", the thickness of the board I used. I established the center, laid a section of the same material over the centerline and traced on each side. I cut inside the lines and then trim cut until I got a tight fit. The depth of the cut needs to be 1/2 the width of the board and another 1/8" or so. That will allow you to precisely fit one piece in the other.

Jim
04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Looks like exact dimensions are just a good starting point. Will be dependent on site conditions and dimensions of the boards. I'm thinking a package of door shims will cure the wobbles and compensate for atmospheric conditions.

As I wrote in the article on my site, there's nothing in stone that says my dimensions are absolute. You can build this thing just about any ol' size and shape you want.

I didn't give this thing a lot of thought. I just went out on the deck, set up and started marking and cutting. As for dealing with wobble, I laid an old shipping blanket across my table and that solved the problem.

I put this rest to what I consider the ultimate test yesterday. I had a bunch of test stuff loaded that I wanted to shoot, so I decided to try the rest to see if it was stable enough for pinpoint aiming. Not only did I find that it worked very well for me in that regard, I found it much easier to use and a lot more comfortable that the Caldwell Lead Sled I had been using.

To minimize movement as much as possible, I laid a folded shop towel across the slot for the stock to rest on. Simple application, worked perfectly and nothing left outside to absorb water from being rained on.

41 mag fan
04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I didn't give this thing a lot of thought. I just went out on the deck, set up and started marking and cutting.

And hear everyone thought it was Janets promised shelfs Jim used as lumber.....instead it is a "watch that first and second step it's a doozy! Recycling the deck to make his toys!!!

When I first read the title, I thought we'd see a coon dog laying down with a gun across his back being used as a rest....the hillbilly way!!

Wayne Smith
04-19-2013, 12:20 PM
When I first read the title, I thought we'd see a coon dog laying down with a gun across his back being used as a rest....the hillbilly way!!

Naah, even hillbillies know that dogs breathe and can't be taught to hold their breath!