PDA

View Full Version : Where to get mold for 300 grain .41 wadcutter/semiwadcutter with gaschecks for 41 mag

AJAX22
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I had a crazy Idea I want to give a try..... may be a bad idea, but i have to see what it does (literally something that came to me in a dream as nutty as that sounds).

I want to get some molds I can use to cast dead soft 300 (or possibly a little more) grain bullets for my 41 magnum ruger superblackhawk. (4 5/8 barrel)

I think if I get the molds made to accommodate gas checks I may be able to get something with interesting kinnetic energy transfer worked up without having too much leading ..

So.... how do I make this happen?

I have a little time, the 41 mag is taking a bit of work to track down all the parts, then I have to finish the engraving, parkerize her, and make a holster before she is ready for phase one testing .... (and then I have to track down or fabricate a brass gripframe, brass ejector housing, and brass rear sight for phase two)

I don't plan on shooting a particularly high volume, would prefer to get a single cavity (or dual cavity) mold made, and I also need a good smaller volume melting/pouring setup, sizing setup, loading setup etc....

I want to make this happen bad enough that I'm willing to make the investent on whatever I need to make the dream into a reality.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Here is the 41 Mag as she currently sits

Adam10mm
04-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Design your own moulds with mountainmolds.com. I don't think there's anything that heavy commercially available. You'll have to make your own mould.

45 2.1
04-17-2013, 09:09 AM
It already exists... RCBS makes it (a special order mold) among others.... already tried and discarded. It does work well in the smaller Sharps bottle neck cases though.... where you can get enough velocity to do some good. I would advise you to quit listening to the kinetic energy pundits also. A 260 gr. is about optimal for the case also.

dakotashooter2
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I knew I had seen 300 gr bullets somewhere.........

http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Doc_Stihl
04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Accurate molds makes some 41 heavy weights. 300 should be doable.

Don Purcell
04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
You may be getting into the realm of rate of rifling twist if it is suitable for that much weight. But, hey, we all like to experiment
so carry on. The stocks are... um...a... interesting

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I have a Ranch Dog 41 mold that's 255gr. I don't recall if I have a PB or GCed or a 3x3 ?
If you're interested in some boolits, let me know.
Jon

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 01:40 PM
I seriously doubt you'll have enough case space or velocity to even need gas checks.
I don't wanna dissuade your dream but you will want to look at a fast twist rate for stabilization at 800 fps.
or back the weight down to the 250-260gr range.

GLL
04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I agree with Doc !
Talk to Tom at Accurate Molds and design exactly what you want to fit your specific gun . :)

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Jerry

Doc_Stihl
04-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I shoot a 270 GR TC that was made by NEI for one of the SSK 41 wildcats. It's pretty long being that it's got a short fairly pointy nose, it uses up alot of case capacity. I would think a 300 WFN wouldn't be much longer over all and could be made to utilize alot more of the cyclinder with more nose. Mine pokes nice clean holes at 100 yards out of my redhawk. Plenty accurate out to 200 yards. I wouldn't worry about stabilization at 300 grains.

missionary5155
04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Good morning
Dan Wesson may have made the longest cylinders available in standard revolvers. Have a caliber .41 DW and it is very usful to be able to seat out to 1st grease grooves. I shoot 280 grainers in the standard 1-18.5 twist barrel. It works but I have that extra cylinder length to play with. Never tried to see how slow I could go and still have a stable boolit. I wanted at least 1000 fps and the DW will do that.... again extra case capacity in long a cylinder.
A long throated contender would be another easy one to work with. The caliber.414 super mag DW really lets you go long. Again DW cylinders are longer so you get to seat long.
Just some caliber .41 shooter observations.
Mike in Peru

dakotashooter2
04-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Another issue with those long bullets may be throat size, especially with a WNFP. My Ruger throats were a bit undersized and forced me to seat a 260 grainer even deeper to get them to chamber.