PDA

View Full Version : Sad day at our home

dk17hmr
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Family and I decided to put down my dog, we got Harley when I turned 7, I will be 21 here next month. Almost 14 years of protecting the family from the evil garbage truck that comes and steals whatever is in that green can at the end of the driveway every Monday morning, to watchin over the neighbors and running next sleds being pulled by the quads those many many miles in the winter when I was little. Harley was a golden lab/ golden retriever gun shy from day one, faithful member of the family to the end. His back hips were going out and he would fall down the stairs, and cry at the bottom of the stairs because he couldnt walk up them anymore.

Harley was starting to go blind and couldnt hear very good anymore. So my brother took him for a ride to see the vet last week, I wasnt home, was in Alabama working, or I would have taken him. Harley was to good of a dog to let him suffer anymore.

He is out back resting now.

45nut
09-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Good dogs are missed many times Doug, you both shared more than anyone could write in a few words but it shows anyway.
We should all aspire to be the Men our Dogs believe us to be.

R.I.P. Harley.

NVcurmudgeon
09-02-2007, 12:38 AM
We put our beloved 15 year old Cockapoo, Bo, down this April. My wife and I are open to getting another dog, but not right now. Like Harley, Bo protected us from maurading garbage men and postmen faithfully for his whole life. He would hurl himself aganst the front door if he heard or scented a coyote, and growled the neighbors three big dogs back where they belonged. He slept at the foot of our bed, with weapons and sensors deployed along the threat axis. Our condolences, we know.

MT Gianni
09-02-2007, 01:12 AM
My condolences also Doug. They really are a part of the family. Gianni.

Jim
09-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Doug, man, I'm sorry. I've had to do that more than once and it ain't no fun. Remember him for what he was; one o' the best dogs to ever put feet on this planet.

Bret4207
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear it. I have a Lab with bad hips, bladder, bowel, ears, eyes that I have to put down. Then we'll be down to 9, yes NINE, dogs.

JeffinNZ
09-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear that. I had to put down my fat tabby cat Murphy on Saturday after his chronic asthma just became too much. Even though he had a cat's body he was pretty adamant he was NOT a cat. Not sure what he thought he was though but he had real attitude. Anyways, broke my heart and my soon to be 3 year old daughter is just getting her head round it.

Lucky we still have Griffin the ginger/white cat and Bella the 'mad' black labrador.

twotoescharlie
09-04-2007, 08:40 AM
really sorry to hear this, I had to put down my best friend and companian in January of this year. It never gets easy and nothing will fill the void in your heart. you're young, after a while get another pup and start over,It really helps, but nothing can replace the old feller. just remember the good times you had together.

respectfully
TTC

Ranch Dog
09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Doug,

I hate hearing about the loss of Harley.

fatnhappy
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Harley, Doug.

C A Plater
09-04-2007, 09:10 PM
It's hard to fill the spot left by the passing of a good dog. Old Harley will live on in your memories.

JudgeBAC
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Losing a faithful pet is just like losing a member of the family. The following is attributed to Senator Graham Vest and it says it all about faithful dogs.

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

armoredman
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
dk17hmr , my deepest sympathies. We had to send one of our loved pups to the Rainbow Bridge recently, too, so I know how you feel.
JudgeBAC, that was outstanding, thank you for sharing that.

BorderBrewer
09-05-2007, 11:53 AM
dk17hmr, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I had a Bluetick Hound/Australian Shepherd mutt for 18 years. I had to put her down when I was 30. I'm 47 now, and she still visits me in my dreams. I know that Harley will live on in your memories and dreams as well.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

dk17hmr
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Thank you all, for the kind words.

Harley was getting old and we all new it was coming instead of drawing it out we did what was needed, and put the faithful dog out of his pain.

He was 1 of 4, 3 dogs and a cat that thinks like he is a dog. In October when my big brother moves to Florida he will be taking his pup and it will only be Buddy my little mut that thinks he is a rabbit dog, and Kat, the cat.

3006guns
09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I think we all go through this pain at sometime in our lives. There's an old saying: God created man...and felt sorry for him. So he gave him the dog...

borderman
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread. Until yesterday we had four border collies. Annabelle was put to sleep yesterday after suffering a series of seizures brought on by kidney failure. This is hard for me to write but I feel the need to warn others. Annabelle was 8 years old, she and Holly, our 13 year old both have/had kidney failure simultaneously. Holly's is not as bad but she will always require Lactated Ringer's treatments (fluid injected into her neck) to supplement her failing kidneys. Kidney failure is uncommon in dogs, especially Annie's age. To have two dogs with kidney failure is too much of a coincidence. What do they have in common? All my dogs love turkey jerky and got it as a daily treat. Made in China of course. Don't know if you are familiar with the melamine laced Chinese grain imported by pet food companies but it was/is a terrible problem. Well the speculation is that after the red flag was raised the grain was fed to animals, especially fowl and jerky made and then imported. Wal-Mart and Sam's Club have voluntarily ceased selling all jerky treats made in China. Of course I cannot prove my supposition but I urge every pet owner to cease feeding their pet any food made in China. The two other collies have been tested and are okay but this misery is needless, purely the result of greed.

pumpguy
09-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I had to put my lab down a couple of years ago. One of the hardest things I have ever done. Give it time and try to understand that people will have a hard time understanding your mourning for, "just a dog." They just don't get it.