PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 and melted lube?

Spokerider
04-17-2013, 01:35 AM
So I have the Lyman 45 all cleaned up and ready to go, it was a breeze to clean up, I just need to fill it with new lube.

I have solid sticks of White Label 50/50. I need to melt the lube to fill the reservoir. So, with the die in place, will the hot liquid lube run out of the sizer, into and through the holes in the die, flood the die, and make a mess? Do I need to have a boolit in the die to avoid this?

Also , never having used any luber sizer before........just how hard do you have to turn the ratchet to squeeze lube in to each boolit? Do you have to turn the ratchet to lube each and every boolit?

I have read that the 50/50 does not require a heater to use in a 45 luber/sizer, but what is the optimum temp that the luber / sizer and lube should be for best flow / lubing results.

Thanks with the newbie questions!

boltons75
04-17-2013, 01:44 AM
As far as filling, with the die in place, the inner punch of the die should prevent leaking through the die. You might have a little come out here and there, but it shouldn't flow out.

As far as pressure, on my rcbs I was going every 5 or six boolits between adjusting. Play with it, you'll get the feel pretty quick.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
don't worry, pouring melted lube into a lube-sizer (with the die installed) there will be NO LEAKING. becareful not to spill, that is easy to do. Also, besure to install the pressure nut soon after pouring, so the presssure screw is held plumb.

while sizing and lubing, I use a ratchet to turn the pressure screw, I do turn it for every boolit, about 1 click....meaning very little. 50/50 shouldn't need any heat...BUT, if your room is cold (like 60º or colder) you might want some heat.
Hint about pressure: the least amount of pressure applied to the lube (but just enough to fill the grooves) will yield the best results in regard to not making a mess. There is certainly a learning curve, and some boolit designs and die designs just mate naturally...and some don't.
Good Luck,
Jon

johnh57
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
I am new/returning and relearning to this as well. On my 450 about an 1/8 of a turn on the ratchet will lube 4-5 bullets (2 lube rings .357 bullets) I've found though that when you do that it also tends to fill in voids around the gas checks, beveled bases, etc. So now I just barely nudge the ratchet after each bullet is in the die. I get much less lube filling beveled bases (countersinking the bottom piston helped there also) and less lube around the top of the gas check. In general much cleaner bullets.

atr
04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
you don't have to necessarily melt the lube .....just cut the solid sticks into short sections and press them down over the threaded post in the middle...

mold maker
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
A Goodwill coffee pot is a simple way to melt and pour all firm lubes. The spout makes it easy, to be clean.

avogunner
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a heater on my 450 to use with Carnuba Red and I use my 45 for the soft 50/50 lubes. Even with the soft lubes in the 45 I still like to have a little heat (like a light bulb) on the sizer before I start. I too like to use as little pressure as possible to prevent leaking or excess lube building under the boolit and with a little heat, the lube flows much easier and fills the lube grooves in one stroke. Like JonB inferred above, if the room is a little chilly, the lube is a little stiffer and more pressure is needed. Also, more times than not, I find that I have to "double stroke" the boolit to completely fill the grooves.
Just experiment around a little and you'll get the feel of it quickly.

Spokerider
04-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Great tips guys, thanks.
After I posted, I got thinking about the inner punch being in place.

Good old Goodwill.........I do like the coffee pot idea for melting lube. I just bought 2 pewter mugs there yesterday for $2.

About the O rings for the dies......does anyone know the actual size of them? I would like to buy a few from the local auto parts store. I *could* just bring the old one in, but if I knew the actual size.......

Thanks.

johnh57
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
The o-ring on the die body is 5/8" i/d 11/16" o/d 1/16" dia ring. I picked up 3 of them at ace last week.

Spokerider
04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the O ring size.

Picked up some die O rings from the auto supply store. Went to the local aluminum boat builder and got a piece of scrap aluminum plate, and went to Goodwill and picked up a small traveling clothes iron, went home and built the sizer heater and then filled the 45 up with melted lube. Just waiting on a 45 70 mold from Tom...........

DLCTEX
04-22-2013, 09:45 PM
When pouring lube into the reservoir leave space for the piston or you will have fun getting the assy. back together! Different boolits, different lubes, different ambient temps, will all determine how much pressure and how often to adjust. 22 cal need little, 479 cal needs a lot.

Mk42gunner
04-23-2013, 12:44 AM
What works best for me is to fill the reservoir with lube, reinstall the piston, then let it cool down so the lube sets up. I refill the sizer after use.
Robert