PDA

View Full Version : Question on reworking a modification to a Chilean Mauser

milsurpaddict
04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
My Mauser has been re-chambered to the NATO round. I was wondering if the chamber sleeve that was added to the rifle can be taken out and re-soldered by a Pro gun smith? I understand that the original sleeves might have some problems with the soldering. I was also wondering if a gun smith could somehow create a gas vent for this old Mauser or is that not possible?

Thanks in advance

pietro
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
It's my understanding that (7x57) Chilean Mausers were modified to 7.62 NATO via rebarreling, not just rechambering the 7mm (.284") barrels - which turned out to be not such a good idea, given that the early design of the M-93/95 in 7.62 NATO will also accept the more powerful .308 Winchester.

If your intent is to repair/restore the rifle to the NATO cartridge, I would urge you to please consider a rebarrel to a chambering more inline with the rifle's design parameter, like the .250 Savage, the 7x57 or a .257 Bob.

If your rifle does indeed have a .308" bore/bbl, another option would be to sleeve the chamber to .300 Savage - which a skilled gunsmith (not an AR parts-changer) should be able to do, along with a gas vent if you want.

Dutchman
04-18-2013, 03:45 AM
It's my understanding that (7x57) Chilean Mausers were modified to 7.62 NATO via rebarreling,

No. The 1895 were re-bored using original 7mm barrels. The Modelo 1912 were the ones rebarreled.

Dutch

Dutchman
04-18-2013, 03:46 AM
My Mauser has been re-chambered to the NATO round. I was wondering if the chamber sleeve that was added to the rifle can be taken out and re-soldered by a Pro gun smith? I understand that the original sleeves might have some problems with the soldering. I was also wondering if a gun smith could somehow create a gas vent for this old Mauser or is that not possible?

Thanks in advance

IMHO, this would be overly costly for what you'd end up with. Mo'better to just rebarrel to a more appropriate cartridge. And pay attention to the issue of lug setback.

Dutch