PDA

View Full Version : Input on Remingtons Sendero Laminated Stock 308

GP100man
04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
LGS has 1 in stock ,& been thinkin of a bench gun.

Any input good or bad is appreciated.

I already have a fixed 36X scope but no rifle .

Frank46
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
My sendero dates back a bunch of years. Has the composite stock. Still had to glass bed it to get good accuracy. I have a laminated stock for the same rifle. Shot it and for some reason did not do as well as the glass bedded one. Guessing the bedding was the trick. Somewhat like the old rangemaster stocks for the 40x. I have a 40x in 308 with the laminated stock. Its a single shot stock. I found the rangemaster stock fit me better. I always have trouble with the 40x laminated stock as the length of pull is too long and the comb height is too high and I have problems mashing my cheek against the come to get a good sight picture. Heck, I even bought a surplus 40x rimfire stock from dupage trading when they were selling them. Turned my sendero from a magazine gun to a single shot. Whatever contour they used for the 40x rimfire barrel is almost dead nuts for the same barrel on the sendero. So there you have my experiences such as they are. Frank

04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I've had two friends with Sendero's:
1 - .308 shot horrible until some tinkering made it a real shooter. Went through all sorts of turmoil until I fire lapped the thing. Appears that whatever the finish was also got into the barrel and made it rough as can be. After a judicious amount of fire lapping, it settled right down and is a sub-moa shooter now.
2 - .300 Win Mag. -- Waiting for the glass bed job to cure before shooting. Sure seems like it should be a good shooter. Won't know 'till next week.

RickinTN
04-18-2013, 09:20 PM
It has been my experience over several laminated stock and factory fiberglass stocked rifles, 3 of which are .308 Winchester chambered, that they are good shooters. It seems that proper bedding is sometimes critical and sometimes not. One thing which has been consistent is that it usually takes between 80 and 120 rounds before they settle in and start shooting to what seems to be their full potential. I'm sure you would enjoy the rifle.
Rick

Fishman
04-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I have had mine for about twelve years, a stainless fluted 300 mag with the fiberglass/aluminum bedding block stock. I fire lapped mine lightly with very fine grit and the first handload out of the box was well below moa at 200 yds. I really like it but it is needlessly heavy, powerful, and accurate for a dedicated deer gun, which is what I mostly use it for.

Nobade
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I make my living making Remington 700s shoot well. There is nothing about that rifle that can't be done to make it a tack driver. BTW, if it is a 308 it is not a Sendero. That is what they called their heavy long action rifles. If it has a laminated stock it is a VLS model. I still believe that is the best stock available on a Remington. Super solid laminate, much better quality than any of the aftermarket stocks out there. At any rate, those are the rifles I would start with if I wanted an accurate Remington. See how it works out of the box and if it's not what you need then it can always be improved to whatever level you desire and your wallet allows.

-Nobade