PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Never used Gas checks before

lts70
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I am going to start using cast for my .308 and .223 rifles. All I have done in the past is use cast boolits in my pistol reloading. I have never used a gas check so I hoped I could get some advice from you guys. The molds I am going to use are:

Here is a link to the NOE mold I plan on using for .223 (RCBS 22-055-SP 55GR FN)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?178516-NOE-22-055-FN-GC-RERUN-Any-interest

The .308 mold I am going to use is a169gr spritzer.

Can I make my own gas checks out of pop cans for these? if not where should I get the brass cups?

Basicaly I know jack squat about using cast boolits in riffles nor anything on gas checks. What are my options?

mikemc
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I have the same questions so I am going to tag a long on this thread.
Mike

lead chucker
04-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Hi. I have gotten hornady gas checks from midway USA. I have had good luck with them and they stay on. I use the push through lee sizer. I have been making my own with aluminum flashing and using the free checks II system. They work good and I have had good accuracy with them. I have been having some of them come off in flight on my 308 win. I've just started making them for my 223 but have not tested them yet. Last weekend I shot a 3/4 inch groop at 57 yards and around 2100 fps. I was pleased with that. That's with my 223 H&R handy rifle.

lead chucker
04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I think pop cans are too thin. I thought about trying it but guys on here were using that .015 aluminum flashing. I have been heating my material with a torch and that takes all the spring out of it. You don't want any spring otherwise the checks will fall off easier, at least that's been my experience.

RickinTN
04-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Copper checks from Hornady, or from "Blammer" on this sight. I've used both. Install with a Lee push through sizer or your Lyman or RCBS lubesizer. Blammer's checks can be purchased through the "group buy login" at the bottom of any page on this forum.

lts70
04-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I sent Blammer a PM but have not heard back from him

Jeffrey
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
When using a LEE style push through sizing die to seat gas checks make sure you use the ram to push the boolit ALL THE WAY through the sizing portion of the die. If you just get it started and use the next boolit to finish pushing the one above it through, the nose portion of the second boolit seems to indent the gas check, destroying the 'crimp on' and the check falls off. Fortunately I did not have too many of these happen before I caught it. J

WILCO
04-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Can I make my own gas checks out of pop cans for these? if not where should I get the brass cups?

Basicaly I know jack squat about using cast boolits in riffles nor anything on gas checks. What are my options?

Read the stickies in this section regarding gas checks. Also get the Lyman cast boolit manual as it covers gas checks and their usage. Hornady makes gas checks. Purchase the one for your caliber. This thread shows how I make mine:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83357-Disk-Maker-GC-Forming-Die-and-GC-Trimmer

338RemUltraMag
04-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I can get you the 30 cal aluminum checks, they run 18/K shipped, and will work just like the copper checks. Drop me a PM and I will answer any questions you have.