PDA

View Full Version : A nice day at the range testing loads

texassako
04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
I love it when most of a range trip yields results. First up was a boolit I really wanted to try in my Llama XVIII, a 31gr .251" mold from the S&S on here. It was cut by LBT for airguns, but figured it would well in a .25 ACP. It started cycling consistently at 1.5gr of Clays with great accuracy for a mouse gun and a shooter with essential tremor(basically I always shake) at 10 yards.

Next oddball up was 7.35 Carcano at 50 yards with my new Accurate mold, and I have to give a big thanks to Buckshot's for his post on loading cast in a 7.35 Carcano. My scoped sporter broke the cartridge follower(?) spring as I was loading the enbloc; so these were done with the Cav Carbine and its' very rudimentary open sights. Turned the necks down so it is .324" when loaded with the boolit sized to .302". I only had enough empty brass for 1 fouling shot and 2 3 shot groups for the cast.

I can't wait to get the scoped sporter fixed and back at the range to test this one:

This is what it did with a jacketed load that I needed to empty to get more brass to test more cast loads. It is a bit of a thumper in a 4 pound rifle, but the closest bullet I have seen to the shape of the original: