PDA

View Full Version : .256 Winchester Magnum.

WILCO
04-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Anyone working with this cartridge? I know it's an obsolete chambering, but I suddenly find myself interested in it and would like to know if folks are using it in the world of cast boolits.

Artful
04-17-2013, 11:27 PM
I did in the distant past - borrowed a Flat point GC mold (ideal? or Lyman?) and made some up for T/C barrel I have - it didn't do as well as I liked compared to Speer's little J-words so I sort of gave up on the project.

Nobade
04-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Same thing here - I messed with a couple of TC barrels in the past and never got it to shoot boolits very well. As produced, the throat design is not very good for boolit accuracy. Too short and sharp. I do believe if a custom reamer were made with boolits in mind it could be made to work very well but you would have to build it yourself. I still have visions of a Martini cadet built up in that caliber but unless I find an incredibly cheap one to start with I doubt it will ever happen.

Oh, if you do get into the 256 you'll need a set of form dies to make the cases. I had a 4 die set from Hornady that worked quite well. Use plain brass, not nickle plated to make your cases. Or fireform 22 Jet cases in your chamber.

-Nobade

dakota
04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I have a Model 92 Winchester that has been rebarrelled by my dad when the 256 came out. (The old barrel was hevily pitted) The rifle shoots very well with factory ammo - I never have been able to quite match the accuracy with handloads. Mostly lack of bullets I think. I use the 60 grain Hornady bullets the most for jacketed. When I has a TC barrel in 256 I used a 75 grain HP. I have an old 25 caliber mould - hollow point GC. That mould probably hasn't been made in a long time dad passed it on to me with the rifle when he died in the 70's. I would prefer a fp to the hp bullet though. The HP is slower and I get more rejects than normal casting for me .

WILCO
04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Don't know how far I'm going to go with this, but I'm having great fun doing the research on this cartridge. Takes my mind off current events.

rockrat
04-19-2013, 04:41 PM
How about a 256 max, using a 357 max case instead of a 357 mag case?

M-Tecs
04-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Case forming is a real PITA.

Rafe Covington
04-19-2013, 06:24 PM
I have a 14 in and a 21 inch TC barrel in 256 Win Mag, I shoot the Horn. 75 gr bullet in both barrels. Both barrels are very accurate, have killed a deer with the 21 in barrel.

As for making the brass it is only a pain in the *** if you are too cheap to buy the set of case forming dies. I have never lost a 357 case since I bought the set of case forming dies [Redding]. It is an obsolete cartridge but to me its fun to shoot, accurate and the cases to make the 256 are readily available. JMHO

Rafe

swheeler
04-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Rafe you still down Wind River ways, Crossfire trail?

M-Tecs
04-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Rafe’s experience with the 256 is much more current and hands on than mine.

My uncle has a Marlin model 62 Levermatic .256 Winchester. He still has it but he hasn’t shot it since the Mid 80’s do to case forming issues. I believe his forming and reloading dies are mid 70’s C-H Tool & Dies. I know he did not anneal his brass.

I don’t know if his problems were due to a die problem or a technique issue but he is a very knowledgeable reloaded.

Next time I see him I will suggest the Redding form dies.

Rafe do you anneal before forming?

good info here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?49913-Marlin-62-Levermatic-256-Winchester

Bad Shot
04-20-2013, 02:15 AM
I have .256 win mag,I use 221 brass.Trim case to spec`s,chamfer neck,lube and slide in a sizing die(256 good) set sholder long on about 5 to start.TC HEAD SPACES ON SHOLDER! USE a 222 extractor od a puller (mickey mouse). set SHOLDER 1/8 turn in .Till TC just closes( then fire trig ) NO PRIMER!! after that prim and fire primer only to CC if firing pin hits> TC has a safety on the pin .try 2or 3 to make sure.Then u can sipe the rest through. I ues a 256420 65 to68 my slugs are at gc/or out and a mid range power for mine. YES it is kind of a pain BUT better than using 357 brass.221 is better neck is started . Good Luck Don

Rafe Covington
04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Rafe’s experience with the 256 is much more current and hands on than mine.

My uncle has a Marlin model 62 Levermatic .256 Winchester. He still has it but he hasn’t shot it since the Mid 80’s do to case forming issues. I believe his forming and reloading dies are mid 70’s C-H Tool & Dies. I know he did not anneal his brass.

I don’t know if his problems were due to a die problem or a technique issue but he is a very knowledgeable reloaded.

Next time I see him I will suggest the Redding form dies.

Rafe do you anneal before forming?

good info here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?49913-Marlin-62-Levermatic-256-Winchester

I have never annealed any 357 cases I was goin to convert to 256,I haven't because I haven't needed to so far, been using Starline brass.

Rafe

Rafe Covington
04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Rafe you still down Wind River ways, Crossfire trail?

I had to clear out down that way, the area got a little warm for me if you know what I mean.[smilie=l:

Rafe

walkswithsticks
04-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Someone told me to use a 30 Mauser sizer die as an intermediate step then run through the 256 sizer die. It worked fine.

I shoot a 85 gr Boolit in front of Unique and Trailboss out of a 10 inch Contender barrel. It is great for a plinker. My eyes are too old to tell if it is a target shooter, but it sure is a fun cartridge to play with

I do hit the bowling pin at 200 yards enough to keep me interested.

Bill