PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Been to the Dr. lately? They Ask if You Have Guns

Silver Jack Hammer
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I've had several people recently tell me they went to the Dr. for matters that could not be interpreted as emotional, such as routine annual female check ups or a blood test, and been asked if they have guns at home and if they are depressed. Although their symptoms do not correlate to depression in any possible way, I've had people tell me they felt as if the Dr.'s office was trying to talk them into saying they were depressed and that they had guns in the home.

We need a come back for this. How about the last election results left us all depressed, but I'm still an American and I'm free. Proof that I am free is that I own guns.

scattershot
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
...just say no.

fixit
04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
ask them how many sex toys they have at home...with a 'really....are you really asking this question' look on your face!!:-?:evil::veryconfu

Char-Gar
04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
They also ask how man sex partners you have had in the past three years. My reply was "not enough".

pietro
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM

I have about 6 different Doctors, who treat me for various maladies, that I've seen this Spring (every few months, actually), and only one of them have asked me, or my wife, any such question - my GP, who asks routinely if I've been experiencing any depression, along with the questions regarding "pain today", "regularity", etc. (IOW, what I considered completely normal)
Not one word about firearms/guns.

I HAVE heard that some Doctors are doing so, however - and presume them to be members of the Doctors For America . org : http://act.drsforamerica.org/sign/gun_safety_petition/#.UW69bkpTYqQ

M-Tecs
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
My health maintenance group doctors were asking these questions a couple of years ago. I politely told them to FO and it was a waste of both their and my time. They don’t ask me anymore.

ReloaderFred
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
My doctor is a shooter and we talk guns every time we see each other. Last time, he asked for advice on working up a load for his brother's new .44 Magnum. His two daughters were junior smallbore champions, so I don't have a problem discussing guns with him. If other doctors ask, I simply ask, "what do you want to know for?" If they say it's routine, then I just tell them my routine answer is it doesn't concern them. End of discussion.

Hope this helps.

Fred

justing
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
i am waiting for one to ask me.

felix
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
No, it is not routine. If they get an answer, they get paid for the answer. Otherwise, they get docked a percentage of their pay from that patient's federal regulated insurance. Know this for a FACT, and it is starting this year for next year's policies. ... felix

Love Life
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
They ask this question when going to the base hospital for certain things. When they asked me, I asked the Corpsman "What is your mom's phone number?"

Lie and give BS answers. Well, until they make it a crime to lie and give BS answers.

Bulltipper
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Give 'em the standard issue gov'ment answer..."I can neither confirm nor deny that information"

doctorggg
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I went to my sleep disorder center today. since it has been 3 years I had to fill out new paperwork. No gun questions yet. But the form had 2 questions about suicide and of course the depression one. Does that have anything to do with using a cpap machine????

9.3X62AL
04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
No such questions yet. My sitch might differ, though--being a former lawdog, the docs might assume I have a couple lying around, and let it go. If the queries do come, an answer like that by Love Life or Reloader Fred will likely result.

km101
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
None of the doctors that I have seen this year (3) has asked me about firearms. I'm feelin' kinda' left out! If they ever do, then I will simply say NO, with no discussion or amplification. It's not any of their business.

Char-Gar
04-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I got a call from my primary care physicians office about 7 or 8 months ago and was asked to come it, at no charge, to answer some questions that were being asked of all Medicare patients. I was told that the Medicare folks were putting together some statistics.

I was asked, among other thing, if I had guns in the house? I said yes.
I was asked if there were minor children in the house and if so were the guns secured to they could not get to them. I said there were no minor children and the guns were secure anyway.

The rest of the questions were medical questions. I answer them all truthfully and there were no problems of any kind. In their way of thinking, the gun question was a medical question about the health risks associated with having guns around the house.

I was not bothered by the questions, but then again, words don't often bother me. If words turn into actions, then my attention get pretty acute.

scattershot
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
But comrade, you will be on the list when Big Brother comes to get our guns.

opos
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
NO..it's a complete sentence and nothing can be implied or drawn from it.

2wheelDuke
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Last time I was treated by a doctor, I was in full police uniform to get a couple stitches in my hand. They didn't bother with any gun questions, I already had a .45 on my hip.

I work side work at that hospital, one doctor has a Kimber 1911, another has a Desert Eagle in .50ae, and another doc's husband is a C&R guy and she has no idea how many old commie guns he has. I'm not sure if they ask any gun questions or not.

Rick N Bama
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
I've never been asked about guns, but when I was admited to the local Hospital several years ago I was asked if I felt threatened. My answer was "By you or by this problem" They didn't ask again.

Rick

quack1
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Before my wife died last September we came in contact with a bunch of different doctors in several different hospitals and had to fill out dozens of forms and questions. None of them asked anything about guns. Wasn't surprised the local hospital didn't ask, but two hospitals and a bunch of doctors in Pittsburgh never asked either. Kind of surprised me. Our family doctor has guns and shoots a good bit and has known we had guns for years, so has never had to ask. Only question he has ever asked about guns is: have I shot anything new or interesting lately. A few times we have got to talking about guns for enough time that his nurse has come in to remind him he has other patients waiting.

kmag
04-17-2013, 08:16 PM
If you should have a medical provider ask you this question tell them they do not have the authority to ask. Tell them to look at sect. 2717 of the Affordable Care Act ( obummer care). The info is in the in the Wellness and Prevention Programs. It states that it may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to... the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence, or on the property of an individual: or the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
Most people and darn few of our elected officials have read this Act, it is well over 2,000 pages and the biggest bunch of gobblygook I have ever tried to read.

MGySgt
04-17-2013, 09:55 PM
My Dr's don't have to ask, my CCW is on my hip under my shirt and they have all seen it. I did shake up one of his PA's when she was trying to put the stethoscope on my heart and she pulled up my shirt - She looked at it for about 2 seconds and said - I feel safer now!.

My GP had a laugh about it when I told him.

DougGuy
04-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Well, what are they going to do with this information in the first place, and then any physician who volunteers that information to anyone without a written consent on file, is in violation of both his oath and my/your rights am I correct?

When they talk about background checks, and preventing guns from being sold to individuals who are mentally unstable or are currently or have been previously a registered patient at a mental hospital, the question in my mind, isn't there a gray area of patients who are on some pretty serious meds but not committed by themselves or a court to an institution? How do they fit into the grand scheme of restricting things?

Jeff H
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I have not been asked that one yet but I have been asked for my driver's license at the hospital and at the GP's office within the past year. They don't want to just SEE it, they want to SCAN it!

In all cases I refused. They offered so many conflicting BS reasons that it was ridiculous. They still don't have a copy of my driver's license and won't.

This may be specific to whatever big medical provider that has absorbed the little hospital and doctor's office that is near me but I woiuld not be surprised if it spread.

alamogunr
04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Never been asked the question. I do have short conversations with my GP after he finishes with his routine exam. He is a duck hunter. I don't know if he shoots recreationally(sp?) or not but he is always interested in my reloading and casting activities.

I have an appointment next month. I may ask him if he has ever been approached to gather information about gun ownership.

375supermag
04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
I went through a quite serious health issue last year to include a diagnosis of terminal cancer (since rescinded), two extremely serious surgeries, radiation treatments and a CVA and I don't recall any doctor, surgeon or therapist asking me if I owned any firearms.

I did volunteer the information when I asked my radiation oncologist if I was physically capable of withstanding the recoil of a rifle or shotgun.. he wanted to know how much and I said somewhere around 20-ft lbs and he said I should be OK.

Nothing else has been asked and/or revealed. My PCP knows that I shoot and reload, because I had to explain why I wanted my blood lead levels checked several years ago.

khmer6
04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I had to take off my g20 when the doc told me to drop my pants, does that count?

ebner glocken
04-18-2013, 10:25 PM
I had to take off my g20 when the doc told me to drop my pants, does that count?

I couldn't help but laugh at that! I dropped my pants and there was a G19 in my belt. The Dr. looked down and asked "is that loaded?" I about died laughing at that moment......then it hit him what he just said. We both had a good chuckle.

Go give blood if you want some really personal questions. If they didn't have a clipboard in their hand I would swear they was comming on to me.

Ebner

jrayborn
04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
I haven't been to the Doc for almost ten years. Stopped in to have something looked at and had to fill out all the paperwork again. Said "NO" to do I have firearms in the home, and got a funny look when in addition to the "normal" round of bloodwork I asked for a lead test :)

Doc asked why and I said indoor range. Oh well.

gunfan
04-18-2013, 11:48 PM
This gets a "noneya" reply. (Noneya darned business!) ;)

Scott

Silver Jack Hammer
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Wonder if they asked the guy who came into the hospital yesterday with an "I'm so stupid because..." hole in his leg. He bought a new pistol at the store, ran a few errands, then had a few minutes to wait in his car and decided to check out his new pistol. One thing leg to another and -oops! They patched him up and sent him home.

prs
04-19-2013, 10:35 PM
36 years in practice and I have asked the fire arms question of many thousands of patients without ever having been refused an answer. The answer is almost always "yes", although many patients confess they rarely, if ever, shoot. A significant portion of my patient population is depressed, makes no difference to me regarding the fire arms question. It is a very large part of my professional duty to help my patients preserve their hearing. Ears, balance, and hearing are my concern.

I also REQUIRE an original official government photo ID to copy for the chart, almost always the driver's license, how else can I know and prove the pt is who they claim to be rather than one defrauding the system. We do occasionally catch some one impersonating another on pre-employment exams or comp exams.

Regarding obama care or other tyrannical government demands one way or the other restricting my First Amendment rights, I choose to follow the Constitution and ask or not ask as I see best for my patient's care.

prs

GLynn41
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
wnet for refills Wednesday nothing aobut guns

Jeff H
04-20-2013, 12:42 AM
36 years in practice and I have asked the fire arms question of many thousands of patients without ever having been refused an answer. The answer is almost always "yes", although many patients confess they rarely, if ever, shoot. A significant portion of my patient population is depressed, makes no difference to me regarding the fire arms question. It is a very large part of my professional duty to help my patients preserve their hearing. Ears, balance, and hearing are my concern.

I also REQUIRE an original official government photo ID to copy for the chart, almost always the driver's license, how else can I know and prove the pt is who they claim to be rather than one defrauding the system. We do occasionally catch some one impersonating another on pre-employment exams or comp exams.

Regarding obama care or other tyrannical government demands one way or the other restricting my First Amendment rights, I choose to follow the Constitution and ask or not ask as I see best for my patient's care.

prs

If my Doctor asked while discussing a problem which might be related (and I don't always make the connections), I would have no problem with it. I would assume that this is what you are talking about. I don't believe it's the Doctors one has to worry about either, as most I have seen really were concerned primarily about my health. I don't trust the companies managing the networks to not overlook certain other things which may affect me in a negative way in the name of efficiency.

From what I gather, the concern is a recent inclusion of specific questions asked of every individual on a form and the question is followed up with whether there are children in the house and whether the guns are secured, which doesn't sound like they're concerned about the patient's hearing - so the motive in that case is suspect. This sounds to me like some totally different motive than what you describe. I have been asked whether I own/use firearms as part of a discussion about my hearing and within that context I see no problem. A friend just told me he and his wife have both seen these questions on forms when they went to the Doctor's office recently. If they are asking at that point (before the patient is seen) for this information, why not ask if there are step ladders in the home or a trampoline in the back yard? Not to be smart about it, but both pose known hazards and it's commonly accepted that they are associated with accepted risks. The list of questions could be almost endless.

I appreciate your point regarding ID and agree except that I do not think that it should be kept as a permanent electronic record, especially if no one really knows why they are doing it. The case I mentioned never revealed a single answer even closely resembling something as valid as what you mentioned - all the way up to the individual who supposedly wrote the policy. One of the excuses was that, as a patient, who was assumed to eventually pay for the services, became a creditor to the hospital or practice and that the government required this record be kept in the manner for that reason. I at first expected that it was to make sure the right patient got the right treatment but that was never mentioned. Still, showing ID and someone having a copy permanently on file is different. The loss of control of personal information can be devastating to the individual but the consequences to whoever lost control of it are effectively nothing in comparison - if one could prove which of the many demanding this information was the one who lost it.

It sounds like you are very conscientious and I don't doubt you have no nefarious motives regarding the use of others' personal information yourself but the same cannot be assumed of everyone. I'm glad you chimed in too because you see apsects of this that most of the rest of us cannot.

Bzcraig
04-20-2013, 01:07 AM
If this to happen to me and being a disabled vet I go to the VA hospital who often ask question that seem odd, with all due respect I would tell them it is none of their business

RP
04-20-2013, 02:41 AM
Maybe they are asking in case you don't pay your bill and they have to come looking for the money and don't want to get shot.

dudits
04-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Maybe they are asking in case you don't pay your bill and they have to come looking for the money and don't want to get shot.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thanks RP i really needed that :)

sounds like yall have better docs where yall are at. docs here are horrible i could go off on a very ling tangent about wheaton franciscon but that would be off subject.

i went to the ER 2 tears ago and was told i had to hobble back out to car and disarm,"ankle was dislocated and foot was pretty much sideways" i really thougt i was going to get arrested.
i just woke my fiance up to ask her this question. she said she was asked about guns when she went for her last physical/checkup. she replied "i have a concealed carry permit and i carry a pink semi auto" they asked no further questions about the subject.

cbrick
04-20-2013, 08:11 AM
None of the doctors that I have seen this year (3) has asked me about firearms. I'm feelin' kinda' left out! If they ever do, then I will simply say NO, with no discussion or amplification. It's not any of their business.

Judging by the Texans I've known there is no need or reason for any doctor in Texas to ask about firearms, they just automatically fill the question with . . . Numerous! :mrgreen:

Rick

Bulltipper
04-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Jeff H said it for me exactly word for word...

dakota
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
My doctor's two favorite things to do is shooting prairie dogs and hunting pheasants. May I suggest stop supporting left wing pinkos, no matter if they are doctors, lawyers, or hollywood stars. By the way remember Hanoi Jane when you might be thinking that 'Regan' would be a good movie to watch.

beex215
04-20-2013, 06:42 PM
the question on guns was in a survey. i had to fill one out a few years ago to see the doc. i said no to it. whats a gun?

EMC45
04-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Was at the VA hospital the other day. I was waiting for the question on guns. Never came. They asked if I had PTSD several times though. The answer was no. They did tell me I was over weight though (5", 9" 170lbs) and my cholesterol was high (bad cholesterol was 115).

phonejack
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Both my wife and I have recently, different doctors, they didn't ask.

762 shooter
04-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Filled out a patient information form for Dr.
Do you have firearms at your residence?
Answer: N/A
Never heard a word about it.

Bullet Caster
04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Since my health care is the VA and I'm being treated for PTSD, my shrink always asks me if I want to harm myself or others. We've discussed guns 'cause she knows I'm a shooter and asks my wife who attends the session with me, if she should make access to them unaccessable. We always reply with a definite "NO".

Last time I checked the VA declined to send any information to the feds concerning PTSD, but I know I'll be one of the first to have weapons confiscated if and when it ever comes to that. Then I'll be glad to show 'em the business end of my weapons. BC

NSP64
04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
went last week for a check up and they didn't ask about guns or sex partners. WTH I need a new DR I guess. LOL.
I feel left out.

fishnbob
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I have an upcoming appointment and if asked the question I think I will say, "I am going to follow Joe Biden's advice and get a double barreled shotgun but I just haven't had time to do it."

jonp
04-21-2013, 04:24 PM
One asked my better half that question and she told her it was none of her f***** business if she did or didn't and then found a new doctor. Just say no, folks.

Epd230
04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Be careful of how you answer that question. The government is not allowed to register firearms owners, but now it is law for everyone to have health care. If they then include firearms ownership in the basic health care forms, then they have just created a registry!

Your answer to the question should be a simple, No. Thereby not creating any reason for the interviewer to doubt your sincerity and note it in your file, that will be shared with the feds.

Poohgyrr
04-21-2013, 07:35 PM
And when the feds check forums like this one, they will, or already do, know who has guns. They can check every single thing we do on the internet - whatever we type or see on the screen is theirs.

We have recalled one Governor; there are several other names that should also be on that list - but are not......

bhuch5
04-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Not the doctor but my grandson's preschool registration forms asked if there were guns in the house. I left it blank. NOYDB -Bruce H

Lloyd Smale
04-22-2013, 06:04 AM
mine asks if i remembered to bring him a stick of venison summer sausage. Hes not much of a hunter but is an avid fisherman and believe it or not hes originaly from Egypt. Hes been here for over 30 years though so i consider him as american as me. Best doctor i ever had

6bg6ga
04-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Mine hasn't said jack about guns. He is more interested in if I am using salt. I think he knows I would tell him its none of his damn business. You guys need to consider that the SOBS already have the makings of a gun list because we all jumped on the bandwagon and got our carry/permits to purchase when we could. The sheriff in my county lists the people that are getting permits for the week. Makes it better for the crooks this way because they have a name that they can easily look up in the phone book.

ebner glocken
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
My wife and I usually take our children to the Dr. together. Today was different, she took one earlier, I took the other later as schedules permitted. We have been there together numerous times, they never asked. This morning when they had my wife alone with child they asked "Are there any firearms in the household?" she replied "not that I know of". Later today they didn't bother asking me. Apparently this is another tatic.

She just gave birth to our second child a couple of weeks ago. While I stepped out of the labor and delivery room to use the bathroom they handed her the questioneer with questions like... "are you in fear of your life from another household memeber"..."are you verbelly, phisically, or mentally abused by another member of your household?". Six years ago when we had our older child they asked the same questions with one major exception, they actually spoke to the two of us for a few minutes, figured pretty quickly this wasn't the case, and then said "we have to ask these questions", asked right in front of me, and we all laughed while she answered. Apparently common sense has completly left the room in the last six years.

At this point in time I really would like to thank XXXXX health systems for the strep infection my wife contracted while in their hospital, the four hour wait for some antiboitic for the strep. I am being billed for both as I am not on any government subsidized health insurance program, it's out of pocket. rant over....

Ebner

snowwolfe
04-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I've had several people recently tell me they went to the Dr. for matters that could not be interpreted as emotional, such as routine annual female check ups or a blood test, and been asked if they have guns at home and if they are depressed.

Just tell the doctor the only thing that depresses you is when people ask you if you have guns at home. Also, mention to him (or her) the voices in your head keep on telling you that you don't like doctors.

remy3424
04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Either of my doctors would know the answer without the need to ask. I run into one at gunshows and the other typically engages in playful banter about these types of things as our views are polar opposite (she's a friend from HS of 30 plus years)

Nose Dive
04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Mmmm... Well, "really my dear, that is none of your or this hospitals business. Please fill the script, call Mr. Obama for your bonus and payment for this visit and I wish you a very good day."

Nose Dive

Cheap, fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-29-2013, 09:47 PM
s ...

Cooperwin
04-29-2013, 11:23 PM
I was at a 2nd Dr's office today after an MRI,then CT scan, and blood tests. The first office didn't have it on their history forms. She is not employed by the local hospital conglomerate. The specialist is. The question was blended in with if I operated motorcycles, chainsaws and something else I forget. I left it blank.

David LaPell
05-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Last year when we took our son to one of his routine check ups, the nurse asked if we had guns in the house. I told her no. The wife looked at me and didn't say anything and while we were waiting for the doctor to come in she asked me why I told her we had no guns. I said that if we had told her it was none of her business that would be a red flag and would be just as good as saying yes, and that there is no reason for them to know what was in the house. On the other hand my doctor for me is a hunter and has a photo board of his patients with deer, turkeys, fish, etc. We have often compared notes. I asked him once about this stuff and he told me that this could eventually end up as an insurance thing so it's best to say no.

Muddydogs
05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
I have been asked if I was depressed but nothing about guns. I have been trying to come up with something good to say when asked about being depressed that doesn't answer the question but also doesn't imply that i'm depressed. Give me some ideas.

alamogunr
05-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I have an 8:00 AM appointment tomorrow morning. I suspect that the most invasive question I will be asked is "Are you fasting?", so they can do the blood work.

marlin39a
05-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Read this post the other day, and had 2 doctor appointments scheduled. I was ready for the question. Never came. Then again, this is Arizona and the doc's probably got a gun close by for office protection.

slide
05-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Went two days ago, wasn't asked.

Mud Eagle
05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Docs have been asking the 'firearms in the house' question for 20 years.

Silver Jack Hammer
05-02-2013, 09:20 AM
The most invasive question is: Would you turn around and grab your ankles.

Ed_Shot
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Had a check up yesterday. We talked about range time. Doc shoots a Glock 22 also.