PDA

View Full Version : Here it comes; black powder or smokeless powder used in bombs

Olevern
04-16-2013, 07:36 PM
According to Reuters news service "At least one bomb and possibly both were built using pressure cookers as the superstructure, black powder or gunpowder as the explosive and ball bearings as additional shrapnel, according to current and former counterterrorism officials briefed on the matter"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/16/us-usa-explosions-boston-idUSBRE93F06T20130416?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Here we go!.................

arjacobson
04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
I KNEW they were going to do this... Now they will try to BAN gunpowder for reloading or make it such a pain to get through regulations......pukes

lksmith
04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Since the thinly veiled progressive agenda is the complete elimination of private/civilian gun rights, this shouldn't be a surprise.
First ban guns, either at once or incrementally
Second, ban or otherwise make it difficult to impossible for individuals to get loaded ammo
Last, do step 2 for reloading components (powder, primers, bullets, brass, lead, etc)

"Never let a good crisis go to waste" they used newtown as a platform to infringe on gun rights, now they'll use this to go after reloaders.

Sad but appears to be true

John in WI
04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
as horrible as this bombing was, I'm just very glad that it didn't involve a dreaded "assault rifle". If I see one more Glock or AR-15 on TV I'm going to scream.

rockrat
04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Tonights TV reported Black powder. BOHICA it seems, at least for BP

larryp
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
With the prez's AWB all but dead in the water doesn't this smell kinda fishy as to the timing? Maybe what's known as a "black flag" op?

BLTsandwedge
04-16-2013, 08:25 PM
A pressure cooker filled with nails and black powder. How much BP could you get into a pressure cooker along with loose shrapnel.....two pounds? Three? Could three pounds of black cause so much damage? I honestly don't know- I've never used BP as an explosive. If BP was used, those who would tie it back to 2A issues would be shut down in a heartbeat by our simply reciting the formula for BP and describing the very simple process (dangerous as hell as it may be) to make it in one's own living room.....and/or pointing to the bajillion youtube vids on making BP. The gun libtard retort (i.e. we hafta ban potassium nitrate) would be akin to banning gasoline...only less effective as we can make our own niter too.

Swamp Man
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
The bombs were all part of the plan to disarm us.

firefly1957
04-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Actually this can be used to prove our point even when they take our guns the evil will still be able to kill. They do not need gum powder either as matches can be used for the same thing!

Blacksmith
04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Any Senator who votes for the gun control bills in Congress and doesn't demand registration of pressure cookers, background checks for purchase of alarm clocks and cell phones, and a punitive tax on 9 volt batteries is a hypocrite.

BLTsandwedge
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Actually this can be used to prove our point even when they take our guns the evil will still be able to kill. They do not need gum powder either as matches can be used for the same thing!

That's the very obvious truth. But, like lksmith reminded us- never let a good disaster go to waste. Antis will want to contrive every spin possible on this.....if a firearm propellant was used they'll eat it up. The spinmeisters would really have a field day if, once this *** is caught, they find another 'arsenal' with him...say a horrid cache consisting of two shotguns, a single shot .22 and 300 rounds of ammo. The antis would go bannanas. They could- and would- say that only gun owners have the mind-set to be so destructive. That's just one scenario we need to watch for......

BLTsandwedge
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Any Senator who votes for the gun control bills in Congress and doesn't demand registration of pressure cookers, background checks for purchase of alarm clocks and cell phones, and a punitive tax on 9 volt batteries is a hypocrite.

Nails too.....

oldred
04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I got it! Let's ban pressure cookers! And while we are at let's ban nails and ball bearings too, those darn things are too dangerous to have around without some kind of regulation.

That would make about as much sense as banning powder.

ubetcha
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
I think Timithy McVey used fuel oil and fertilizer.They should be banned also then.Black powder is considered an explosive were as gunpowder is a propellent.( I can't spell worth two hoots tonight)

geargnasher
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Let them try to ban it. I can get whatever I want, whenever I want it just like the criminals do anyway.

Gear

wv109323
04-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Lets begin to call them assault nails and ball bearings of mass destruction. Lets also push the slogan" No one needs a cell phone to deer hunt".
To respond to a question, I understand that it was a 6 liter pressure cooker. With that volume I would say you could get 6-8 pounds of any type powder in it. I don't know if the shrapnel was in the pressure cooker or all on the outside. Black powder is not easy to find now days and the limit is four pounds IIRC.
Smokeless powder can be used in making a bomb. I understand that the quick pistol powders are best ( like Bullseye). Of course the smokeless powder needs to be contained to create an explosion. I did not think a pressure cooker would be the ideal vessel to use but what do I know about making a bomb.
That much black powder could be serious. I am amazed that more people were not killed/hurt/injured in such a crowded area.
I truly believe that God is still watching over America. We have not had the natural disasters or acts of terror on the scale that many countries have experienced.

km101
04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Now we will see renewed legislation to place "taggants" in all black and smokeless powder. If they cant take our guns, they will try to make them useless by banning/restricting the components used to make ammo.

The average person doesn't understand how ammunition or reloading works and probably doesn't care if the components are banned. The administration may see this as an easier route to take in disabling rather than banning guns. They see it as a simple matter: If they cant shoot them, it's almost the same as not having them.

AJAX22
04-17-2013, 12:04 AM
It looked like pyrodex from the video footage... probably rather significant quantities based on the smoke (3lbs or more)

sbeatty1983
04-17-2013, 12:07 AM
With the prez's AWB all but dead in the water doesn't this smell kinda fishy as to the timing? Maybe what's known as a "black flag" op?

Honestly, it wouldnt surprise me if obama personally made the call that set them off. That man is evil incarnate and ive given up being surprised at his new lows.

M-Tecs
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Doesn't look like BP fouling on on the lid. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/16/17784776-new-details-on-bombs-as-marathon-investigation-heads-into-second-full-day?lite

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2013, 05:49 AM
When I was in high school we made and detonated B P in chem class. IIRC the key ingredient was CHARCOAL.

Lets ban charcoal.

That will not happen as B H O likes his ribs done slowly over a charcoal fire.

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2013, 06:05 AM
if the antis havent though of this yet there sure to after this thread.

Boz330
04-17-2013, 08:24 AM
When I saw the amount of smoke in the video, the first thing I thought was BP. I've used dynamite before but no other explosives and it doesn't make much smoke. I guess it could be pyrodex although when I saw that chunk of the cooker I thought that it looked like BP fowling. In any case a 6 liter cooker would be a pretty small one. That is probably how many jars it holds not the actual volume. But 6 liters would be approximately 360 cubic inches. I measured one of my Swiss BP containers and it contains 32.8 cubic inches and those cans are far from being full. I would guess the can would hold 1.5lbs. That would make the cooker capacity close to 20lbs of BP and that wouldn't take into account compressing it. Of course there has to be room left for the nails and ball bearings.
As far as is it effective, this is exactly the way the first exploding cannon balls were made. They took a hollow iron ball and filled it with BP and what ever else was available, stuck a fuse in it and a plug. The fuse was trimmed for the flight time to be on top of the enemy troops by the artilleryman.

Bob

ddaniel1
04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
I was hoping last night it didn't involve BP or pyrodex. This will end badly for us if it is.

freebullet
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
News says black gun powder. How many people do you think even know there is a difference between bp and smokeless? Let the media confuse this a bit and it could get ugly. On a better note they said support for the current unconstitutional bills in the senate are losing support. I suppose its harder to muster support for gun bans when bombs go off.

Cactus Farmer
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
NBC reporter used the term "black smokeless powder". When they don't know what they are doing it almost always looks bad for our libertys.

dakotashooter2
04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
There was some speculation that the smoke was due to incomplete detonation of the powder and that the explosive itself was poorly made and not as effective as it COULD have been.

Bill*
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
We have not had the natural disasters or acts of terror on the scale that many countries have experienced.
Really?.... I'm a five minute drive from viewing the NYC skyline.

LynC2
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
When I saw the amount of smoke in the video, the first thing I thought was BP. I've used dynamite before but no other explosives and it doesn't make much smoke. I guess it could be pyrodex although when I saw that chunk of the cooker I thought that it looked like BP fowling. In any case a 6 liter cooker would be a pretty small one. That is probably how many jars it holds not the actual volume. But 6 liters would be approximately 360 cubic inches. I measured one of my Swiss BP containers and it contains 32.8 cubic inches and those cans are far from being full. I would guess the can would hold 1.5lbs. That would make the cooker capacity close to 20lbs of BP and that wouldn't take into account compressing it. Of course there has to be room left for the nails and ball bearings.
As far as is it effective, this is exactly the way the first exploding cannon balls were made. They took a hollow iron ball and filled it with BP and what ever else was available, stuck a fuse in it and a plug. The fuse was trimmed for the flight time to be on top of the enemy troops by the artilleryman.

Bob

I thought that also, a lot of fire and white smoke. Let's hope it was some homemade explosive or stolen explosives involved instead. Regardless the idiots in the media will paint it as a reason to pass more laws to restrict our rights. As the old saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way." Heck, I was making black powder when I was 11 yrs. old before the pharmacist saw me buying saltpeter and flowers of sulfur and asked me what I was doing with it. He didn't buy my explanation that I didn't know and it was for my mom. :-|
And let's not forget the NY nightclub fire using gasoline that killed 87 people in 1990 which demonstrates the virtual impossibility of stopping these horrible acts of terrorism through more regulations.

10-x
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
The VC used nuoc mam pots("contained vessel") as booby traps(IED's) in Vietnam.. The taliban use PRESSURE COOKERS as "IED's: in Afghanistan .........go figure.
Oh, I agree, Granny is going to have to register her pressure cooker, All stores that sell nails are going to have to get the signature and a copy of any buyer's ID. All auto repair shops, machine repair shops will have to account for all worn out ball bearings. Oh, forgot won't be able to walk in and buy replacement wheel bearing sets for your boat trailer either, must go to "an authorized facility".
How do you think that will work...........LOL

Harter66
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
LynC2,
there used to be an airshow reenactment of the B17s limping into Pearl Harbor after the bombing. Why do i mention this ? Because the flash boom "shells" were 5 gallon buckets w/about 4 oz of gasoline and a spark plug igniter screwed through the lid. Every 1 of them had felt heat and concussion over 100yds away.

I wonder if 1 oz in a 1.5 gallon sealed pot would have the same effect , crude ,dirty,untracable,effective. Fits the lone wolf that doesnt want to get caught too.

sundog
04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
How about we just find the SOB that did this, give him an immediate and fair (short, very short) trial, then hang his filthy @$$ in the town square. Make you queezy to watch, head down the street and have a latte while we take care of business.

gnoahhh
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but here in Maryland you have to provide your driver's license and a record of the sale is made for any gunpowder purchase. Such a thing is a PIA but not a major one. What really gripes me though is that the gov't probably has me on some sort of watch list due to the amounts of powder I've bought over the years.

The biggest consequence is that rumors of 'legal gunpowder' used in explosive devices will undoubtedly spark attempts at further regulating it, causing even more hoarding in the immediate future and lengthening the current drought of reloading supplies.

LynC2
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
How about we just find the SOB that did this, give him an immediate and fair (short, very short) trial, then hang his filthy @$$ in the town square. Make you queezy to watch, head down the street and have a latte while we take care of business.

I like the way you think, but most likely if they catch the SOB responsible it will be many years before justice is served. [smilie=b:

popper
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't think the press even knows what a 'duffel' bag is or looks like. Looks more like a 'gym' bag to me. Forensic people know the ingredients, we might not fine out till much later. 1 Gal cooker is a small one, mom's was at least 4 gal. I can hardly carry a bag of shot with one hand, much less a 1 gal container of ball bearings. Security 'sweeps' are easy to beat. What is surprising to me it that it occurred right in front of all the press & cameras, who had been there for the entire race. Guess they were napping until somebody famous crossed the line.

KCSO
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
1 pound of black powder properly placed will send a refrigrator over a 50 foot tree. Remember this was the bursting charge for all the Civil War shells. I suspect the next push will be to limit B/P and make you sign a 4473 to get it. Reminds me of what the British did to India. What was it Ghandi said, "the most terrible thing they did was to disarm an entire populace".

MtGun44
04-17-2013, 12:05 PM
The reports from the news media are that there are terrorist sites on the web putting out
instructions on how to make these. Since BP and reloading propellants are not readily available in
much of the world, apparently they are giving a recipe for something made out of hair salon
chemicals. I think I read that peroxide was involved and it was a liquid. Apparently this is why
the limit of liquids and gels on airliners.

My guess is it was NOT BP or propellant, but something from some online recipe.

I sure hope so.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Pity the CARPENTER

Can you imagine having to record every nails SERIAL NO when you are building a house. Yes you must record the EXACT location of each nail used or you will lose your FFL license and face 10 years in jail if they find ONE nail in the wrong location. The price of your new home just tripled.:evil:

lreed
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
I also thought black powder when I saw the white cloud,however there are reports that the explosive used was a liquid explosive made of acetone,peroxide and acid. I am unfamiliar with the process but understand that the type explosive and the use of pressure cookers are consistent with IED bombs used in mid east. I will wager even if the explosive was made of equal parts unobtainium and pixie dust the Mad cows,communists and others of the left will call for a ban on every thing they can imagine! lreed

Boz330
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Heck, I was making black powder when I was 11 yrs. old before the pharmacist saw me buying saltpeter and flowers of sulfur and asked me what I was doing with it. He didn't buy my explanation that I didn't know and it was for my mom. :-|

I had to laugh seeing that since the exact same thing happened to me, except I said it was for my grandmother, he didn't buy it either. After that we would get the stuff when the little old lady that worked part time was at the register, she didn't have a clue.
I'm still making the stuff for hunting propellant. Gives a whole new meaning to DIY. Looks like it could become a necessity. It hasn't been about 5 years since they tried to restrict the sale of BP the last time but a letter writing campaign got it defeated.

Bob

LynC2
04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I had to laugh seeing that since the exact same thing happened to me, except I said it was for my grandmother, he didn't buy it either. After that we would get the stuff when the little old lady that worked part time was at the register, she didn't have a clue.
I'm still making the stuff for hunting propellant. Gives a whole new meaning to DIY. Looks like it could become a necessity. It hasn't been about 5 years since they tried to restrict the sale of BP the last time but a letter writing campaign got it defeated.

Bob

It seems a lot of us were underage "terrorists" in our youth. An interest in firearms at an early age led many of us down that path. :grin:
I nearly gave my high school Chemistry teacher a heart attack one day when I asked him why this mixture of nitric and sulfuric acid started smoking when I added the glycerin. LOL

softpoint
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Hydrogen peroxide based explosive I heard. Media might call that black powder too, in order to keep from telling the truth. I don't think anything is going to get banned. I can still get nitrate fertilizer by the ton. And, binary explosives are legal, as long as they are used for a legal purpose and not transported after they are mixed.

Ohio Rusty
04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Real Black powder is almost impossible to get at a gun store now. With all the storage rules and regulations and fees imposed on the gun shops over the last 10 years, no gun shops carry it anymore. You can get it, but you have to order it shipped and commonly, some places only sell it by the case. Black powder is highly explosive, especially in the finer grains as it is faster burning. Smokeless burns, BP explodes. For us muzzleloader shooters who depend on real BP for flintlocks, the future could turn ugly.
Ohio Rusty ><>

lksmith
04-17-2013, 07:22 PM
I figure that Tannerite and other "reactive targets will be banned in short order, because in the name they say "exploding" or "Explosive"
and "right wing tea party terrorists will use those next, You don''t even have to show id to buy them and there is no serial number"
Plus they are a heck of a lot of fun, that's reason enough for libs to ban it, be cause rednecks (like me) enjoy using them

lksmith
04-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Real Black powder is almost impossible to get at a gun store now. With all the storage rules and regulations and fees imposed on the gun shops over the last 10 years, no gun shops carry it anymore. You can get it, but you have to order it shipped and commonly, some places only sell it by the case. Black powder is highly explosive, especially in the finer grains as it is faster burning. Smokeless burns, BP explodes. For us muzzleloader shooters who depend on real BP for flintlocks, the future could turn ugly.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Might want to work on your BP making skills!

firefly1957
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Lets begin to call them assault nails and ball bearings of mass destruction. Lets also push the slogan" No one needs a cell phone to deer hunt".
To respond to a question, I understand that it was a 6 liter pressure cooker. With that volume I would say you could get 6-8 pounds of any type powder in it. I don't know if the shrapnel was in the pressure cooker or all on the outside. Black powder is not easy to find now days and the limit is four pounds IIRC.
Smokeless powder can be used in making a bomb. I understand that the quick pistol powders are best ( like Bullseye). Of course the smokeless powder needs to be contained to create an explosion. I did not think a pressure cooker would be the ideal vessel to use but what do I know about making a bomb.
That much black powder could be serious. I am amazed that more people were not killed/hurt/injured in such a crowded area.
I truly believe that God is still watching over America. We have not had the natural disasters or acts of terror on the scale that many countries have experienced.
I think you have a good point here since cell phones cause many deaths from auto accidents and may be used as bomb detonators they should all be outlawed. On the same line we really have no need for news paper either as we have toilet paper available
!

Don Purcell
04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
As I was leaving work today I caught just a part on the radio that our old friend and scumbag Frank Lautenburg wanted to pass a law or amendment to curtail the easy accessibility of buying black powder.

victor3ranger
04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Anyone notice that BHO meeting with the Saudies??? You watch, the one guy they had in the hospital will be sent back to them because he is part of the Royal Family over there.
He will not be tried for this. I was listening to the radio traffic out of Boston when they were moving this guy around, he is for sure involved but with his connection to the Royals he is going to be handed back.

Swamp Man
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Anyone notice that BHO meeting with the Saudies??? You watch, the one guy they had in the hospital will be sent back to them because he is part of the Royal Family over there.
He will not be tried for this. I was listening to the radio traffic out of Boston when they were moving this guy around, he is for sure involved but with his connection to the Royals he is going to be handed back. I knew Obama and his buddies were behind this the second I heard about the bombing. I bet the scumbag has already been sent back.

Blacksmith
04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
I heard the Saudis sent a private jet for him just like after the 911 attack.

Geraldo
04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Anybody try to buy Goex locally? It's not exactly easy to find a place that sells it, and I really can't see Unique going off like that. My guess is this stuff came from a Home Depot or a grocery store.

dagger dog
04-18-2013, 07:23 PM
The Gun Control Act of 1968 had everyone signing for ammo, and especially black powder.

Bad Water Bill
04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
The libraries USED to keep track of ALL who checked out particular books.

Do they still do that or has the internet provided the information?

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
&[/url]

JWFilips
04-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Just Jumping in here After the Boston Mahiem: The day after; all the reporters we saying that based on the smoke it was "Smokeless powder" Now that is a big switch .never head that before! ...just jumps right in there to throw a dig on us re-loaders.... it all leads up to trying to stop our supplies!
JMHO

thekidd76
04-18-2013, 09:17 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-to-propose-bill-regulating-black-power-wake-of-boston-massacre

Bad Water Bill
04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Well I am old enough to remember back to much of the information that was made available in the 60s.

There were MANY stories saying that many items from your own kitchen could could be used to create explosives (flour,sugar and many other forms of powders).

There was talk that ALL special forces had that same training.

If those statements were true will the senator also wish to have all flour etc purchases have to go thru a FFL dealer and be subjected to a NICS check?

I would love to hear what his wife says to him when she returns from grocery shopping AND a trip to her local FFL dealer to buy sugar for his coffee. :evil:

oldred
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Some versions of the "Household products" explosives would have the reader/listener believe that every kitchen has the makings for a bomb, simply mix the right ingredients in the right proportions and BOOM! Well it's true-in a way I guess, but it's not as simple as that. For example Potassium Chlorate can be made from household bleach and salt substitute but it's far from being as simple as mixing them, Potassium Nitrate can be made from the contents of a common freezer pack but again it's not as simple as just dumping the stuff out and mixing it with other ingredients (although most freezer packs do contain Ammonium Nitrate). Certainly common household items can be rendered into oxidizers and fuel but the process can be somewhat involved to create most of the components for a bomb even if it is doable.

I know Steven Segal can spend a few seconds grabing a few bottles from a cabinet, mixing the contents and placing them in a microwave to create an explosion that will destroy a room but Hollywood doesn't get much else right either.

Blacksmith
04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
For anyone really interested in making BP I recommend a visit to Hagley Museum and Library in Wilmington Delaware, it is not far from I-95. Why do I recommend this place? It was the home of the Du Ponts and the company named after them which was founded on making Black Powder. The museum tells the whole story of powder making from formula to working water powered powder mills and a lot of other interesting displays and exhibits on the Du Pont company.
http://www.hagley.org/info.html

montana_charlie
04-19-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-to-propose-bill-regulating-black-power-wake-of-boston-massacre
Somebody should tell Senator Lautenberg that he is working on the wrong issue.

Instead of requiring background checks when purchasing gunpowder, he should propose legislation that requires universal background checks on airline tickets, dish soap, wall-to-wall-carpeting, paper towels, and you-name-it ... universal background checks on everything ever purchased by a Muslim.

That MIGHT prevent a mass killing ... someday ... maybe.

CM

oldred
04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
MC you have "hit the nail on the head", until we forget about political correctness we are doomed to face an ever increasing number of attacks. Do those Idiots, and I do mean IDIOTS, trying to pass laws restricting access to the means to do harm actually think the perpetrators are going to obey these laws? Racial profiling or common sense?

Does anybody with any brains at all actually think a person bent on doing harm on a massive scale is going to give up on the idea because he would have to undergo a background check to obtain the materials? This is stupidity in it's grandest form!

Bullshop
04-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Brave Bravo for you Oldred. On its grandest scale!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-19-2013, 11:20 PM
I would like to see the senator explaining why everyone buying fire works before the 4th of july would need a NICS background check

fire works are black powder

Phoenix
04-19-2013, 11:47 PM
fire works are black powder

Most modern fireworks are made with flash powder. Makes black powder look like vinegar/baking soda.
The ingredients of flash powder is regulated, but get this not by the ATF. by the consumer protection agency.

Very fun, but very dangerous especially in larger quantities.

Multigunner
04-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Most modern fireworks are made with flash powder. Makes black powder look like vinegar/baking soda.
The ingredients of flash powder is regulated, but get this not by the ATF. by the consumer protection agency.

Very fun, but very dangerous especially in larger quantities.

ATF investigates and prosecutes bootleg fireworks that use a charge of over 50 milligrams.
The list of dangerous bootleg firecrackers on their site includes some real man killing devices near as deadly as a grenade even without shrapnel.
I've seen the results of one of these going off in a young mans hand, not at all pretty.

Many years ago several men were killed at a Knoxville park when the fireworks display they were setting up detonated like a bomb. Those were professionals and no one was sure what happened.
A carload of teenagers blew up and burned like a blow torch when a cigarette butt thrown out a window was blow back inside and landed in a large sack of fireworks they had bought in the next county. That was a terrible mess.

The Acetone Peroxide explosive settles out as white crystals, not sure if it can detonate while in the liquid state. When dry a few crystals in the threads of a pipe or bottle top can cause the bomb to detonate while the top is screwed on. A number of Jihadis have blown themselves up using this stuff.
It does not require a closed container to detonate, but a closed container greatly increases the force of the blast.
Basic ingrediants are Drain Cleaner, Acetone, and Hydrogen Peroxide, Battery acid is used in some formulas.

Large quantities of BP can detonate in open air, but not in the sort of quantity you can carry around. The figure I've seen is 500 pounds minimum. In a pressure cooker a BP charge would be near as intense as a high explosive charge.

Pistol or shotgun powders make better pipe or pressure cooker bombs, especially Bullseye which is 58% nitroglycerin.

Phoenix
04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
The regulation I was refering to was for the components not the finished product. One of the bigger suppliers of fireworks making supplies has ver specific information about what they are allowed to sell. And even they specifically state in their FAQ that it is not the ATF that they answer too and that restricts things like 5 micron aluminum powder it is the CPA. I know once you make something the ATF step in, I was only refering to the components.

oldred
04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
It matters little about who regulates what because explosives are all around us if you know where to look, banning explosive materials to the point they are unobtainable would be about as practical as banning sand from a beach. Hundreds of years ago people were blowing up buildings and other people with primitive but very effective explosives made from basic materials using primitive methods. Obviously Sulfur and Charcoal can not be regulated and regulating Potassium Nitrate would only be an annoyance to a prospective bomber, Potassium Nitrate is easy to come by if you know where to look. Even Potassium Chlorate is easy to make and is a much more potent bomb making ingredient than "Niter" and what about Aluminum? Are they going to ban that too? How hard is it to turn Aluminum into a very fine powder? What we truly need to do is ban idiots and pass regulations banning them from making laws then maybe we can get lawmakers to pass sensible legislation that will go after the real problem!

H.Callahan
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Well I am old enough to remember back to much of the information that was made available in the 60s.

Earlier than that. The Federal Government, itself, published instructions for making explosives out of diesel fuel and fertilizer around the 1920's. Its intended purpose was to allow farmers to easily make explosives for blowing out tree stumps from land they were cultivating.

oldred
04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
I remember when I was a kid I went with my dad to a hardware store/farm supply/mining supply in southeast Ky to buy some dynamite. He told the guy at the counter he needed two sticks and some caps and all the guy asked was did want 60% or 90% and did he want fuse or electric caps. Don't know how legal it was but nobody seemed to care if it was against the law.

Phoenix
04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
In some places that wasn't outlawed until the mid 70s by then some ID may have been required. but beleive it or even in NJ you could get it until the early 70s. My best friend growing up his father used it for stump removal several times.

M-Tecs
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...s-in-february/

"William Weimer, vice president of Phantom Fireworks, confirmed that the now-deceased bombing suspect purchased the fireworks on Feb. 6 at the company's Seabrook, N.H., location. He said that each firework has 24 shells containing 60 grams of composition of powder, half of which is black powder"