PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Solder

Mitch
04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I have found some slder at the local scrap yard.it is in the lead bin.There are many small coils most look to be .125 diameter.I have no clue what the alloy is.I wonder if it would be worth picking it out and buying.Bein there could be anything in there.Is there anything that would be bad for casting like Silver of copper found in the lead free solder?I just do not want to have a prolem. I plan on going back soon as i didnt have enough cash to get all the lead i wanted.

Thanks all Mitch

Whiterabbit
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
id get it. most solders are 40% tin or better.

Defcon-One
04-16-2013, 07:45 PM
If it really is Solder, I'd get it if it is the same price as the regular Lead! The Tin content makes it worth much more.

Mitch
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Defcon
this is the point i can get it cheep.But dont want any bad JU JU in there.I am new to the casting game and do not want to create any problems.

220swiftfn
04-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Defcon
this is the point i can get it cheep.But dont want any bad JU JU in there.I am new to the casting game and do not want to create any problems.

The only problem that I can see is if it's acid core.......

Dan

Whiterabbit
04-17-2013, 10:26 AM
only problem I can see is if there's not very much of it.

Mitch
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I am going to stop by and see what i come up with tonight.i just saw alot of small coils of it who knows maybe only a few lbs.Plan on picking up some other lead to.

Mitch
04-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I ended up with 20 lbs of solder.i got most everthig else that was not all coated with tar and ****.Now i am going to sort thru the solder and see how much is acid or rosin core.A quick sample tells me most is solid solder.

220swiftfn
04-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Nice......

Dan

CountryBoy19
04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I ended up with 20 lbs of solder.i got most everthig else that was not all coated with tar and ****.Now i am going to sort thru the solder and see how much is acid or rosin core.A quick sample tells me most is solid solder.

Rosin core is not bad... it's just rosin... Rosin core is for electronics use where the corrosiveness of acid isn't wanted...

Mitch
04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I can see where the acid core is bad on equipment.unlees i come up with alot of cored stuff not going to bother trying to seperate rosin from acid.
my plan it to use the scrap solder for add 2% tin to help out the fill.i may just melt a few lbs at a time to see if the hardness is consitant.i have been melting the solder off the lead pipe joints allso.If i want to make a mix of say 10 to 1 i have some pure tin for that.
so far i have only visited one scrap yard twice,it is on my way home from work.They had mostly sheet and pipe with about 150 lbs of what i think is cast ingots of plumers lead.so far a total of 400lbs from there.I pan to make another trip to a different scrap yard soon.
I am a rookie at scrounging so i am useing the KISS method lol.just getting stuff i can be resonable sure what it is.Tho i did throw in a few ingot that are hard so i can maybe try and figure out what it may be.
get this i asked the guy waiting on me if they ever had and bars of solder.he replied i know where they went they make great sinkers they fill out realy nice.i was nearly speechless and replied that i what i want the solder for is to make the lead fill out nice.So i wont hold my breath on finding any bar solder there.