PDA

View Full Version : proper gas check seating

lead chucker
04-17-2013, 03:09 AM
I read a post about a guy having checks come off at the muzzle. I have had the same problem 30 cal bullets. So what is the proper way of seating these. I have the lee push through sizer. I place the check on the bullet put it in this short brass tube and give it a light tap to make sure the check is on all the way. I have a little rod that fits the nose of the bullet in the tube that's what I tap on to seat the check. I then dip the bullet into hot Felix lube to fill the lube grooves. After I get as many as I need dipped I run them nose first through the sizer. They turn out looking good. Do you guys think the heated lube is getting down between the check and the bullet base making them come off. These are aluminum checks. I've been making them with the free checks II. This is a pretty slick little check maker. The material best I can measure is .015. I heated it with a torch and that took all the sting out of it.

fcvan
04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
It sounds like you are seating the boolits ok, and the lube melting shouldn't be a problem. You pushing them through the sizer base first. The check needs to be swaged onto the shank in order to ensure they are firmly attached. Many boolit shanks are slightly tapered and the inside of the check is often tapered open. Pushing them nose first allows the check to squeeze the boolit out of the check because the boolit isn't firmly pressing against the check. Sizing base first keeps the boolit in the check as the boolit is actually pushing the check through.

Try sizing base first and see how they do. You may need to modify the sizer punch to fit the boolit nose. Take a sized/lubed boolit and place it into the die body about halfway. Make sure the die body has been lubed. Clean the sizer punch very well. Make up some JB Weld and and put it into the die body. Run the sizer punch into the die body slowly in order to try and get any air bubbles out of the die body. Let it set up over night and poof, you have a nose punch that fits your boolit.

Sizing nose first is likely the reason why your checks are not firmly swaged/seated onto the check shank. Try them base first.

lead chucker
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I will try that, thanks for the info.