PDA

View Full Version : is this press alright?

domainfitz
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

what other equipment would i need to get?

country gent
04-16-2013, 11:05 PM
How many difrent calibers are you loading for? A turret for each die set is nice makes changing over much faster. Shell holders for each caliber. A solid bench or stand to mount it on. As you load you will find things to aquire. A case polisher of some sort to clean brass is handy also. A 3 ring binder notebook paper and dividers. To keep notes load data in by caliber, this enables you to look up and see what load steps components you used in a given loading from date started to current. This note book allows loads to be replicated or mistakes not to be. I can look in my binders and see what a given cartridge powder combination was back into the mid 1970s.

Johnny_Cyclone
04-16-2013, 11:16 PM
That press is more than alright.

A set of reloading dies
An extra turret or two for more dies later on.
Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Riser (114080) so you can use the Safety Prime System
Dial caliper is handy for checking things like case length, over all length, misc. diameters, etc.
Bullet puller (hammer style is fine) for those occasional whoopsie's

Maybe a Lee (Case Length Gage and Gage Shellholder) to go with the included Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud for triming your brass (mostly for rifle use, they do grow. I wouldn't worry about it on pistol..for now)
The included LEE book will explain a lot of stuff.

That's all I think that you would need.
There may be some little things, but those things are based more on your wants than on your needs

GT1
04-17-2013, 02:44 AM
You would have to spend quite a bit more to get a better press than a Classic Turret. It is the best value out there, bar none. I've loaded a couple thousand .223 and 9mm on mine and it is really sweet to use.

Chilmonty
04-17-2013, 09:16 AM
That is great press and is what I have been using for years! Easy caliber changes and although not as fast as a progressive press, it is MUCH faster than a single stage press. All excellent advice above^.

domainfitz
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
What about a lee pro 1000 progressive press 40s&w. I've found a few for. 174 with the dies. I can change caliber dies to do different caliber yea? If so I think that may be better. Its 50 lessthan the classic turret and it already has the 40s&w die

DxieLandMan
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a pro 1000 for both 9mm and .38/.357. It is all I use for pistol calibers although I prime my shells with a hand primer.

domainfitz
04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
But I can do rifle rounds if I wanted to right? Or would I have to buy a press for each caliber

dmclark523
04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
The short answer is yes, you can do rifle as well as pistol on this press. It seems that you do not know a whole lot about reloading. My advice to you, before you buy the press, would be to pick up a good manual for reloading. In it, you will get most of your questions answered and better understand what you are about to buy...

domainfitz
04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Yea ima get a manual at the same time as the press. I can get the lee 2nd edition around 20 bucks

Ben
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
A great press for the money that you're spending ! !

Rick459
04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
here's the better deal comes with dies. HTH
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=190&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

Rick459
04-17-2013, 06:41 PM
here's what you can load on the Lee Pro 1000

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-pro-1000/lee-pro-1000-shell-plates-and-carriers

freebullet
04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
I promise if ya get and don't like it you can send it to me.

Infidel
04-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I have had Lee stuff since I started loading 20 years ago. For years I carried a Lee hand press to work, in a shoe box, and loaded bullets there. Inexpensive reloading, good product support, how can you go wrong. I have other loaders now, but still have some of my calibers supported by my Lee's. I have a 1000. the only problem I've had with it is the occasional screw up with the primer feed.

Vindicated
04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I have the same press and I love it. I started off leaving the auto indexing rod out until I got the hang of it. Right now I'm only reloading for 45ACP, using the Lee Deluxe Carbide Die set. I also have and like the Pro Disk Auto Measure, but may I suggest getting the Lee adjustable charge bar.

The Lee Safety Prime is ok. It works fine, but feels like a toy, and you could do without it to save a few bucks. Some times i use it, mainly because its there, but other times i don't. Now on to the Lee Safety Scale. It's very accurate and feels well made, but can be real hard to read and zeroing is a pain in the butt. Its the only item i actually regret buying. I ended up buying a $40 digital scale as a backup and just last week I splurged on a used RCBS 505 scale. If I had gotten the RCBS scale first I'd never have gotten the digital scale. The difference in ease of use is astonishing.

Next I suggest is to get some check weights and another reloading manual. Lee is a good read and I do think it's a good buy, but their reloading data is lacking. So you'll find it very useful to have a backup loading manual. I recommend going with the brand of bullets you intend to use. I have Lyman, Speer, Hornaday, and Midway's free reloading book (PDF). Every one has something the other has.

Last things I'd add to your shopping list is a bullet puller, reloading trays, max case guage, and a caliper.

domainfitz
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
now i just gotta find one in stock lol

Gillie Dog
04-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Here you go:

Lee Classic Cast Turret kit- http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit

They have 80 of them

GD

BW64
04-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Here you go:

Lee Classic Cast Turret kit- http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit

They have 80 of them

GD

Can't go wrong with Titan Reloading. Good prices & good service. I also have the Lee 4 hole which does my 9,38,45 & 0223.

BW